• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli SxS 12 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys...I just purchased a Pedersoli SxS 12 gauge shotgun. I bought it used. The guy took EXCELLENT care of the gun. He said he shot it well over 500 times. The bluing is still 99-98%. EXCELLENT condition!!

This version has choke tubes. Browning Invector chokes to be more specific. I bought 2 TruGlo .665 turkey chokes for the gun. I want to turkey hunt with this gun this season. I am going to pattern it next week. The former owner suggested I start with 80 gr ffg black powder and 1 1/2 oz of shot.

Any other suggested loads? He didn't use a plastic shot cup...but said that if I used one, it would/could help accuracy.

Any other tips/tricks that you all could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Shoot straight!

After you clean & oil it store it muzzle-down on a paper towel! This way oil won't drain into the breech & nipples and cause you grief!

Put the load in after removing the choke (but pour the powder in first, so it goes all of the way down and not into the choke's threads). Then reinstall the choke. Use at least (2) OS cards on each side so as to prevent the load moving forward under recoil from the first tube firing.

Others will no doubt have comments to help you.

Good luck!

Dave

long ago and far away, I purchased an Indian made SS double which proported to be 12 guage (but was actually about a 14 guage), and since it started making suspicious puffs of smoke from under one of the barrels, it's now a wall hanger. neat looking piece, even if it's unsafe to shoot.

but i digress...

i did on occasion use shot cups (just crammed a 12 guage down there- a very snug fit, but do- able). ... big mistake ... had the Devil's own time getting the burnt plastic funk out of the barrels ... now i'm not saying that this will happen to you, but i am urging you to go into it with 'eyes open,' and only fire a few shots through one barrel. so if it does begin to get nasty, you're able to stop before it becomes overwhelmingly gnarly.

best of luck with your new scattergun ... wish mine still worked!

I have the same shotgun. Forget the plastic shot cups. They have a tendency to not open up and make a big hole in the target. That is what happened 2 out of 5 shots, when I tried them. The best load I have with my gun is 80 gr. of 2F, two over power cards, 1 &1/4 oz. of #6 shot, and 1 over powder card on top of the shot. I have no luck with cushion wads at all. They just blow the pattern. I load everything with the choke tubs in. I have yet to store a rifle or shotgun with the barrel down. Just don't use a lot of oil when I clean the barrel. But each to their own preference. Before loading I always run a dry patch thru the barrels and then pop a cap on the empty barrel. Leon

Turkeyman said:
The former owner suggested I start with 80 gr ffg black powder and 1 1/2 oz of shot.

1 1/2 ounces is a lot of shot for 80 grains of powder. Your velocity would likely be well under 1000 fps (probably less than 900 fsp). You are also above the recommended maximum amount of shot for that gun.

Personally, I am shooting 1 1/4 ounce of shot and 90 grams of "reenactor" powder for turkeys this year.

I think that you would have a problem getting a 12 gauge plastic shot cup past your turkey chokes. With that tight a choke I do not think that you will really need the plastic shot cup anyway.

You may also have a tough time getting the nitro cards past those chokes. If you can not get the nitro cards past the chokes easily, try using 4 to 6 over shot wads between the powder and the shot. I have had real good luck with over shot cards in tight chokes. If that does not work try felt wads. They are easy to get past the choke constriction.

I would generally agree with Moose's advice.

1. Felt wads are easy to get past those chokes. Plastic wads are very difficult to get past the chokes, and past the lip where the chokes seat even with the chokes out. For turkey hunting I'd would test out the Pillow ticking shot cups on the long thread of that name.

2. The gun is proofed for 1.25 ounce loads. That said a lot of turkey hunters like pretty heavy loads, and discuss them on this forum (I stick to 1.25 ounce loads, but I'm not a turkey hunter). I would not use FFF with heavy loads though. I find that FF works well for me in both 12 and 20 gauge Pedersolis.

3. Concerning the velocity issue, it is essential to do patterning and penetration testing at the ranges you will use in actual hunting. Increased muzzle velocity tends to be overrated, especially in muzzle loading shot loads. It tends open patterns (or even blow patterns) more, and unrifled shot loses velocity so quickly at high velocities that the effective difference in penetration at, say, 30 yards is not very great.

i also got the same gun, and got a lot of good advice from leon, when i first got it. im basiclly doing the same load but with a felt wad and 2 op cards im also using #5 copper plated shot with jiffy muffin mix. using the muffin mix seems to cuts down on the fliers.

Here is the straight skinny from Pedersoli.

12galoadingdata.jpg

12galoadingbook.jpg

I have the 12 ga SxS and am crazy about it. It is a real nice shotgun but I am already partial to doubles.
For my pheasant load I used 90 grs of Pyrodex RS and 1 ½ oz of 6s. I used a fiber OP wad and two OS card wads. My gun has chrome barrels so I doubt rust is a biggie. Proper, normal care should be all that is necessary. I don't store mine upside down either, not necessary.
I don't like the plastic shot cups because they need a clean bore or they foul badly. When you are hunting you will not shoot enough to really worry but when you are working up loads you will need some patch lube on the fiber wad. It may lead foul but Hoppe's Lead solvent removes it fine.
Remember it ain't no Remington Wingmaster and you will be fine. Adjustments need to be made accordingly.

You need a 12 ga jag!

:bow: Thanks guys!! I appreciate the information. I will go out this week sometime and try to work up a load this one likes to eat. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Latest posts

Back