• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio Primitive Weapons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatStick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I sent an e-mail to the Chief of the ODNR about "Muzzleloder" season. I received a response that my concerns would be forwarded. I think I will type up a cover all form letter and send a copy weekly to him and State Rep. in hopes of having a primitive weapon season again. This bandwagon has all kinds of room, so hop on. This is a copy of the e-mail I sent.

I have noticed a severe decline in the tradition of hunting. It seems
that every sixteen year old is a self proclaimed trophey hunter with a
Hi-Tech bow or in line muzzleloader. Where would I start to have an
actual "Primitive Weapon" season back on the books for Ohio? I think a 2
week Flint Lock, Iron sight type season "Statewide" would inspire some
folks to get back to their roots and realize that hunting is not about
what gear you bought, but more about where it comes from, lifestyle and
that an instant gratification hunting style where you get your weapon of
choice out three days before the season opens to kill something is not
what it is all about.

:thumbsup: Hey Meat,tried the same thing in N.J a few yrs back,Deaf Ears.Have since retired to N.Y trying here.I think all these states have the same kind of ears.We just have to keep hammering them. :yakyak: Griz

You'd probably get more action if you told them they can get more license revenue by selling yet another license for a new season.

Every year we're in a fight just to keep the scopes out of our muzzleloader season so we don't have a bunch of single-shot high-powered rifles with 250 yard range to deal with and everything that would come with that.

Best of luck.

Ohio doesn't sell deer tags based on any weapons. If you buy any sex tags they are good for any legal weapon. There are some antlerless that must be used by certain dates in certain zones and some of those end up being archery only in parts of the state.

There is some talk of an early (October) ML doe season. I suggested making it trad only. I don't have much hope but it don't hurt to plant the seed.

ny griz said:
:thumbsup: Hey Meat,tried the same thing in N.J a few yrs back,Deaf Ears.Have since retired to N.Y trying here.I think all these states have the same kind of ears.We just have to keep hammering them. :yakyak: Griz
It will never happen in NY unless they can make a buck off it.

I sent the same letter to the two rep's for my region and the Governor, and will continue to do so once a week. The least they could do is give us back our primitive weapons season in January.

Wow....deer licenses good for any weapon. In Minnesota, I cannot even USE my bow tag now that I already filled my muzzleloader tag since I'm in a one-deer area. I had to buy three different licenses at $27 a pop to hunt bow, reg gun (w/muzzleloader) and muzzleloader but only allowed to fill one of them. Like buying two cars and one has to sit in the garage because I drove the other one once and got to where I was going!

Seeing all the deer so many of you can take and fewer restrictions makes me think I need to move somewhere else when I retire in a few years!

I can remember when Ohios' Black powder Rifle season meant oiling up the old cap lock and/or flintlock and heading to the woods.Now you see all the fancy rifles we don't discuss here.I went to MC sports today for some .490 round balls,I had a hard time finding them so I approached a young sales clerk..he looked at me like I had three heads when I asked him my question.Then the young clerk pointed me in the direction of PLASTIC SLEEVED SABOTS.Anyway,I found what I was looking for and showed the kid what I needed and told him why I needed them. It's the way society is going these days, the latest and the greatest will always prevail.Anyhow..what some are saying is probably true, your petition will most likely fall on deaf ears. I too will send a few emails out to a couple of people I know in the ODNR circus. STAY THE COURSE! Keep us updated..

Meat,
I hear Ya. I live in a Yuppie infested part of Washington State. I do ML stuff at gunshows, and get these lame brains trying to peddle off used in-lines to me. By looking at My table goods, they seem to overlook the Flintys and Sidelocks that I deal in..Never mind all the Fur Trade Era gear....
Folks out here have to have a new .88 Mag and a shiney rifle to impress their buddys. They have also ruined hunting by drinking beer, yelling, screaming, and hollering through the woods.
I miss the good old days of still hunting with My Mountain Rifle, and actually seeing game, and no other hunters..My how times have changed.
Good Luck to You on Your quest. Wish I were there to help You!!!

Nothing ventured nothing gained! WV's first ml season started with flintlock only 1 day on state owned land. Then progress to cap and flint for 3 days state wide in countys where buck gun season allowed. Then it morfed into week with scopes and the others. Years ago I asked why there couldn't be an early ml season. One wildlife biologist told me you can't kill but so many bucks. Told him I didn't want to kill anymore just wanted more opportunity. Now some several years later they have an early antlerless season in September (TOO HOT) and require you to buy an additional stamp. Its early,not just for caps or flints but its a start. Dan.

We use to have a 4 day doe season that was open to all firearms. I loved it as it was my early oct ML hunt. Now due to a lot of people crying about shooting does and bow hunters not wanting any firearms season before the Nov gun season it is gone. I like to hunt for meat in Oct when it is warmer out and get my meat in freezer so I do not have to mess with that during the regular gun season.

"It seems
that every sixteen year old is a self proclaimed trophey hunter with a
Hi-Tech bow or in line muzzleloader. "

Not every sixteen year old! :wink: And I highly agree with the traditional muzzleloader season! It is a great thing and I support it all the way :bow:

We shall see how you are next year, just kidding, seems your parents are raising you proper. Remember "Only the cool kids shoot sidelocks"

It comes in the 7th of January till the 10. You better read your laws. Dilly

I'm not sure what laws you want me to read, I know the statewide "Muzzleloader" season is the 7,8,9 and 10th. I am wanting to see it changed back to "Primitive" weapons.

I guess you want to outlaw the inlines ? Don't think that is going to go down. Dilly

Not outlaw, separate. I don't care much what someone wants to hunt with in the general gun season, but we used to have a Primitive Weapon season that I would like to see again.

Back