• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Owners of original (not modern replicas) C&B revolvers, do you shoot them?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have watched episodes of Pawn Stars and they have always said that a shoot-able firearm is more valuable than one that is not.

Just curious about those who own them, if they are perfectly functional, do you shoot them?

I always felt that was just for show on pawn stars. Any competent gunsmith or even experienced shooter can tell if a gun is going to function without actually firing it. timing is good. bore and cylinder in good condition, nipples in good condition. its going to go bang. that being said if I personally had an original I would want to shoot it. If I had a store I probobly would not want to have to clean it again just to prove a point. let the buyer shoot it and clean it.

Just idiots showing off. I suspect they use very light loads in the guns they shoot. I would shoot an original if it was a common item, but I never would even check the function on , say, a colt paterson or an unfired mint 1860 army.

I have lots of guns to shoot so I don’t shoot it often but I have shot grandpa’s 1860 Army. It’s in very good, factory refinished condition and shoots well with 25 grains of Swiss 3f and a .454 ball. If it was the full fluted straight chambered version I’d oil it occasionally and keep it in the safe. Otherwise, in good condition? Why not enjoy it responsibly? Granddad might be disappointed if I didn’t…

Interesting so far. As you might be able to tell from my avatar, I like classic motorcycles. There is a saying among those of us that are collectors/owners, “ride ‘em don’t hide ‘em.” And among any type of vehicle in general the somewhat derogatory term is “trailer queen”. Just like we have our safe queens.

I know that metallurgy has grown by leaps and bounds since black powder days but as Bad Karma does, keep the load light and use them infrequently. Probably sage advice!

I looked at this one today at a local antique store. He usually lets me know when he gets a BP gun so I can check it out. If I buy it I'll shoot it! Lock is tight. Bore and cylinder look good. Id use a light load, but it would be used! Not sure on the price though.

Attachments

• 20240420_155112.jpg
    20240420_155112.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 0
I looked at this one today at a local antique store. He usually lets me know when he gets a BP gun so I can check it out. If I buy it I'll shoot it! Lock is tight. Bore and cylinder look good. Id use a light load, but it would be used! Not sure on the price though.
Comparable ones have gone here on MLF for pretty close to that price.

My only originals are a Colt 1855 Root and a Starr DA. I took apart a reproduction Root once and the fragile parts made an impression. I’m concerned about shooting the Root and breaking something. Not sure about the Starr but I think it would be fine. I just haven’t got around to it yet. Any advice out there?

I have an original 1861 Springfield musket that I shoot. Easier to take apart and fewer parts to clean. 😁

I regularly shoot my 1858 Tranter, 44 cal, 5 shot.
I bought it sight unseen except for the photos and one pic showed mint original nipples so I took a punt on it being in good mechanical condition, despite the exterior signs of neglect.
Turned out fine and I got the price down from $800 to $500.as the vendor described it as a rusty collector’s item; well I ain’t a rusty collector 😀
IMG_1137.jpeg

Sent the seller a pic of the first target that I shot but for some reason he didn’t respond.
Edit: the two clouds of smoke are two shots in quick succession [very modern double action].

Last edited:
Most people would probably say shoot them, as evidenced by the replies already posted. That is a personal preference. Mine is to never fire one of my originals, that is what they make fine reproductions for. I have been a Civil War collector for over 40 years. I have originals that would probably be fine shooters. I have a Model 1816 that was used as a flintlock in the Mexican War, converted to percussion in the early 1850's, and used as a percussion in the Civil War. Looking at how the breech was modified when it was converted it may not be safe to try to shoot today. About 20 years ago or so an elderly member of our club would bring out an original to shoot a bit each month. One afternoon I saw him break the hammer on a Hall carbine. It looked like it was perfectly sawed in half 90% across, with only a thin sliver holding it together. I thought to myself at the time that is the reason not to shoot originals. No matter how many may have been made of a particular model, I see them all as individuals and unique. Each may have its own small ding somewhere in the stock or grips through use, a soldier's initials carved into the stock, etc. Just yesterday I acquired my 5th original Enfield from the war. Although the others may well have been used by the South, this is the only one that shows definite proof of Confederate purchase. It has the name of the stock maker, known to supply stocks for Confederate Enfields, impressed in the stock. It has the Sinclair Hamilton marked stamped into the stock, a firm which supplied Enfields to the Confederacy. Although the dealer gave me a good deal on it, it was still almost twice the price of a good Enfield minus the Confedrate markings. To say Lucifer would have icicles hanging from his horns before I would shoot that one is an understatement. The originals are too valuable, too hard to replace, and have gone through too much. Just as a person retires when he is older, I let the originals remain in retirement and have shooting fun with the reproductions.

Most people would probably say shoot them, as evidenced by the replies already posted. That is a personal preference. Mine is to never fire one of my originals, that is what they make fine reproductions for. I have been a Civil War collector for over 40 years. I have originals that would probably be fine shooters. I have a Model 1816 that was used as a flintlock in the Mexican War, converted to percussion in the early 1850's, and used as a percussion in the Civil War. Looking at how the breech was modified when it was converted it may not be safe to try to shoot today. About 20 years ago or so an elderly member of our club would bring out an original to shoot a bit each month. One afternoon I saw him break the hammer on a Hall carbine. It looked like it was perfectly sawed in half 90% across, with only a thin sliver holding it together. I thought to myself at the time that is the reason not to shoot originals. No matter how many may have been made of a particular model, I see them all as individuals and unique. Each may have its own small ding somewhere in the stock or grips through use, a soldier's initials carved into the stock, etc. Just yesterday I acquired my 5th original Enfield from the war. Although the others may well have been used by the South, this is the only one that shows definite proof of Confederate purchase. It has the name of the stock maker, known to supply stocks for Confederate Enfields, impressed in the stock. It has the Sinclair Hamilton marked stamped into the stock, a firm which supplied Enfields to the Confederacy. Although the dealer gave me a good deal on it, it was still almost twice the price of a good Enfield minus the Confedrate markings. To say Lucifer would have icicles hanging from his horns before I would shoot that one is an understatement. The originals are too valuable, too hard to replace, and have gone through too much. Just as a person retires when he is older, I let the originals remain in retirement and have shooting fun with the reproductions.
Interesting stories and I can hardly debate your logic, however if they seem sound and functional I can also understand firing them.

I guess, the value of the particular firearm is what I would use to make a decision. It seems a shame, in a way, to not use them for their intended purpose.

I can see that if one is extremely rare that I wouldn’t want to chance it but that would depend, I guess, on what one considers extremely valuable. What would be a great loss to most would be insignificant to say, Elon Musk.

I've only owned one really nice original revolver an 1862 5 shot model. I had bought the gun at an auction and when I got it home, I really couldn't believe the condition this gun was in. I knew it was worth more than I had paid and considered selling it and did put it for sale here. After a few days I decided it would be better off in a museum so I donated it to a civil war museum. would it have fired? there was no doubt in my mind that it would have but I didn't.
139451-IMGP1134.jpg

I regularly shoot my 1858 Tranter, 44 cal, 5 shot.
I bought it sight unseen except for the photos and one pic showed mint original nipples so I took a punt on it being in good mechanical condition, despite the exterior signs of neglect.
Turned out fine and I got the price down from $800 to $500.as the vendor described it as a rusty collector’s item; well I ain’t a rusty collector 😀View attachment 314010
Sent the seller a pic of the first target that I shot but for some reason he didn’t respond.
Edit: the two clouds of smoke are two shots in quick succession [very modern double action].
Found the vendor’s photo on which I chanced the purchase, enlarge and the condition of the nipples can be clearly seen.
IMG_0011.jpeg

Back