• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Only one gun allowed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You can only have one muzzleloader! What do you choose?

• Flintlock Rifle 45 cal or smaller

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Flintlock Rifle 50 cal or larger

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • Flintlock Fowler (bore of choice)

Votes: 60 31.4%
  • Percussion Rifle 45 cal or smaller

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Percussion Rifle 50 cal or larger

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Any Military Style Musket

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Percussion Smoothbore

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

Attachments

• 1766 CHARLEVILLE MUSKET.jpeg
    1766 CHARLEVILLE MUSKET.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1766 CHARLEVILLE MUSKET.jpeg
    1766 CHARLEVILLE MUSKET.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1132.jpeg
    IMG_1132.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 0
IMG_1137.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1347 - Version 2.jpeg
    IMG_1347 - Version 2.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • The Leatherman possibles bag with Red Heart, Scott & Cathy Sibley Powder Horn AWI 18thc.jpeg
    The Leatherman possibles bag with Red Heart, Scott & Cathy Sibley Powder Horn AWI 18thc.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 0
Without a doubt it would be a percussion 45 or smaller. It can be used for deer, rabbits, squirrels and anything else to feed oneself. It would be good for both a closer up and farther out shots. Does not use a lot of powder and fairly economical on lead. I can always make my own caps.

I wouldn’t consider anything different.

If I were limited to one gun I would want it to Be a cape gun or swivel barrel, .62 rifled and 20, 16, or12 GA smooth, probably choked. Percussion.

I understand these polls are just for fun and conversation, but @CaptainVane makes a good point. I think there are a number of forum members who are primarily handgunners. Personally, I would stick with my first choice on the poll, but it would be great to have a pistol/revolver option among the choices for those who prefer them.

Inclusivity, y’know. No shooter left behind….

Notchy Bob
1714674648609.gif

I voted none of the above, reason i am not into that position. Doubt i will ever be. I have a love affair with my small bore rifles, rock sparker or caps don't matter i love them both. I don't really need a smoothbore, i sure think they are nice to have. I don't hunt any winged game.

Seeing as I only have one right now, I have to vote flinter >.50cal. ;)

While I do enjoy smooth bores and could have selected a smooth bore 24 / .58 cal for my Colonial, I went with the rifled barrel. Where I live, the regs are easier to live with if you have a flinter and I've got some good sized game around (elk, moose, bear). The calibre might not be ideal for small game (not that I'm trying to save meat with prairie dogs), but it is probably the most versatile choice for where I live.

Besides, I love the stunned pause when the modern shooters hear ".58cal" when they ask you what you're shooting :D

Latest posts

Back