• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Odd Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patch knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a repro. fullstock Kentucky pistol that has a back action percussion lock . The stock is made of a very nice piece of tiger stripe maple . The barrel is 13/16" octagon , 9-5/16" long with 7 groove rifleing and no markings on it at all . The back action lock plate is 3-3/16" long and 3/4" at its widest point and has the letters TF in a square stamped on the inside . The hammer is cast and has the letter G followed by the number 11 cast into it . The internal parts of the lock are rough looking (plenty of file marks) but are well fitted and lock works perfectly well . The trigger has no trigger plate , only a close fittng slot cut into the stock for the trigger . There is no sideplate , just two brass teardrop shaped eschutions for the lock screws , and the lockscrews appear to be made from nails :hmm: . The nose cap appears to be brass plated aluminum :confused: with most of the plating worn away . The ramrod pipes are made from sheet brass and the entry pipe has a crude sheet brass apron soldered onto it . Although the stock is made from a nice piece of tiger stripe maple (real tiger stripe , not the faux stuff) it is "slab sided" and tapers from 1-3/8" at the grip to 1" at the barrel . The barrel has front and rear sights , the rear sight is steel and front sight is nickel silver (?) soldered to a brass base . The trigger guard is cast brass and pretty rough looking . It appears the pistol was assembled half-assed and in a hurry , the barrel is pinned to the stock with a single pin through a hole drilled into the bottom of the barrel that runs out of most of the barrel with only a very small section enclosing the pin , and the tang is secured to the stock by a small screw . The foreward ramrod pipe pin is drilled on an angle and enters into the barrel channel . The trigger guard is scewed into the grip and pinned at the front , only the hole for the pin didn't go into the tab so there is half a hole in the top of the tab and the only thing holding the front of the trigger guard into the stock is tension . Despite the half-assed assembly , the trigger is fitted perfectly to the sear bar , with no "trigger wiggle" and the trigger stays in the same position at rest on the nipple , half cock and full cock . I find it strange that a pistol this shoddy would have a tiger stripe stock , and an action that works as well as it does :confused: . Have any of you run across anything like this or have any idea where or when this pistol was made (I know it's not an antique) . I wonder if it was made in India or Spain maybe . Sorry I don't have any pics , even if I did I don't know how to post them . I have the photobucket thing but I don't know how to cut and paste and I don't understand "computerese" very well :shake: .

Anyone want to venture a guess :hmm: ? Sorry about the long winded verbal description , I know y'all were expecting some pics . My brother has a digital camera , maybe I can get some pics when I go up there tomorrow . Maybe he can explain this cut and paste stuff to me . I'm curious about this pistol it is somewhat enigmatic .

Back