• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old style and new style Pedersoli locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an older Dixie Pennsylvania flintlock made by Pedersoli which I was told has an "old style" lock. Parts availability is iffy now, and I am wondering if the "new style" locks will fit? If not, is there a replacement lock that may fit without too much trouble?

Pete G said:
The L&R RPL lock is a much better lock than the Pedersoli.

I don't believe L&R makes an RPL for the Scout/Pennsylvania/Dixie Pa./Dixie Cub/Kentucky rifle or Ky. pistol lock. Those plus a few others, use the same lock pattern. Only the Frontier/Hatfield rifle is covered with the RPL #6.

As for denoting old vs. new lock, I would guess it refers to with or without stirrup. An older lock has the mainspring pushing down on the tumbler (hook of the tumbler, or whatever it is called :grin: ) like most locks. The newer ones I've seen has a stirrup pinned between tumbler and mainspring, the spring tip is below the tumbler, and pulls down on it.

I think (but would not swear on it) the lock plate is the same.

Back