• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Holder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you-all keep/store your prelubed patches handy for shooting? I like a few stored in my shooting bag, and was thinking of making a formed leather case (veg-tanned leather formed on a block, hand stitched and permeated with beeswax). But before I go to the trouble, I thought I might get some ideas on what works best from others here.

I am not a strictly 'traditional' shooter, but I do want to get closer to that end of the spectrum. I shoot a .54 cal TC Renegade, mostly at the range.

Thanx,
Dan C

Swampy said:
Just a simple tin.

That ... might just work! :hmm:

Thx!

Any others? Keeping an open mind (which will be a shock most who know me ... :shocked2: ).

Dan C

I mostly use a cap tin. I like to stretch out the lip around the lid just a tad, as it can be a pain to open once grease gets on the outside. I also like to fold over about a quarter of the patch, before laying another on top of it. If you do this with every patch, it's easier to grab the next patch, as the folded portion pops up enough to grab with your fingers. Kinda like tissues in a box, the one before pulls out the next one.

I go to the range with two or three cap tins loaded with patches. Hope this helps. Bill

snowdragon said:
... I also like to fold over about a quarter of the patch, before laying another on top of it. If you do this with every patch, it's easier to grab the next patch, as the folded portion pops up enough to grab with your fingers. Kinda like tissues in a box, the one before pulls out the next one. ... Bill

Good tip! :hatsoff:

Thx!
Dan C

For storage: baby food jars. For carrying on trail walks I use the shoe polish tins with the little lever on the side to help opening. :hmm:

If you have a "Cracker Barrel" resturant around, go eat there and when you go to pay,look by the cash register.There are these little mints in neat little tins that make great patch tins.

BTW the mints are good too.

Wrapped around a ball in a shooting block.

HPIM1010-1.gif

ohio ramrod said:
For storage: baby food jars.

Yesser, small jars are definately better for storage.

Problem Child said:
... BTW the mints are good too.

Now THAT'S a TIP! :bow:
Love hearing from those with experience ...

Thanx,
Dan C

Stumpkiller said:
Wrapped around a ball in a shooting block.
I thought about doing that, but was leanin' more to keeping it in my shooting bag. It's a double bag with a short beavertail flap, so it lends itself well to this method of carry. But, like I said- keepin' an open mind ...

Do you hang it from your shoulder strap, or around your neck? Inside the shirt when busting brush? :hmm:

BTW, that is a nice lookin' shoot'n blok! :hatsoff:

Thx,
Dan C

I like the Altoids "Smalls" tins. They are just the right size for a stack of patches and a couple extra balls or a gob of lube. The wintergreen mints are my favorite flavor. :wink:

The tins have "Smalls" stamped in them in raised letters which looks cheesy so what I do is use a small ball-peen hammer to planish them mostly out. Open the tin and put the lid top-down on a nice smooth surface and carefully lightly tap the inside with the hammer lots of times. That will smooth out the stamped letters most of the way. It will also "dome" the lid a bit as it stretches the metal some. Sandpaper, a wire wheel, or a Scothbrite pad will remove the rest of the lettering. Then burn the remaining paint off and you have a pretty nice looking patch tin. :thumbsup:

Besides just using the hammer try a small amount of sand placed down in between the lid and the hard surface while you are hammering out the lid. It leaves a really nice custom look to the lid. You can easily buff it out a bit if you like which adds an antique style finish.

I burn the paint off Altoids or similar tins and they work perfect. Have two of them in my shooting bag, the smaller one for patches the other one holds extra attachments like jags, nipples, etc. You can buy brass or copper containers too, but they don't have have any mints inside.

Mike Brines said:
...cut my patches at the muzzle. Strip if patching material tied to my bag. :thumbsup:
That is how I do it now. But I'm trying to get away from useing the "authentic" plastic tube of bullet lube in my bag (it's from TC, it 'IS' authentic, right?) with this method.

What do you use to lube the patch, and how do you carry it?

Dan C

lakota said:
Need to get me some Altoids! :grin:
Yeah, I think I might need to go shoppin'.

Thanx to everyone for the Altoids advice!

Dan C

Well, think I just scored. Brought the old "iron horse" off winter pasture and went shoppin'. Was goin' to look for Altoids, but went by Suttlers Market (local health food store) and they had these little tins already made. No markings or paint- just plain tins with upset ring under cap, rolled edge on cap lip, and slip fit so easy to remove if it gets greasy. I bought the 2 smaller sizes: 1 3/8" dia X 1" deep is about right for patches. 1 7/8" dia X 1 3/8 deep will work for cleaning patches. Alredy have patches soaked in smaller tin!

One tip tho ... is not a great idea to get in a hurry and sneak it in oven with wife's lasagnia to melt the lube. Women just have no apreciation for initiative ... :idunno:

Dan (Hangdawg) C

Some in my loading block and for others I hollowed out a cavity on the side of the butt stock and covered with brass...I then put a hinged lid on and rolled up a strip of greased patching material and store it in there...Thinking about calling it a "patch box"...

Back