• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over-powder wad - oversize or to bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been using oversized wads in everything. Better seal certainly, and much better protection for the base of the bullet. It’s not like they’re difficult to get started in the bore or anything (well ok, the 45 into a 40 barrel can be challenging) but a 54 wad slips easily into a 50 caliber bore so there’s really no downside to the oversized wad.

I made my own punches out of tool steel and hardened them and regularly use a .50 cal wad in a .50 cal rifle. I use a .45 cal wad in my revolvers and they all seal very well The treated wad (beeswax and tallow mixed) will swell out and seal. I've shot hundreds of them and they have always served as I expected. The dies I make are used in a drill motor and I cut them with the drilling action. Works better than punching.

I think you need to try both. In my rifles I've been satisfied with bore size wads. In my smooth bore I never felt comfortable the bore size wads would stay in place while hunting, so now I use 24ga wads in a .56 cal bore. On a side note the 28ga/.54cal Wonder Wads measured just over .562"+ and a .562 hand cast RB is a friction fit in the smoothbore. IIRC 28ga = .54cal and 24ga = .58cal, approximately. YMMV

I just went and measured the 24ga Wonder Wads and they measure ,610", so I'd say the factory wads are oversized already. I also checked my references and 24ga bore is about .579"-.580".

I use leather over powder wads, punched .025 to .030 over the land to land measurement. As a retired tool and die maker I have no problem making punches to punch exact sizes.

So what sized wad would be best for a 45 cal bore? Trying to locate a 45 cal wad cutter in these parts is next to impossible could I use an oversized .50 cal. wad instead?

So what sized wad would be best for a 45 cal bore? Trying to locate a 45 cal wad cutter in these parts is next to impossible could I use an oversized .50 cal. wad instead?
Buy Osborne punches on ebay in metric sizes - I use 12 mm (.472") punch for .45 cal, 13mm (.512") for .50 cal, and 14mm (.551") for .54 cal. They all fit snug and are easy to start in the barrel. You can always go up one size if you prefer.

Buy Osborne punches on ebay in metric sizes - I use 12 mm (.472") punch for .45 cal, 13mm (.512") for .50 cal, and 14mm (.551") for .54 cal. They all fit snug and are easy to start in the barrel. You can always go up one size if you prefer.
Or, you could make your own wad cutter. Drill a hole in the end of some tool steel round stock, grind a cutting edge on the stock, grind the side out above the cutting edge, then cut the punch to the length you desire and heat treat the cutting part. It will work better than anything you can buy.

Or, you could make your own wad cutter. Drill a hole in the end of some tool steel round stock, grind a cutting edge on the stock, grind the side out above the cutting edge, then cut the punch to the length you desire and heat treat the cutting part. It will work better than anything you can buy.
good idea but beyond the capabilities of many people plus my time is more valuable than $15 I spend on a punch:thumb:

I use 50 cal in my White Mountain carbine, I only shoot conical bullets from her. Can't say it makes a difference one way or another.

Yes, or just use the Walters Wads from buffalo arms company. .463”x.030” vegetable fiber. Very easily used, protects the base of the bullet. If using wool wads I use 50 caliber in 45s. 54 in 50. Etc.

I ended up with a bunch of cards, and fiber wads.

Does anyone use these types in ML shotguns, or smooth bores?

20240324_122641.jpg

20240324_192437.jpg

Back