• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NY hunter new reg proposals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Check this link out, http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/2005prop.html
New York is going to make some big changes next year in the Southern Zone. Including giving us an early muzzleloader season :applause: :thumbsup:. Finally. These are not carved in stone the bowhunters for example are proposing the early ml season start the week prior to gun. The DEC is looking for input so if you hunt NY look at this and feel free to make comments to them.

I wish we could get something like that here in WV. Our ML season is the last season in late Dec. I hope they write it in stone for ya'll. :redthumb:

YMH&OS,
Chuck

Thats great but dont believe it . It would be great if it was a cap lock or flint only with round ball. But my only grip is that i dont want shot gun opened on a sat and bow is way to early :m2c:

I agree stump i dont like it .But who am I some poeple start hunting as soon as the 4 of july beer weres off!!! He we should hook up this winter and shoot the bull :thumbsup:

Too bad it has to coincide with the Northern Tier early muzzleloader season. That's my primitive camping season in the Adirondacks and there's no way I'd miss that. Don't get many deer up there but I get to take a canoe or guideboat back in the woods and live like my ancestors for a week. Then again it's not really about the deer anyway (although the wife thinks it is).

I'm gonna try the late season down here this year. Who knows maybe I'll manage to make meat for a change.

Dick

Nuts, I didn't even think that the two early ml seasons overlapped. If you want contact the DEC and make comments about what you like or don't they want to hear from sportsmen. I spoke to one of the biologists and he told me the MLing community in NY has not been as vocal as the bowhunters, so if we add our two cents we might have some influence. The early southern zone season might get moved to the week prior to gun, the bowhunters proposed that. I think I prefer that scenario too.

Stumpy, your "Saving Pvt. Ryan" analogy is a good one. I kind of dread the idea of working a Sat. opener. The Saturday opener seems to be a done deal, but if you don't like it comment to the DEC. Seriously, if you are polite and want to express you views they do want to get letter, e-mails and phone calls. Just don't wait to long a decison must be made soon.
Keith

I think it is time they make muzzle-loading season for muzzle loaders, and put the "race guns" or "bat guns" in with the modern rifles.

Here in Washington State it's generally bow, then muzzle loader, then modern rifle. Maybe they should have a "scoped-whizz bang-ultra-revolution-knight rider-3000" or "modern rifle that loads from the muzzle" season between muzzle loader and modern rifle. Of course that would probably make ML season shorter.

Maybe they need to have a "primitive" or "traditional" rifle season...but I guess either the rules and definitions would get really complicated, and then there would be another race to meet the "letter of the law" but still make a rifle that fools could try to shoot 300 yards with and still go bang no matter how inept one was at cleaning, loading and maintaining the rifle.

I guess some states allow scoped rifles during muzzle-loading seasons...I just don't get that.

If I load my .45-70 from the muzzle, can I use it during muzzle loading season? Bet I could fill a case with powder, seal it with an over-powder wad, and then ram a saboted .30" bullet down the bore. Or just use the case as a "primer", and pour in the powder too. YEAH BABY!!

Rat

Pretty much my thoughts. NY is apparently considering a flintlock season for the future, that is kinda neat. Where I live the regular season is a shotgun season, no CF rifles. Which is knda of illogical because I can use an Encore pistol in 3006 or a bat gun, but hey whatever. During that season I would rather see guys carrying inlines than shotguns for several reasons.

I have to admit one of my reasons was I figured that guys would have to put some time into making the gun shoot and thus be a bit more competent with it. I guess that idea may not hold water. I talked to a guy the other day who bought a bat gun. This is his first year trying a frontstuffer. He said he shot one day, eight shots. :shake: It seemed to shoot good so he figures he's ready. :no: I didn't even argue. If he's like that what's the point? I don't expect everybody to shoot their deer gun every weekend all year, but a little practice, especially with a new gun isn't to much to ask is it? Oh well, maybe he won't clean it and the pyrodex bat pellets will rust his bore.

:agree:

If inlines were relegated to the regular gun season, they'd immediately go to the back of the closet and never be used again...

Probably, though some guys are wising up and realizing that the inline is more accurate and kicks less than a 12 ga. There is and will continue to be a late ml season in December, Brrr. By that time I don't know if it matters what people are using the deer are fewer and wary. After the orange army moves through allowing inlines or anything else doesn't matter much. The late ML season has really been a disappointing joke to me. That's why I'm so excited about an early season.

We're very lucky here in NC with our early ML seasons...the chase phase of the rut is generally occuring when my early ML season opens 2nd week of November...this year the pre-rut started earlier than normal with the moon phases and was just winding down when my season opened...didn't see as many bucks this time as they were back deep in the thickets with hot does doing what they like to do best...but they should start traveling for food again after Thanksgiving and I'll hunt Saturdays & Holidays right at dusk until January 1st

i read this is just a proposal. anyone have any idea of who to call or write to show my support?

The DEC biologists in wildlife. I don't see a link on the website to send comments though. Call the regional DEC office and ask to speak to the regional deer biologist. This is not going to be a good week to call those guys are in the field a lot this week. Oh, and make sure you tell them you like the early muzzleloader, but prefer it to be moved back into November prior to the regular season. Then the northern and southern zone seasons aren't running at the same time.

Thought I share my response to DEC regarding these just to gauge others opinions.

BTW the address to contact NYS DEC about this is: [email protected]

Here goes:
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth of opinion on the proposed changes to the NYS deer season restructuring.

* A Special Youth Big Game Hunt. - I'm all for this, I don't have any children old enough to participate yet but will in a few more years. Any strategy that helps carry on the tradition is worth the effort. I'm sure some hunters will gripe about this but I feel this hunt should come well before the regular season. Kids need an opportunity to see game in the field and once the regular season kicks in it becomes much more difficult. It doesn't take many outings of seeing no game whatsoever to turn a modern kid back to their video games and lose a possible lifetime hunter.

* Consideration of pilot programs for Alternative Harvest Strategies such as antler restrictions and "Earn a Buck" on a pilot basis for selected WMUs - I don't have any comment on this proposal. I'd need to see some more detail on what exactly is proposed.

* Further extension of the late Archery and Muzzleloader seasons. - I'm all for this. I hunt exclusively with a flintlock and appreciate the special muzzleloader seasons and their generally rather low hunter turnout.

* Consideration of creating "primitive implement" (flintlock) opportunities. - I'm all for this as well. I've been hunting with a flintlock for 20+ years and it's rather distressing to see the scoped inlines taking over the seasons. My personal opinion on the matter is that they are "cheating" on the spirit if not the letter of the law. I don't feel the same about traditional caplocks, but would still welcome a flintlock only season, (to include matchlock, snaphaunce, wheelock, etc, say anything pre 1830). This opportunity would restore the "primitive" aspect I feel was originally intended for the muzzleloader season.

* Consideration for the use of crossbows for deer hunting. - No comment. I don't know enough about the weapons to have a stand for or against.

* Consideration of a trial either-sex early muzzleloader season in the portions of the Southern Zone after evaluating the results of the seasons and the impacts on other hunters, deer harvest and hunter satisfaction. - My only issue with this proposal is that if it falls during the same time frame as the Northern Zone early muzzleloader season I'll have to choose where I want to spend my vacation. I've been hunting deep in the Adirondacks for the entire early muzzleloader season for most of the last 20 years and would hate to have to pick between deer quantity (Southern Zone) and the aura of hunting the big woods (Northern Zone). The Northern Zone would undoubtedly win out for me and I suspect many others who have created a tradition of hunting that season.

* Consideration for including future changes to Northern Zone season structure and timing to achieve even greater consistency and parity with Southern Zone seasons. - I don't see any problem with the Northern Zone season structure as it is. The deer populations are low enough that shortening the season would most likely just lower the already abysmal harvest numbers. I live in the Southern Zone now but still do most of my hunting up north. If the seasons fell more in line I'd probably stop hunting the Southern Zone altogether. A late muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone would have the potential of offering up hunts when the deer have already begun yarding up for the winter, at least in those years when winter comes early to the north. Selfishly speaking I'd love the opportunity to hunt up north during mid-December but I don't think it's a particularly good idea for the deer herd.

This doesn't come from much of a deer harvester, I can count the number of deer I've shot in my life on one hand. From my point of view it's much more about the opportunity and the quality of the hunt as opposed to the quantity of deer available to bag. All that being said the more I can get out to hunt, particularly during special muzzleloader seasons, the happier I am. I intend to pass that enjoyment on to as many of my four children as I can.

Dick

Keith,

As one of those "unreconstructed" ML shooters I can't wait to see a REAL primitive season. Until the inlines showed up we had the ML season all to ourselves much like the way I remember Archery season in the mid-Seventies until the training wheels on bows took over. Within 3 years it was impossible to find more than 20% of archers using tradbow gear and the shops were whoring for the new market with a vengeance.

-Ray :m2c:

:m2c:, While technology is great (this forum wouldn't be possible without it), I think it leads to more ignorance and incompetence (in certain cases). I am a high school teacher and I see this in education as well. Students can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator.

Anyway, I think people who use modern, inline rifles don't want to be bothered with the quirks of traditional muzzleloaders. I was at a range firing my rifle when a gut told me he used to use a cap lock until he lost too many bucks. It could of been his gun, himself or both. I don't know. What I do know is that my first deer taken was with a ML that I stalked and shot from 50 yds. Had I had a rifle with a scope, I may have decided that 100+ yds was ok. Nothing can compare to the thrill I experienced. I now laugh at tose outdoor channel shows where a couble of guys go up in a tower and sit there, wait a while until unsuspecting bucks cross there path and are shot from ridiculous ranges.

I posted about spooking deer recently. Had someone with a shotgun been in my shoes, I would wager that they would have taken a shot, then another, then another. With a traditional ML, you are not going to shoot until you have a clean shot, at least I do. You have one shot and it needs to count.

I liked Ray comment about bow with training wheels. Although this is my first year hunting, ever, I was interested in bow hunting about 5 years ago and I bought a longbow thinking that a compund would be like hunting with a rifle. I just now got my bow hunting license and look forward to using it with my longbow.

That's a little more than two cents. I hope you don't mind.

Francesco,

It's the "old farts" who keep the sport honest. I used to bring all sorts of junk to the range that I never used but it always came in handy. I was like a BP packrat at shows. Even before I owned a flinter I had a small stash of flints in my box and it came in handy when some newbie busted the only flint he had. I've lent out various ball pullers and all of that kept some neophytes from developing a distaste for muzzleloading.

If we want to continue to shoot BP we have to be ready for such situations. Sharing knowledge or just letting some kid take a shot with your flinter may be the spark that gets another shooter involved.

-Ray :m2c:

Back