• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky .50g Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukewellington

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If I were to buy a kentucky 50g shotgun, would I be able to fire solid lead balls from it, aswell as a shot charge?. Also, what caliber ball would it be?

I know, I ask alot of questions :yakyak: , I'm just really keen about muzzlelaoder now. And I like to know alot about Guns too :thumbsup:

Where do you find a Pedersoli 50 g shotgun?. do you measn a .50 cal Kentucky rifle?, if you want to shoot shot and ball you will likley want to get a least a.54 28gauge or .58 24 gauge these conversions are approximations, the larger bores offer more options for shot loads,any gun with rifleing is useless for shooting shot.

This is where I have to order from, as it's the largest selection of muzzleloaders in the UK.

http://killer.iweb.pl/Czarny%20proch/section%201%20blackpowder%20Weapons%20&%20Accessories.pdf

Item 11311

That's interesting. You don't find shotgun variants of the Pedersoli Rifles on their own website. I do wonder what they mean by ".50g". I'm assuming "g" is for gauge. Kinda like how people incorrectly call the .410 shotgun a ".410 gauge". So, I guess it's a smooth barrel .50 caliber. You can get it, but it's effectiveness as a shotgun won't be much better than a .410. You could probably shoot .490 balls out of it, but I'll let the smoothbore experts talk more about that.

Hmmm, well I guess if the pheasant is roosting, and not flying you could probably get away with a .50 shotgun loaded with #6 shot. I'd keep the range to within 30yds, though.

Quite a different selection than I have seen before from Pedorsoli, I would still lean toward a gun of at least a .58 smoothbore so bal and an ounve or so of shot could be used without a mile long shot string, might be time for you to set down with pencil and paper and make up a plus and minus list of the attributes of the smaller vs bigger bores.

I wonder if they mean you can get it with a .50 caliber smoothbore barrel? I've never heard of such on a Pedersoli rifle, but who knows? Duke, you need to email them and ask for clarification. :thumbsup:

Oops. I see Trench already covered that possibility. Sorry. :redface:

duke:
Yes, it does look like item 1131S looks like a .50 caliber smoothbore.
I'm guessing that Pedersoli offers smoothbores to get around some laws which prohibit rifled guns?

Anyway, this would use shot charges slightly larger than a .410 shotgun and smaller than a 28 guage.
It would add some real challenge to hitting a moving target.
Given the choice between a .45 caliber and .50 caliber smoothbore I would opt for the .50.

I think the Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle in Flintlock form has a pretty good reputation here on the forum but at 368 Pounds Sterling it ought to.

I note that #1175 is listed as India and at the risk of starting a heated discussion, IMO the guns that are made in India leave a bit to be desired.
Also, 1175 is a percussion gun so if I may, I might point out that # 1158F is a 12 guage made by Ardesa.

While Ardesa doesn't have a reputation for superb quality they have been making muzzleloaders for years and generally speaking they make a good sound product that is well worth considering.
At 265 Pounds Sterling the price isn't bad either.
Those who don't recognize the name Ardesa should only think to the CVA and Tradition sidelocks as these were almost all made by that Spanish company.

If I were you and I wanted a shotgun and was willing to accept a percussion gun this is the one I would go for.

Duke, it looks like the vendor in England offers maybe a combination muzzleloader. Look at item #1154C, Kodiak Combination .50/ 12ga. It looks to be a lot of money.
Take a look at Cabelas. They sell the Pedersoli shotgun in 10, 12 and 20 gauge. The shotgun is a double barrel. The prices range from $729-934.99 just for the shotgun. The prices range from $769-974.99 for a shotgun and a starter kit.
A 20 gauge is approx .60 cal. A 12 gauge is approx .72 cal.
For a modern shotgun, I think you'll find the 12 gauge is the most common.
I have a Pedersoli 12 gauge, double barrel, and am happy with it. My brother also has a 12 gauge muzzleloader. He shoots birdshot and ball out of it.
You mentioned pheasant hunting. Where we live, you can't shoot pheasants unless they are in the air and flying. "Roosting" as you put it would imply the birds might be sitting up on a tree branch. I can assure you they do.
I have taken a ton of pheasants. For me, the 12 gauge is perfect. My shotgun has screw in chokes and I can reach out pretty far with the shot pattern. Thirty to a little over forty yards is about the nomal range for taking the pheasants.
You need the energy and more shot to take the pheasant, a 12 gauge will deliver that. Otherwise you risk wounding the bird and losing it by using something smaller.
For target shooting you might consider a rifle, and that is a whole other animal.
Do take a look at Cabelas sporting goods. It will show you photos of the various muzzleloaders they offer. And in passing, the prices you pay over there seem to be pretty close to what we might pay here if I did my math correct. :thumbsup:

I forgot to add, my brother's shotgun is an old CVA double barrel, 12 gauge. It isn't pretty, but it shoots like the dickens.
Like Zonie said, look at the Ardesa also. :thumbsup:

Maybe I can shed a little light on this.

In Britain he won’t be allowed to shoot a ball in the field from a muzzleloader.

In GB legislation (not shooting speak!) “Shotgun” means a smooth-bored gun with more than nine pellets up the spout.
“Firearm” covers the rest (all rifled arms, pistols, powerful airguns etc. and smoothbores with less than nine pellets up the spout).
The only dispensation is that smoothbore muzzleloaders which are held on a shotgun certificate can be fired with a ball on a range approved for that class of weapon (i.e. muzzleloader).
Shotgun certificates are far easier to obtain than firearm certificates ”“ particularly if you want to shoot in the field.

So ........smoothbores are quite handy for us ”“ they are versatile ”“ can be used with shot in the field and ball on a range and are easier to access in the certificate department.

So........some muzzleloaders are supplied by retailers in “non standard” formats ”“ basically smoothbore for the British market.

For me I’d use 20 bore or bigger ”“ the Pedersoli Mortimer(s) in 12 bore work ok
(Their doubles work but are choked so I don’t like using ball in them).

Hang on a minute.........Roosting pheasants...................bounder :blah:

So I'm after a smoothbore kentucky rifle LOL :grin:

I'm wan't fo fire lead ball on approved ranges aswell. Looking for around 410-20g pattern. Any Ardesa smoothbores out there?

Do you need to use a bullet starter with a muzzleloader, or can you just use the ramrod for the whole thing?

Thanks

dukewellington,

Even if this is a smoothbore weapon go ahead and use a short starter. I've heard too many stories about poeple breaking their ramrod doing that and having the splintered end jabbed clear through their hand pard. Just my 2 cents here I never shot a smooth bore Muzzle loader. And I'd rather err on the side of caution if I were shooting it.

Jay

Wow, you really need to jump through some hoops to shoot in the UK. I knew that the rules were tough, but WOW. Can you get a certificate to fire single balls for hunting...or has hunting pretty much ceased to exist as well?

Duke, use a good short starter for the firearm. Consider getting a good ramrod for general purpose stuff like loading. Look at the ones made from delrin, they are unbreakable.
Like Ranger said, you'll want to avoid a broken wooden ramrod through the hand. I've seen it and it isn't a pretty sight.

Muzzleloaders come with ramrods, don't they?

So, to get started with a preccusion, I will ned
Gun
Powder
Caps
Powder messure
Balls
Lubed patches
Bullet starter.

Hopefully I will have it this time next week. I will post a few pictures too.

Back