• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Overthinking...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this type of muzzle wear is very common on former soviet union military surplus, such as mosin nagant 91/30s. its caused by improper use of cleaning rod,not using the provided guide. steel on steel. it also happened to a lesser extent on British Lee Enfields with improper use of the weighted pull thrus, especially when the cord gets dirty. can't see why it won't happen on our muzzleloader barrels, especially with their softer steels. my barrel guides are made from spent casings, 8mm x 56 (mannlicher?) that i picked up on the range. they fit perfectly in the .50 and the rim rests on the muzzle. i`ve only done this BP stuff for about a year, and my first guide is already showing signs of wear.

Never use a range rod, luckily I don't have to shoot at a range :) I prefer ole hickory for everything... A wooden rod when properly used should never give any issues, no worries about wear at the muzzle at all.

What can I say just out of the Marine Corps. Just back from Vietnam. I tore up a lot of things for several years. Whats the worst could happen somebody shave my head and send me to Vietnam. :)

Larry

If you use a bore guide on a range rod for cleaning and range work, and 'ol hickory for hunting you'll probably never live long enough to wear a bore/muzzle enough to tell a difference unless you shoot a couple hundred shots a day everyday from now on. I would never use an aluminum rod for any of it period.

mtmanjim said:
If you use a bore guide on a range rod for cleaning and range work, and 'ol hickory for hunting you'll probably never live long enough to wear a bore/muzzle enough to tell a difference unless you shoot a couple hundred shots a day everyday from now on. I would never use an aluminum rod for any of it period.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"should"
That is the operative word. The rod and barrel don't know that.
I believe we shoot a whole lot more than they did 'back in the day'. Muzzle wear is a genuine concern. I'll stay with my Delrin and stainless steel rods using bore guides for my range shooting. Hunting is Delrin and no bore guide. Ronny is (was) wood, no bore guide.

Muzzle wear isn't caused by the type of material your ramrod is made out of.....It is caused by using your ramrod incorrectly.
Trying to prevent it by changing ramrod materials only reinforces your bad habits.

I've never used a derlin rod, so I can't say anything about them one way or the other. I haven't broken a rod in use since the 1970s. I swab tween shots and can push a ball down without trouble. All my guns have 3/8 rods and tapered I clean and oil my rod often. Wipe it down with my cleaning patch before returning it to the pipes.

Back