• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paradox bullet for big game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'm going to hunt Cape Buffalo with my flintlock. It's a .58 caliber, full stock, with a 1/48 twist Getz barrel. Since I'm not completely nuts, I'd l9ike to be using a paradox style bullet if possible. I think a round ball would be a bit risky for penetration of the tough rib cage on the Dugga boys.

Anyone have source for such bullet in .577?

Yep, he's crazed. Them British fellahs generally used a 4 bore on big ugly mean cows. I got a buddy if you want a line on them. :nono:

Well, it seemed like a grand idea after taking the wildebeeste, kudu, waterbuck and the impala with a patched round ball. Aside from the first klatch on the impala, everything worked very well. 2 of the heads will be SCI trophies. I consider them all to be trophies of a lifetime, How often do you folks hear of someone hunting African plains game with a traditional flintlock? :results:

The professional hunter did mention that he questioned my choice of firearm during the klatch with the impala.

After the waterbuck and wildebeeste were taken with a single shot each, he gained confidence, and after the kudu, he was quite supportive of hunting a buff with the flinter. I'm the one that wants the heavy bullet!

I'm unaware of any commercial molds for that caliber, Cap'n. Personally, I'd lean more towards a 12 bore or 8 bore double for M'bogo. Plenty of power and a quick follow up if the beastie don't realize he's dead after the first wallop. (I've shot an eight-bore with a 1,340 grain bullet over something like 250 grains of 2F, and I'd compare it to a 600 Nitro. :shocking:) Probably be easier to find a slug mold for those calibers as well. If you're dead-set on using your existing rifle, you could always contact Mountain Molds and have a custom mold turned out. :m2c:

I'd be more concerned about damaging the Getz barrel...When I made my first flintlock, about 20 years ago I was told to never shoot conicals in a barrel that was designed for round balls...They are made of a softer steel...The originals were made of iron...steel wasn't even invented until the early 1800s...I believe the TC Hawkens are made of the same steel that modern centerfires are made of....I have never shot anything but round balls out of my .54 Rayle and .40 Rayle barrels...Might give Getz a call and see if they recommend...
Also...with the deeper rifling of a Getz not sure the conicals will be accurate...
Good Luck...

PS...I'd be more inclined to use harder balls...might could harden with wheel weights, maybe even heat in oven...I know some guys that shoot cast bullets temper them before they shoot...Might not group as well because the ball doesn't "squat" when you pull the trigger...Just a thought...

I don't think a conical will hurt your barrel due to its construction. The reason many were told not to shot conicals was due to not having enough twist in the barrel to stabilize it.
An ideal situation would be to find someone with a very good mold for 58 minie, like an RCBS, and have minies cast fron a little harder alloy. We use 90-10 and it seems still to expand enough in the bore and also be hard enough to penetrate. your 1 turn in 48" will be accurate even if the base of the minie was made solid.
Visit Dixie Slugs forum (dixieslugs.com)........James

Back