• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ok! Patch diameter..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use square patches and I don't lube the whole patch which would be unnecessary. I just stick the center in the lube and move it around to get the center lubed enough that it covers the ball, rake off excess lube and it's good. Many people cut patches at the muzzle and they end up coming out more square than round anyway. Not knocking anyones method, like stated round, square or even flower shaped they all shoot the same.

I use square patches and I don't lube the whole patch which would be unnecessary. I just stick the center in the lube and move it around to get the center lubed enough that it covers the ball, rake off excess lube and it's good. Many people cut patches at the muzzle and they end up coming out more square than round anyway. Not knocking anyones method, like stated round, square or even flower shaped they all shoot the same.

I can lube the entire patch because they are round and perfectly sized, no corners of excess and unneeded material to deal with. No fiddling or guess work.
Lube, load and shoot.

You make it sound like it's a laboring task.

Folks make it sound like it's easier to cut square patches than it is to cut round patches.
There's no difference, except that it's easier ( and faster) to make a round patch cutter than it is to make a scissors or a knife, and the final product is easier to manipulate.

I've tried every crazy idea that comes down the pipe, yet I keep gravitating back to round patches. I like simple, effective and efficient, for me that's a round patch.

None of what I say is meant to be a criticism, just passing along my experiences and enjoying reading and learning from everyone else's.

I have noticed that with circle patches the groups are a nice round circle, but the square patches seem to be more angular or "boxy" in shape. Really !!
(chuckle)

I use 1-3/8" wide torn strips and cut at the muzzle or loading block as needed for both my .50 and .54 so I can be assured they are always centered.

One less thing to worry about.

I do the same for my .45 and .50. I still need to make myself a loading block for the .45...note to self...

BTW: my shot patches are all pretty much round. I don't know how you would manage to make them come out square cutting at the muzzle. Not trying to be argumentative, just making an observation and posing a puzzle.

The creases when the patches are folded over to fit down the bore. Try doing it and then pick up your fired patches. They are not completely square of coarse but some what.

What is wrong with the rip, lick and snip or rip and slice? Rip a length of striped ticking and then lick the end, cover the end of the muzzle with the spit wet end of the ticking , place the ball over the patching start the ball, clip or slice the extra cloth even with the muzzle and ram it home. Has always worked for me...... I know some folks think it is dumb for a grown man walking around with a muzzleloading rifle with a strip of ticking hanging out of his mouth.

Being by nature wanting to do things the easy way I just buy the round ticking patches in the 100 pack. I lube them with the tow mink oil. After lubing I put them into one of the cci 100 rd plastic boxes with the sliding top. This fits into the 30 cal ammo can I use for a range box. I use the same patch for .45 cal and above. It's my system and works for me. I have used the square patches I've cut but see no difference in ease of loading or accuracy.

Anybody try the pushing daisies shaped patches? They are stamped or cut with six to eight round "petals" by Idaho or Oregon ml company who also markets a bear tallow-beeswax patch lube. Are they actually more accurate or a fad or sales gimmick?

Anybody try the pushing daisies shaped patches? They are stamped or cut with six to eight round "petals" by Idaho or Oregon ml company who also markets a bear tallow-beeswax patch lube. Are they actually more accurate or a fad or sales gimmick?
Fad. From the bottom of the ball up to its widest point forms a gasket to prevent blow by, and a tight fit to grab the rifleing and the ball. When the curve of the ball moves away from the rifleing the patch doesn’t do anything.
So square, daisy,triangular or any other shape is meaningless.
The only trouble on would run into is if extra bunch in front of the ball grabs the rod as you attempt to withdraw.
Cutting at the muzzle or using patches cut for the size of the gun prevents that grabbing, no matter the shape

I cut my patches at the muzzle.

When cut, the patch, ball and muzzle look like this.
Cut at Muzzle.JPG

The ball is perfectly centered with the patch nestled around the ball with the top visible.

I shot okay. See another entry where i use the old cataract excuse. Trigger control had a bit to do with the scattering. A loose front sight didn't help either.
Patches and Target.JPG

The hole is a little over an inch and even though cut at the muzzle are not perfectly round.

Back