• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just ordered a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle in .45 caliber with walnut stock. I also ordered (separately) two bottles of Laurel Mountain rust browning solution. This will be my first flintlock and also my first long rifle kit. If there's anything else I should aquire before it gets here (two to three weeks per website), wrt to building the kit, that is, I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Flints aren't included in the rifle parts list published on the site's SMR product page. One YouTuber mentioned he bought extra flints to be included with his order. I can't find flints listed anywhere on the site. Does the kit come with at least one flint, or should I buy some somewhere?

The SMR is a good choice. Agree with @BillyC on the tools. A fine cut rasp, a good assortment of sandpaper, you’ll mainly use 220 & 320. A single cut mill file for the barrel. You’ll need to decide how you want to finish the stock and metal parts. The kit comes with one flint, call Kibler’s to order more, they have a 5 or 6 limit. Start watching all the building videos Jim has put out, you’ll be set.

Good points on ordering the range rod and extra scrap pieces. The Kibler range rod is a good one, I have one, comes with 8-32 threads. I prefer 10-32, but adapters are easily purchased. You’ll need a .45 cleaning jag, a .45 bullet puller (or maybe several for you😬), .45 cleaning patches, and an assortment of .45 ball patches. I’d start with .015, .018, and .020. Maybe get some .010 too. I’d buy some .440 and .445 round balls so you can compare. My .45 SMR likes .018 patches and a .440 ball. Mine likes 45 grains 3F. I use 4F to prime.

I ordered an SMR in .36 caliber last week. I was able to get an upgraded walnut stock they had posted. I just finished a Woodsrunner in .54 caliber that my son purchased and knew before I got far into it that the SMR was in my future. The only thing I can think of is a very small punch and ball peen hammer for installing and removing pins. I will also be watching your build. I have not made any decisions on finishes as far as wood or metal yet. Enjoy, John.

@wiscoaster, your going to have to make a list of the items in all these post. No way for someone to remember everything in just one. Safe to say your going through need a lot. 1/16” drift punch, brass hammer, appropriate screwdrivers, shooting bag, powder horn or flask, priming horn or flask. Vent hole pick, pan brush, steel or brass or antler rod to knap your flints. Ball bag, tool bag, and you have to have a good sharp knife just because. And I’m not even going to get into patch lubes and cleaning.

Oh, and a short starter and patch puller jag.

Last edited:
...The only thing I can think of is a very small punch and ball peen hammer for installing and removing pins....
The smallest pin punch I've ever been able to find is 1/16 in. I go through those on a regular basis. When smaller is needed, a section of old drill bit usually works.

Last edited:
Do you have a spring vise to take the lock apart for the browning process?
No, it's probably at the top of the list. I used a vise grip on my Kentucky pistol lock. Yes, I know you're not supposed to. It works, but might damage or break the spring. It has only the one spring, and I got lucky. No harm done. I don't think I'll depend on luck with my $300 lock from Kibler.

Last edited:
Back