• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

? on Repair to a nose cap affecting Value on an original Piece?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
This may or not be the. best place to post this inquiry. If not please forgive me and tell me where I need post it!? My wife bought me a beautiful brace of flint pistols that i am going to try and ID with the help of the forum section tagged with that moniker. They are in beautiful condition, the only ID maker mark i can see on the barrels is a very small engraved cannon barrel viewed from above showing smoke and a ball exiting the barrel oriented towards the muzzle just forward of the breeches on both pistols. My concern is the nose caps are Horn and one has cracked and lost half of its body from by the rammer up towards the barrel. SO I am sure there are very talented Horners who may be able to patch or replace it BUT what is the standing rule for repairs affecting values on original period pieces!? They appear to be in fine firing condition, with tight crisp actions and the furniture is beautiful aside from that one nose cap.I would appreciate your thoughts and will be taking pictures this wekend.
Thank you!

Depends on what they are. If they are a nice old set by a famous maker- DON’T touch them, collectors want stuff that has not been messed with! If you have to fix them, send them to a professional restoration guy. His added work plus a letter will add value to your pistols. But- that depends on what they are. I’d wait on more information on them.

Back