• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli classic and steel shot ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpete

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the pedersoli classic sxs 12g is proofed for steel shot,or use steel shot in their own ? Looking at buying one and it would be advantageous for duck shooting if it were

There us no proof for steel shot in a muzzleloader Pete.
If you mean can steel shot be used in a muzzleloader well sure it can, normal restrictions considered.
There is a myth that Pedersoli chrome plate their barrels in order to facilitate the use of steel shot. Its not! Its to facilitate corrosion resistance period!

Yes, you can shoot steel shot with steel shot plastic style shotcups made for steel shot. I would not recommend it though. Best to shoot bismuth shot which does not need any shotcups. If you shoot steel keep it under 25 yards or you will notice alot of crippling. BP shoots at lower vellocity which is fine for bismuth tin shot but not so good for steel. I speak from experience. How much waterfowling are you going to do? That is my primary game and then small game after that and I shoot nothing but non toxic Bismuth tin shot which I make myself. Just saw Brits post and he is right. Pedersoli chrome lines the bores just for corrosion purposes only and it does aid somewhat in cleaning.

Yes, you can shoot steel shot with steel shot plastic style shotcups made for steel shot. I would not recommend it though. Best to shoot bismuth shot which does not need any shotcups. If you shoot steel keep it under 25 yards or you will notice alot of crippling. BP shoots at lower vellocity which is fine for bismuth tin shot but not so good for steel. I speak from experience. How much waterfowling are you going to do? That is my primary game and then small game after that and I shoot nothing but non toxic Bismuth tin shot which I make myself. Just saw Brits post and he is right. Pedersoli chrome lines the bores just for corrosion purposes only and it does aid somewhat in cleaning.
I'd need to take out a second mortgage to shoot bismuth so that's not an option.

There us no proof for steel shot in a muzzleloader Pete.
If you mean can steel shot be used in a muzzleloader well sure it can, normal restrictions considered.
There is a myth that Pedersoli chrome plate their barrels in order to facilitate the use of steel shot. Its not! Its to facilitate corrosion resistance period!
So.....steel shot cups then ?

Where are you located? How much shooting are you planning on doing first of all? I make my own which is over 50% cost savings versus buying already made shot. However if you are just hunting only few times a year a ten pound bag would last you a long time. Steel will work but I would seriously use Steel shot cups and again limit my shots to 25-30 yards max with large shot. What type of game are you chasing? Just trying to help you sir.

3.2kg of bismuth shot ( the raw product costs the same here ) is $291.
7kg of steel shot is $50.
10kg of lead shot is $60 ( may be a bit more depending who you buy off )
A shot maker is around 400 over here.

So its pretty obvious which is more affordable.

I've already researched the heck out of bismuth as I'd like to use my antique Grundmann for duck hunting, but I ain't made of money,and I'd like to semi retire her ( hence why I'm looking at the pedersoli )

Pete.
I have not shot steel extensively and only got a couple of duck.
What I did was this.

After loading the powder I thumbed a few OS cards into the muzzle.
I then had some predetermined size thin card, probably from a cereal packet, pre rolled in the hand to soften it up some.
I rolled it up so there was two layers in the muzzle. Using the rolled card pushed the wad down and wrap just below the muzzle.
I then tipped the steel in there.
Added an OS card and pushed the lot home.
Twice I did that in my .63 cylinder pedersoli trade gun and got a duck.
No scratches or scouring. #5 shot

On a side note, a retrieved wrap did show perforations but not much.
I think a homemade lube would help.

My opinion, would it really be so bad if it did scratch the bore !?
I was once talking to a wildfowler that made his own 10g nitro ammo and homemade steel proof wads using a nylar wrap. He was saying how his gun now has a faint line here and there from the steel shot.
He said he was not to concerned. He'll be long gone before it's an issue!
Have a play, 20g cut hulls fit in 12g Pedersoli barrels just nice 👍

Historian is spot on and I have never been able to get a steel to pattern well even with BPI special wads. You have to weigh the cost of bismuth or crippling . I have the same gun..

I personally use bismuth shot in my double barrel navy arms as it is safe for a normal steel barrel. I order from rotometals.com. It’s a bit pricey but it’s easier on the barrel and much heavier than steel.

I have not purchased plastic wad to use in a muzzleloader, I just pick them up in the field and range. Cut the base off the used wad and use the cup. My duck hunts usually entail around a dozen shots up to 20 on a good day. Since I scrounged the wads, there's no telling if two are the same. Doesn't seem to matter much in my patterning. I tried a random handful at 30-yards. The amount of steel pellets was enough to fill the cup level, no dome shape or overage. So that may have varied slightly too. The ducks didn't know the difference.

Bigpete, I am going to PM you sir. I am More than willing to help you out with some bismuth 4's. Sounds like you are over in the EU. Check your PMs.

Thank you but no thank you. Likely the postage to Australia would be more than what its worth

Ok, hope you can find something to make it work. What is really weird is pretty much all of the current bismuth production is in China which is right in your backyard. I would think it would be pretty cheap in Australia as compared to the USA. All of my raw bismuth has Chinese foundry stamps. Tin is also heavily mined in Malaysia or Indonesia. Why is it so expensive in Australia? Good luck Bigpete.

Does anyone know if the pedersoli classic sxs 12g is proofed for steel shot,or use steel shot in their own ? Looking at buying one and it would be advantageous for duck shooting if it were
I have a 10 gauge Pieta double barrel, no choke…killed lots of geese with steel T shot. Pedersoli’s are a higher quality gun, you should be fine. I don’t know that I’d shoot steel shot through a choked muzzleloader.

Back