• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh the Struggle!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roguedog

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How many of you struggle with which rifle/shotgun you want to take hunting? I love all my guns and each one of them kind of sings to me in their own way. As a result, I typically use several guns during the various seasons. What say you? Do you have a favorite weapon or do you have several loves?

Jeff

Don't know that I'd call it a struggle, just taking turns enjoying different ones or using them for different reasons.
For example this year I was field testing a double-ball deer load out of the .45cal and took a Doe with it.
Then switched to the .62cal(20ga) smoothbore as I hadn't deer hunted it for a couple seasons...took a couple Does with it.
Switched to the .58cal, actually what I think of as my deer rifle, ended up taking a Doe with it.
Now hunting the .54cal(28ga) smoothbore for another change.
And after deer season, I'll probably try some squirrels with the 20ga...and maybe the 28ga & .40cal...consider myself lucky to have choices.

Ha Ha we were just discussing this today. If I am going on a short walk to hunting area I might take the hawkens because its heavy. If I am going 3 miles back in the swamp or still hunting I will usually take the 45 or 40 long rifle because its lighter and makes a great leaning post/walking stick. If I expect a longer shot I take the bigger caliber or just try to move in tighter to where the deer go. I have every caliber from 32-58 in all length and size flint and percussion. Sometime I go on instinct to or have a certain stand I shot a big buck with a gun and will always take that gun when I hunt that stand. Im from the north and we do alotta deer drives or use a scrabbler/pusher with blockers I am usually a mover lighter gun, a blocker usually a bigger heavier gun. If its raining I usually go percussion unless sitting in a portable ground blind then maybe a flinter, but then a short barreled gun because its tough to get the muzzle of a long rifle out the window of a pop uo blind quickly at times. Other than that its a no brainer I take whatever

Guess I've been lucky. I haven't had a real problem with any of my MLs. Most guns for that part. I finally had problems with a couple center fire rifles so I guess my luck ran out but still considering the number of guns I've gone through and most of them used, I've been pretty lucky.

Not a struggle but I will rotate guns during the season. If I get game and/or fire a gun at all, I'll be taking a different firelock the next time out.

After hunting on a Texas ranch from 1972 to 1996 and killing 4 to 6 deer a year I have hung up the modern arms. I hunt with bows and MLR's.

Thr thrill of getting the game within 30 to 50 yards is what flips my switch now. I have harvested enough deer here in Texas to say that other than range restrictions there is little delta in their ability to kill game.

I have a great Scott & Sons 13 gauge but I have passed it on to my son and only use a Ithaca 16 gauge double and a Remington 11 16 gauge!

As far as MLR's go I tend to go with the one that shot best for me on the last range trip!

Geo. T.

I'm going to stick exclusively to my 28 bore smooth bore this year. I'm going by this premiss...

Beware of him that has but one gun.

The area I hunt in PA is rather thick even in the winter. My prefered way to hunt deer here is stalking. Hundred yard shots are rare from the ground. As a result my favorite rifles are short barrels in straight octagon. The barrels range from 21" to 24"; I have barrels as long as 32" but they rarely go hunting. The carbines are a joy to carry and I mostly shoot ball now. I have switch out barrels for some stocks that are 1/66-1/70, 1/48, and 1/28 twists that can shoot projectiles other than ball. Most of the deer I shoot are under 60 yards; some rested some not.

My favorites are a 21" PA Hunter Carbine flinter shooting 80 grains Goex 3f with a patched .490 ball. My other favorite is a 24" RMC flinter with 1/28 twist and the load for this one is a bit hotter shooting unmentionable projectiles. It's extremely accurate and hits hard; more than is needed for sure.

The Lyman Deerstalker .54 flinter I bought a couple years ago got some range time this year and it's shooting real well with 80 grains 3f and a patched .530 ball. It hasn't been around long enough to be a favorite yet and it's a little heavier than the others but I think I will like it alot for the type of hunting I do.

So I like the carbines and they work well for me and they like to go walking. The step up from .50 to .54 shooting ball seems like a very positive improvement but I have not taken a deer with it yet. At the range the Lyman .54 has been doing some good things; it's very accurate.

Ya Jeff, I struggle, have .32 to .58 (6 .50's lol) and 2 shot guns, 2 revolvers, a kntcy .50. I use the .32 or .36 for tree rat, "usually" the cva 1960's era .50 for deer as it shoots 2" 100yd groups, the 54 for 58 for elk. just got my 20ga and super storm has prevented testing out, will use for ducks over decoys (and/or blue grouse, we got a few here in the Flagstaff area and saw my 1st two last elk scouting season). The 12ga "gobbler I use for, well turkey.

I really do want a .40 now though, have heard its the most accurate caliber? Surfing posts all night am also thinking bout a smooth bore rifle/musket. Also thinking of the clothing issue, some really cool outfits seen here tonight! See ya!

I'm lucky to have a variety of muzzleloading weapons. I used my flintlock .54 to kill a small buck earlier in the season. I was cleaning my .58 Renegade the other day and was thinking to myself how short, light and capable the gun was. It got me thinking that I may take the Renegade out next.
Great replies. Thanks!

Jeff

:eek:ff
54ball said:
I'm going to stick exclusively to my 28 bore smooth bore this year. I'm going by this premiss...

Beware of him that has but one gun.

That's a Clint Smith quote isn't it?
He also said ""The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

My dad told us "every fight that doesn't have a referee with a whistle, is a life or death fight. Win however, but win!"

Back on topic :redface:

I struggle with which rifle in my head a week before the hunt, but the answer is almost always the same :idunno: Same centerfire though I have 7, rimfire same one 90% of the time though I have 8. M/L Large bore it's my Sears & Roebuck .50 cal, Small Bore is Suzy Q my .32 though I have 4 other M/Ls.

21 rifles & I hunt with the same FOUR 90% of the time. Gee I hope my wife doesn't see this :shocked2: :rotf:

For me,,,I have to chose the NSW Early English 62/20, every TIME I head to the woods she throws a fit iffin I don't take her along :grin:

I just see one of my guns and then it bugs me until I take it hunting. I feel that I have to be fair so I try to kill a deer or game with each gun. Sometimes it takes a while to "blood" one because I have to cycle through until it's that one's turn again. :grin:

No struggle for me as I only have a Lyman Trade rifle. I am normally a traditional bow hunter so, it is also the only firearms of any type that I own. :grin:

for me it depends on the conditions, since i pheasant hunt with original guns i set rules for their use. my primary gun is a London made 13ga percussion double, it's a higher grade gun and in very good condition. however if there is active precipitation of any type or any significant chance thereof or it is below 15 degrees, the percussion gun stays home and the much younger and of much lower value (although still in very good condition) 12ga BP breech loader double comes out for the day.

for deer, which is infrequent for me. it depends on the cover type. if i hunt with my dad it's the 20ga flint smoothbore because the cover is tight and shots beyond 40yrds are rare. If in IA where 100yrd shots are possible, then the P53 gets some time.

Back