• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Shotgun Film

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! :grin:

I know the Pedersoli side by side percussion cap muzzle loading shotguns are a hit with the bushman and hunters. Hickok45 of YouTube fame has produced a neat film on them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyF9re0JT0E

Looks a beaut for sure. Just though you fellow front stuffers might care to strike a gander.

Have a safe and happy new year!

Smokey

Last edited by a moderator:
Smokey Plainsman said:
Hey all! :grin:

I know the Pedersoli side by side percussion cap muzzle loading shotguns are a hit with the bushman and hunters. Hickok45 of YouTube fame has produced a neat film on them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyF9re0JT0E

Looks a beaut for sure. Just though you fellow front stuffers might care to strike a gander.

Have a safe and happy new year!

Smokey
Just watched the film personally not impressed quite a few safety mistakes .
Feltwad

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the guns are fine but I really like the old originals the best!

Smokey Plainsman said:
Thanks gang, didn't know you all didn't like Hickok45 or the Pedersoli shotguns.
I don't mind him at all.

I have owned a few Pedersoli doubles but they all went.
Too heavy and too straight in the stock.
I just bought a 1972 made one and it is under 6lb and has enough drop on the stock for me, just about.

Back when $$ was not so scarce I had a 10GA dbl pedersoli with chrome lined barrels and choke tubes. I LOVED it but I am anal about accuracy and the barrels shot about 8-10" apart at 30 yards. I SOLD IT :( Now I have landed here with you other addicts and see I coulda filed it into zero. We need a kick in pants emoji :shake:

If I get back where I was one day I will be looking for that same shotgun in 20ga

Those older Pedersoli's handle much better than the new ones. They certainly are stocked high, which is really good for me. However more drop can easily be had with a rasp and some sandpaper. You can also make the comb finer (in the English style) and get cast off/on at the same time.

Enjoy!

GreenMt said:
Those older Pedersoli's handle much better than the new ones. They certainly are stocked high, which is really good for me. However more drop can easily be had with a rasp and some sandpaper. You can also make the comb finer (in the English style) and get cast off/on at the same time.

Enjoy!
Sure, done it, still to heavy though :thumbsup:

Britsmoothy said:
Hey, skychiefs load made it to hickcock45 :hatsoff:

Thanks for sharing.

B :hatsoff:

I saw that too Nate! :haha:

No mention of the load's name, but, no doubt Ol' Hickok45 has spent time here with us. :thumbsup:

Hey Hickok, if you're this, you failed to mention the key ingredient to tight patterns using a cushion wad on top of the shot......Lube, lube, lube....as sloppy and as heavy as you can make them!!! And, use full one. :slap:

Maybe your "Pedersoli double-barrel video number 2" will include this. Would be great to see some pattern testing from your platform too. :idunno: The Skychief Special load versus all comers. I can see it now!

Best regards all, Skychief

Sychief,what is your "magic load"?I am looking for a load to start with.I just bought a older Pedersoli 12 ga.No screw in chokes,dont think there is much choke in either barrel.Do you use even shot and powder.I hope I can use the cushion wad Hickok 45 was cutting in half and using.I have about 300 of them thrown in on the gun deal.Thanks for any simple advise you can give me,BP shotguns are new to me.

I think what most people missed in the film was the safety aspect which became evident from the start and different times of the film . To me it was very amateur and for someone just coming into muzzle loading shotgun shooting the film was the wrong way of teaching the sport.
Feltwad

I don't think he's trying to teach anyone about the sport. What I know he is doing is introducing our favorite guns to a huge audience. May spark interest in some that have no other exposure to them. I say kudos, and hope he will do more muzzleloading videos.

Sure beats the heck out of most of the other stuff available on YouTube, let alone main stream television.

Powder
Hard or nitro card
Shotload
Thin card
Full cushion wad SOAKED with lube. Olive oil is popular but I think most any will work. Just sure to saturate the cushion wad to make it as heavy as possible.

You might try cutting a cushion wad in half or less to use above your powder. No guarantees, but, you mentioned having a bunch.

The load seems to shine best in cylinder tubes.

More shot than powder (volume-wise), usually makes patterns denser.

Good luck. They are a lot of fun.

Best regards, Skychief

Was it the open box of powder?

Yeah, I cringed each time. Would have only taken one ember from the shotgun to render his table into a bomb.

To be fair he does address it later in the video, and don't recall any other safety mistakes. He also mentions to keep one's face away from the barrels when loading.

Speaking of safety, I noticed that right after firing he he cocks the hammers and takes off the old fired caps. I was taught to leave them ON, so when reloading there would be less of a chance of air flow and a possible spark when reloading.

I also noticed after capping the nipples, that he immediately lowered the hammers directly onto the new caps, instead of using the half-cock notch.

Try loading a leather wad without removing the spent cap. Embers aren't an issue if you swab between shots.. Now normally I would also blow down the barrel...but not on a double barrel and not with one barrel loaded... :nono:

I was taught to leave hammers on half cock so air pressure blowing through the barrels would blow some powder down the breech.

I have heard that leaving the hammer on the cap is not dangerous (I did NOT say that, I heard it). It seems a cap cannot easily go off from pressure and needs a "whack" to go off?

Back