• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Outside the box... again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Archie said:
Hanshi, Baxter and IonBuckaroo, There is the basic difference in philosophical contemplation. One person looks at the stars and asks "what are those and why are they?" and the next is satisfied with "they are there and they are beutiful". One perspective is no better than the other because it is personal.

However, Philosophy is to be studied for the questions it asks because these questions enlarge our perception of new possibilities and enhance our intellectual imagination and reduces the narrow assurance which closes the mind against speculation. This can be seen by looking at the history of human development. As an example; at some point, perhaps nine thousand years ago, an individual through philosophical contemplation asked a question about the malleability of copper. That led to the science of metallurgy and the development of new alloys which have had direct effects on man's control of his environment. Advances in agriculture, warfare, transport, even cooking were not possible without metal. The entire Industrial Revolution up to space exploration, from steam to electricity to nuclear power all because of one person’s philosophical mindset. At some point this person had the time and desire to think beyond the necessity of everyday living and pass that on to others which led to the enrichment of all mankind. It is through these types of progressive human developments that we can see the true value of philosophy and why it should be studied. :yakyak:

My wife tells me what to think and say, so I don't have any philosophical thoughts :yakyak: ....and the only time I see stars is when I don't listen to her! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

with all the caplock drop in barrels out there why not buy one of those, cut off the part that overhangs the lock plate flush with that barrel flat, then drill and tap for a stainless vent liner?

I'm asking if this is possible. I'd like to know. Seems like a good use for the MANY used barrels I see around.

As to Track of the Wolfs TC breech plugs, I've not had good luck with Tracks TC style breeches. Bad part quality and back order for years at a time on replacement parts.... I'd avoid them if I could.

IF you are having a barrel made by Rice or the like, I'd ask them if they could make you a flint style breech for TC. They might have the tools to make one from the same stock they use for barrels but you'd have to ask them.

Archie

If you can read Immanuel Kant's “Critique of Pure Reason” and understand it, my knee is bent and my hat is off to you. I tried three times to get into that book and just could not rap my puny brain around it.

I'm really impressed.

IONBuckaroo

I have been reading that book for two years. By far the toughest read yet. Even worse than Bertrand Russel if that is possible. I have struggled with every sentence and paragraph so I am not as deserving of praise. A great book for restless nights. I don't really understand why these guys need to use 1000 words to say what should be said in 100.

I'm trying to figure out how these books relate to shooting a flintlock rifle (which is the purpose of this section of the MLF)? :confused:
:hmm:

Zonie

Try reading a copy of "Critique of Pure Reason" by Immanuel Kant. That should keep you busy and off the internet.

IONBuckaroo

No thank you. I have better things to do with my time than to read about others ideas on the matter of reasoning, etc.

As for staying off of the internet, how can I do that and be your friendly forum moderator too? :grin:

I only use the internet to see what Paris is doing each and every moment :rotf:

I'm so old.....I remember writing letters by hand and mailing them. Then we would wait a couple of weeks for that person to write a letter back........no fax amchines, even 'copiers' were called memo-graph machines and had that revolving drum!!!!!!!! :hmm:
imagine....... :hmm:

Years ago, I taught my wife about genealogy and the internet.

And then I had to get a second phone line so that I could check my mail! :(

Zonie, Reading what the philosophers like Kant,socrates, Russell and even Thomas Jefferson had to say is a difficult endeavor for anyone. All of us benifit from their reasoning of moral values and defining thought processes as those ideas have changed through human history. They have laid down the rules of human behavior from personal interaction to dealing with and operating governments. So, there is a direct link between philosophical reasoning and loading and shooting a flintlock long gun even though it may not be obvious at first glance. Would you read a book on the philosophy of loading, shooting and cleaning a flintlock rifle? I bet you and many others who post on this forum have read enough about that subject to fill a library. From what I have read in your posts you have a very defined philosophy on building long guns as far as what passes for correct and right and that philosophy guides many new builders including myself. The fact that you are a moderator speaks volumes about how others respect your long gun philosophy. :bow:

"So, there is a direct link between philosophical reasoning and loading and shooting a flintlock long gun even though it may not be obvious at first glance."

Much as there is a direct link between eating and ear wax.

They both occur in your head - but one is much more useful than the other. ;-)

Philosophy has it's place; around the fire after the meal is cooked, eaten and the chores done. It's a luxury of the idle. Neither a tool nor a technique.

I think I'll have another beer. That is about as philosophical as I care to get. :wink:

Many Klatch

Aesthetics is a branch of philosophy dealing with critical reflection on art, culture and nature. When you build a musket or a powder horn or put together your camp gear and clothing to show up at the rendezvous or reenactment do you not try to emulate a certain era of history and the culture of the objects used during that time? Do you not study the equipment and accoutrements with a meticulous eye to ensure that it is all right and correct? Or do you just guess and show up with a CVA wolf and a handful of sabots and pyrodex wearing your tennis shoes and ball cap turned sideways? Is all that effort and work to get it right a wasted effort of the idle? My point is we all use philosophy every day in everything we do. We don’t have to sit and ponder the perceived pointlessness of human existence (Existential nihilism) or attempt to clarify the fundamental notions of existence, objects and their properties, space and time, cause and effect, and possibility (metaphysics).

A luxury of the idle? This week I put struts and wheel bearings in a 2007 trailblazer, a fuel pump in a 1997 saturn, shoveled snow, installed a new drop pipe in the water heater, made 20 pounds of venison bratwurst, shoveled more snow, repaired a cabinet hinge in the kitchen, studied algebra and ac/dc electrical theory for a test to get into the relay dept. at work then took the test and completely bombed it, spent several hours putting together my long rifle project, worked on a knife handle and stained it, spent 48 hours at work fixing freightshakers and binders (trucks) for the guys who attempt to maintain the electric grid infrastructure, tried to get the 21 year old off the XBOX and out of the basement and an untold amount of time prophesizing on this forum. The beauty of it all is during all this activity my brain is running at mach 3 hopping from what I am doing to what I will do next to what I need to do later and pondering the perceived pointlessness of human existence. Luxury of the idle my foot! :yakyak:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the 5 hours of sleep every day.

In my search for all of man's accumulated knowledge, lo these many years ago, I was required to take two courses in Philosophy to meet the Humanaties requirements in my degree plan. I left those courses winding my butt and scratching my watch and asking myself "What the....? :bull: If Philosophy has a value, then to whom?" :hmm: When was the last time you saw an ad in any newspaper for a Philsopher? When was the last time you saw a position in any of the Fortune 500 companies listed as Senior Philosopher or Chief of Philosophy? :idunno: This is not to say that one cannot use some aspect of philosophy when contemplating the field of muzzleloading. Perhaps Spheroskepsis or "be the ball". :haha:

:surrender: :doh: :idunno: Have you read anything that I have written in this string?

Back