• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olde thyme photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to real deal it is going to take a bit of work and might cost a bit of money. There are still guys out there doing photography with the same type of cameras that were used during the Civil War. Those cameras are actually capable of far higher photo quality than even the best modern cameras and are capable of things that modern photographers would tell you are not possible. Many of those guys are usi9ng 19th century lenses also. A small number of them make their own film with glass plates use the 19th century chemistry.

The number of people that do this type of thing is tiny. A local photographer is not likely to know anything about it. It would be like going to the local gun store to get a high end custom flintlock.

This probably the best place to find someone that can do it. https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/
Might be possible to find someone on one of the Civil War re-enactor forums.

Here is an old thyme photograph.
1713402408429.jpeg

Unsure which forum to post this in but... I want to have some photos taken of my wife, our dog, and myself that look like old photos. I have let my beard grow as long as it's ever been and I have a Confederate uniform to wear. My wife is willing to wear appropriate period correct clothing, and the dog won't mind. My phone/camera takes good clear pics and I have went several times to Walmart and used the instant photo option, if I can find it in operation, for photos before.
Wondering how to get black & white, or actually sepia I believe they're called (the brown & white look). I might check with a local professional photographer.
Best old thyme photos the wife and I have are some Tintype photos that used to frequent events, but I haven't seen any lately. We even found some Civil War antique frames (frames cost more then the photos!) To put them in.
We have half a dozen or more around the house now.

But for home brew; there are a variety of filters and layer techniques to simulate the old thyme look, in sapia, brownie, or just plain black and white - but there is some learning.
I use Photoshop PS (cheap version), PaintShop Pro, GIMP (free and can do most of what Photoshop can) and I have a few 'extra' tools.

Here are some samples of photos I have tweaked....first my wife, then a CW group with 'selective color', and final is me as pirate on a tall ship (forget which one, been on so many)

Attachments

• Teri_large.jpg
    Teri_large.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • Teri Confederate2.png
    Teri Confederate2.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Sepia on Ship2.jpg
    Sepia on Ship2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
Oh, here is a scan of one of our Tintype photos...original on tin is not quite so bright as the scanner is not 100%, I think this was at a Civil War classy dress party or maybe a Victorian event...never know when a tintype or collodion photographer might show up (amazing process!)
This on is on Tin

Attachments

• Banning 2016.jpg
    Banning 2016.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back