• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps and powders out of stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really need caps, you could also modify an existing nipple sized for #11s with little effort to work with #10s. 5-6000 caps will wear out more than one nipple, so not having spare nipples will become your Achilles heel once you secure your supply of caps.

What's the difference between #10, and #11 nipples?

Try not to buy from price gougers. The golden caps are REMINGTON#10. if you have pistols.
Bass pro has them at times. You pay more but no HAZMAT. Other caps are more available.
If you stock up on powder remember you must store it in a wooden or weak enclosure.
It is an explosive only if tightly contained. Powders and caps will come back to affordability
before modern ammo does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nipple sizes vary between makers, and cap size varies between makers. Nice, huh?

FOR example, CCI #10s are too small for my Pietta revolver, though Remington #10s fit fine. The CCI#10 fit too tight, and will not "bottom" sufficiently to ignite from the hammer strike, at least not on the first go around.

What's the difference between #10, and #11 nipples?
Unfortunately there is no standard fir sizes and nipples and caps very by manufacturer. Here is a chart recently posted by @Grenadier1758 that may help.
1612065645131.jpeg

Perceived supply and demand set by bidders. I seriously questioned my sanity earlier this month when I ordered 5000 RWS 1075 Plus caps for around $280. I shoot more flint than percussion, but still go through at least 4-500 caps a year, maybe more depending. Typically shoot two to three times a month. Price of admission if you want to play.

There are caps and powder out there but what people are willing to pay is another story. Its not fair to say there is nothing after a persons refusal to agree to the price or quantity. Also, im not buying anything right now but recently came across non-traditional sources like a hardware store in Connecticut selling the items. I usually bump into these when searching for something else and there they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are referring to my post recommending that shooters stock up, then you misunderstood it.
I simply advise people who do shoot actively to stock up. Not to make a profit but for your own
use. You cannot resell without a license. Many shooters buy as they consume. This has led to
shortages, for some, with certain caps--and for modern ordinance shortages across the board in
ammo and reloading. To each his own. I began participating in primitive hunts in 1973 and helped
formulate the protocols that would become a muzzleloading season here in Florida. I am just a
plain shooter who rarely participates in forums or sport politics. With weaponry of all kinds under
scutiny, it makes sense that you should put aside the required supplies for your sport. Not everyone
feels the need to keep extra on hand. I believe that percussion caps and the powder of your choice
should be kept well stocked.
Reselling is regulated but going together with someone to purchase powder is not.Shoot a flinter and caps are not a problem.

cvco, Your post is interesting. If the situation develops to the point where 2A is severely hampered there will be nothing. As too the shortages yes some folks are hoarding, but I firmly believe that the manufacture's of such things are depleting stock and not producing, in anticipation of exactly what you mentioned, as to not be stuck with a bunch of shooting items that would ultimately have to be destroyed. The price gouging issues are there for instance, I re-load most of my un-mentionable ammo, decided to look for things to load shot gun shells, I like the red dot powder but could not find it anywhere, done some re-search and finally found loading data for green dot, bought the last pound at my local gun store, 25.00 dollars. My friend called yesterday and ask if I was still looking for green dot, told him I found a pound he said he was looking at a pound and the dealer wanted 70.00 dollars. NO thanks. THEY WIll NOT STOP WITH SO CALLED MODERN ARMS and the things needed to shoot them.

Way back in the before time (before the china virus), every time I would visit a sporting goods store, I would buy several tins of caps. Same thing with powder, I would buy several pounds of FFFg. Some to share with a friend or two and some just for reserve. Been doing this for years. It helps pull me through the hard times, like now.

I was only referring to some of the posts about hoarders who dont shoot buying to resell or to hold onto if supplies become scarce I have no problem with a shooter being well stocked.

I shoot like 50 rounds a month if that, I'm probably good for 20 years to be honest .

My days of even having time to go shoot "unmentionables " all day at 500 to 1000 rounds in an afternoon are long over.

Like was said, put back as much as you can afford to and enjoy when you can.

I'd rather keep shooting my military style muskets and rifles, I'll just bring less rounds. Making paper cartridges is labor intensive so it kinda self regulates

You guys think we have it bad, just checking some ammo prices for fun and can't believe what the lowly rimfire is going for. I had to laugh at the thought of some poor soul paying 30-40 cents a pop, if you can get it. Better take your guns out of the safes and put your ammo in, it could be worth more than the guns 😅.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back