• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch blowby

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did notice a sharp edge at the muzzle,so I looked on the forum for a solution,to that(found it) took some sand paper 320 grit and with my thumb went round and round the lip,saw some polishing there ,so I quit,did feel and look better afterwards

On another note from the target you see.to the left you can more shots,I'm cheap just turned the target,shot with wonderlube patches(18 thou) 65 grain,then 70 gr and they printed about the same ,not good ,but same are.
So I zipped off 1\16 off the front site,from my calcs, should raise the shots 5 inches at 25 yards.
So when I went back and just using spit patches ,grouped in the same spot!!! was a surprise,did not have time to try lubed patches to confirm.
For me using lube is what I hunt with,so would like to stay the same.even in competition...as spit can freeze in the bore,up here in Canuckistan.
So thoughts on non freezing lube?I did use this Wonder lube as a trial (had it lying about).
Normally I use 50\50 beeswax and lard,doesn't freeze
Not sure if this is a different thread,? Claude?
Thoughts?
Thanx gents ,I really do appreciate the knowledge around here and the generosity of sharing

ohio ramrod said:
Have you tried an over powder wad?. I find a leather wad between the powder and patched round ball can work wonders to prevent blow by and burned patches. :idunno:
Same's true with using straight leather patches. Went to that several years ago in an attempt to be "cool". As it turns out, they work great. Don't do the amount of shooting I used to due to my late wife's failing health and now I fin I'm getting my Mom's arthritis pretty bad in my right hand...it's that little black could, I tell you!

what weight of leather,Hmmm I wanna be cool just once...heh I hear ya...had to go with those little peeps you stick on yor glasses,so's I could see the back,front and target all on one plane.just for sighting in ,as the gunne comes up so good,for off hand all I need to do is see the target ...gotta stay young,so's I can get old...

how do ya tip a ball? weeeel somethin moved - the patches were almost too small - get everything lined up neat and dont blink or wriggle with the short starter and it was fine - but the slightest little wrong move and the ball would lose contact with the patch just on one part as you rammed it down = a flyer - this rifle was shooting pretty good at the time - I cut a patch on the muzzle and pulled it to check the size - ginormous compared to what I was using - and I have not seen a 54 cal precut commercial patch that comes anywhere close to a muzzle cut one in diameter - it was an easy fix - but simple easy stuff stops us a lot of times .

Latest posts

Back