• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep for Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been happy with the bulk of the Lyman 57 peep. Very accurate adjustments, but big and clunky. Destroys the lines of the gun and often gets in the way.

I found an alternative that I like a whole lot better. Wish I had got around to trying it a long, long time ago.

The TC Hunting Style Tang Mount Peep Sight (No.7194) is a perfect fit! It mounts using the rifle's rear tang screw (wood screw) and a machine screw provided with the sight screwing into the auxilliary threaded hole in the middle of the tang. It's about a 2-minute install job.

It's lean and trim, and for my uses works better because it sits back closer to your eye.

I never thought I'd find an alternative to the Lyman sight that works so well. And all this time it was sitting in my junk drawer. Sheeesh!!!!

BrownBear said:
And all this time it was sitting in my junk drawer. Sheeesh!!!!

Don't you hate when that happens?

:haha:

I have the same problem. I forget I have things stashed away that prove useful down the road.

Glad you found a good peep for the GPR.

:thumbsup:

HD

I've got a browned steel blade on one and a silver blade on the other. The silver is going to get lost just as soon as I get a replacement steel blade. The silver is fine in low light or overcast, but for my eyes it's stinker on sunny days.

I've been looking at peep sight options for my GPR and I might have to look into the TC. Since I'm a lefty I have a question maybe someone can answer. Will the 57GPR sight mount on a left-handed GPR or does the sight hardware interfere with the hammer? I've only seen GPR sights mounted on RH guns and not LH.
Thanks.

I'm a lefty too, Braska. I've been using righty GPRs specifically because I'm pretty well sentenced to using peeps by aging eyes. When I've held up the 57 on a lefty, it looked like the hammer would clear the sight "technically", but practically it will sure get in the way of your thumb when drawing back the hammer. It's not a problem on my righties, though.

I think part of my happiness with the TC sight is that it's so small and centrally located with nothing hanging off the left side of the gun at all like the 57. It won't interfere with my thumb when cocking the hammer. I've been holding off picking up a lefty GPR flinter, but the way is clear now. I wasn't willing to use a righty flinter due to a bad experience with flint chards flying back into my face shooting a right handed flinter once lefty.

I just got a Lyman 57 for my GPR and admit it looks clunky, but it does seem that it will help with sighting in. May have to try the TC version on another rifle. With the #57 sight installed, do you remove the rear buckhorn. Seems to me when looking through the peep, the stock rear is visible but doesnt get in the way.

Most folks remove the rear buckhorn sight when using a peep sight. Take the aperature out of the cross bar to create a larger( 1/4") hole, creating a " ghost ring " sight, and then see if the buckhorn sight is not a distraction.

Yeah.

Just use a brass punch to push it from left to right (as seen when looking down the barrel while shooting). You can find or make a filler wedge to go into the dovetail slot in the barrel after you remove the sight, but I never bother.

That 57 is a dandy sight, but I just wish it wasn't so bulky. It's fine for a righty shooter hanging out there on the left side of the tang, but golly, it sure gets in the way of things for lefties. I've been using Lyman peeps (along with Redfield and Williams and several others) on my lever rifles for almost 50 years now, and can't say enough good about the mechanics. But you won't realize how bulky they really are till you hold the TC tang peep alongside.

BrownBear said:
The silver is fine in low light or overcast, but for my eyes it's stinker on sunny days.

Have you tried temporarily blacking it? My .50 has a brass blade, and I'll smoke it or magic-marker it when I need a dark sight and wipe it clean when I need a bright one.

Joel

Thanks Joel. That's what I do, too. Nothing PC about my possibles bag, cuzz a black magic marker lives in it. I've spent so many years blackening sights on target rifles and handguns, maybe I'm just conditioned against a light colored sight, too. But I long ago learned that bright light shining in from one side or the other onto a shiny front sight will move your POI all over the place.

I found a flat-black enamel paint to use on my front sight. If I bump the sight against something solid, or let solvents to sit on the paint for any length of time, it will chip or rub off. However, it is easily touched up.

I have considered filing an Undercut on the rear of the front sight blade, so I don't have a glint, no matter what the sun is doing. :hmm:

I've made the undercut on all four of my rifles with bright front sites, and it works dandy for overhead light. But sadly, most of my hunting is early and late when light is coming in low and from the side. Get a reflection with light coming in from the left for example, and it can push my group right as much as 6" at 50 yards.

I'm not sure the front sights are really "silver" per se, but I've always intended to find out what will tarnish it and turn it black without all the smoking, penning or painting folderoll. I've only tried brass blackening, and that was fine for brass sights, but didn't affect the silver ones.

Long term solution is remembering to get iron replacements next time I'm putting together a TOW order. Then have a little ceremony at the beach in front of my house and throw the bright sights far, far out into the ocean.

The " silver " blades are usually " german Silver", made of nickel, zinc, and copper. You have to find something that will tarnish nickel. I have tried bluing compounds on heated metal, and had some effect. Anything to knock off the shine should help.

I have not tried browning compounds, but just might sacrifice a nickel to see what happens. Heat the metal up with a torch before slapping on the acid. You get much greater effect, and faster, too, than putting it on cold.

LMF certainly doesn't work, as I used it to brown the bases with no affect on the blade. Not sure about BC Plum Brown, but it's academic anyway.

When using my black, blue or brown sights, I find it a lot easier just to keep a little jug of white-out in my bag for very early or late shooting. Kinda nice in deep timber, too. The stuff goes on easy, dries instantly, and chips off at a touch later in the day. As long as I'm going to be non-PC about all this, including peep sights, I like the versatility of changing front sight colors early and late, but with less fuss.

I removed the black enamel paint one late afternoon with my pocket knife, when the skies grew overcast, and I needed a shiny front sight to see against the dark brown color of the deer I was hunting. It was easily replaced that evening when I cleaned the rifle, for the next day's hunt. ( I didn't get a shot.)

anybody got a Pic of this sight on there gun cause i would love to see it. I just order 2 for my guns out of (midway) for $59.99 each :thumbsup:

Back