• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 gauge said:
My Bess is 75cal, I dont think that cigarette papers would work well.

It would if you use the rolling paper from Cheech & Chong's Big Bamboo album... :haha:

bigbamboo.jpg

I get precut cartridge paper from Smiling Fox and tie them with either a hemp or linen thread cause it doesnt break too easy.Theyre about 4 bucks for a tablet of 100 with a neat colonial newspaper printed on them but the paper seems perfect and smolders very lttle.Ive tried other paper and it was either too stiff or ripped too easy .I like these.Never tried lubin them but i will have to swab after about 7 or ten shots.

I use this paper, too. It is good quality and looks p/c because in former times whole libraries were taken to make paper cartridges. I use these paper cartridges for reenactment (Rev.War) and hunting. But I don't load them directly. I bite them off and poor the bp downrange the muzzle.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Ed Street said:
I have used cigarette paper with 0 problems.

You guys that use computer paper must have some strong teeth! Avg. paper being about 24 lb. weight. When you roll a cartridge, it's at least double wall thick. :shocked2: :hmm:

WildatHeart said:
Ed Street said:
I have used cigarette paper with 0 problems.

You guys that use computer paper must have some strong teeth! Avg. paper being about 24 lb. weight. When you roll a cartridge, it's at least double wall thick. :shocked2: :hmm:

I have always used 20# paper, it is .0035 thick and tears easily!

Most important, is getting a tight fit.

Well I have been making them for 20+ years and
loved them..but dirty as H7ll. I was always using
tel book paper..Then it dawned on me that the very black coming out while cleaning was INK! I have since
switched to "news prine". Same paper but without
the ink...Cleaning now much better/easier. Fact!
Try using paper without ink and see the difference

10 gauge said:
So I guess that 80grs of powder is out of the question with cigarette paper. :(

If you are not sure it would all fit in one roll, make two rolls at 40 grains each and use two for each loading.

I think I will make a paper cartridge tube just like the one you posted. Then I will drop a round ball in it, next the powder and then fold over the paper like shown.

Dumb questions to all ... :surrender:

1) Is the paper CONSUMED at all by the firing process?

2) Is there any inherent risk of STARTING a FIRE by shooting these paper cartridges?

3) Does in fact the ball SEPARATE from the paper ...? Could not your accuracy be lessened if the ball stayed wrapped in the paper?

4) Would dipping the ball end in Crisco, as suggested, INCREASE the potential for the ball to stay with the paper?

Look no further than shotguns, we use wads, 1/2" thick fiber wads that can be reused, also the patched ball, can reuse those as well in many cases.

if the paper is 'nitrated' it will burn entirely. other paper I would assume if it's thin it should work just as well, not 100% sure on that but that's my suspicions. Worthy test at the range :)

I've fired a LOT of paper cartridge loads from my Brown Bess. I use recycled newsprint for the paper and dip the ball end in melted Crisco brand shortening. Just tear off the tail of the cartridge and dump the powder down the bore then reverse the cartridge and ram the paper wrapped ball down the bore... the paper wrapping acting as a patch. I've yet to find a burning or smoldering paper wrap down range. Usually what I find is a piece of paper somewhat resembling the cap on an acorn.

I've been making mine that way for years... it really does work well. Much easier than trying to twist and tie.

I make mine the French way. I sit at night in my truck and roll up bunches for a couple of groups to shoot. I make the cartridges then later use a shotgun reloader with a 1 oz bar in it and load the powder off the shot side. 1oz equals 70 grains of powder. For larger use a different charge bar. There is a scale on the site to tell you what will work. With the reloader and someone to help fold the tops you can roll a couple of hundred in a little bit. You get 100 from 1 pound of powder.
Ronnie

Last year I loaded well over 1000. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/195339/
Here is link to chart

Last edited by a moderator:
Back