• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch box lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for information/pictures pertaining to building and installing a patchbox lock. The patchbox is brass. I have a kit that looks really simple with a rod, 2 pieces of spring steel and screw. The instructions are sketchy.

Regards
Wounded Knee

Beg, borrow, or buy a copy of "The Art Of Building The Pennsylvania Longrifle". In Chapter 20, "Patchbox Release Mechanisms", is a very clear drawing of how your type of system should be set up. If I can persuade my wife to help me out, I'll try to scan the diagram and attach it to a post. It's very simple once you see it, but trying to explain it without pictures would be a bear.

I have the book Mongrel recommends. He is correct in that it has that as well as lots of other good info.

Loyd,
Don’t know what style of rifle you are building but here are some pictures of some originals.

rel_11.jpg

rel_21.jpg

rel_31.jpg

rel_41.jpg

rel_52.jpg

Chris Laubach

Loyd -- I scanned the page from "The Art Of Building The Pennsylvania Longrifle" that details the setup of the type of patchbox release you describe. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to link it to a post. I can attach it to an e-mail and fire it off to you, or mail it if that works better -- assuming you haven't found out what you need to know in the meantime. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I usually use the release like the one Chris showed in the first pic. It allows you to tune it to work well. If this is your first rifle, I'd pick something you can do and worry about being period correct or fancy later. :hatsoff:

Back