• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not sure if I can make this happen but…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m going to try anyway. It’s not completely mounted yet. Needs a rear wood screw of the proper size. Also need to drill out the aperture. There’s room but not a whole lot to get it as large as I like. I think it will work on this .54 GPR well enough so I can see in poor light conditions. This is my deer tool for this coming season.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1912.jpeg
    IMG_1912.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Are you using the original tang bolt in the front of it?
No. It’s the original rear wood screw that goes in the rear tang hole. I’m using that for the forward hole in the sight mount. I’ll need to drill a rear hole in the stock. It’s the only way it’s going to work on this ML. Application states its for a Plains Rifle, not Great Plains Rifle. So, I figured it might take a little work to install or get it opened up like I need it to be.

That Lyman 57 sight has to go. Not for me.

Last edited:
I think your main problem using it for hunting deer is that the aperture is way too small, especially if you're in dim light. It depends on the range too. You would be better off with a small disk with a large hole in it. It's surprises some folks how good a group they can shoot looking through a big hole in the rear peep.

I would have concerns when using that sight when hunting, unless from a stand. It would be too easy to knock that sight out of wack when still hunting or stalking. I have successfully used the Skinner "Low Pro" on the tang of a GPR. It requires drilling and tapping a hole in the tang, but it puts the sight low on the gun so it won't snag in the brush. It is only adjustable for elevation, but you can get different sized apertures to fit your needs.

I would suggest you duct tape it in place first, and try it out in the wood in actual hunting conditions. I don't think you will like a tang sight for hunting in the woods.
It doesn't need duct tape. The front wood screw that goes through the tang hole holds it secure enough for now.

First things first. The aperture has to be drilled out. That's my main concern. The way this one is built there's not a lot of meat that can be trimmed. But it might work. I know I can at least make the hole 4X larger. As it is now, its tiny. If I cannot get it opened up large enough to suit me, then its a no go.

My other peeps work very well in poor light conditions.

In the dark woods is exactly why I choose an aperture sight. Its the only way to go in these dark woods in poor light conditions.

Last edited:
I would have concerns when using that sight when hunting, unless from a stand. It would be too easy to knock that sight out of wack when still hunting or stalking. I have successfully used the Skinner "Low Pro" on the tang of a GPR. It requires drilling and tapping a hole in the tang, but it puts the sight low on the gun so it won't snag in the brush. It is only adjustable for elevation, but you can get different sized apertures to fit your needs.
It folds both rearward and forward. Not completely but pretty flat. I knew before I ordered it that there still may be an issue with brush getting hung up in it. I don't think it will be difficult to fold it forward and place my hand over it when walking through thick areas. Before shooting or once on stand just flip it reward. Aperture sights certainly work great on my other ML's. One folds, the other does not.

This ML is for stand hunting. I’ll still have to walk through some thick stuff but it’s completely doable.

It can’t be much worse than the Lyman 57 peep.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpeg
    IMG_1397.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1149.jpeg
    IMG_1149.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think your main problem using it for hunting deer is that the aperture is way too small, especially if you're in dim light. It depends on the range too. You would be better off with a small disk with a large hole in it. It's surprises some folks how good a group they can shoot looking through a big hole in the rear peep.
I have other aperture sights on two other ML's. Actually had three counting the one I removed from this ML. They work great but I have opened up the aperture on them, all except for the TC peep.

I agree. I have proven that larger peeps still provides good accuracy even at longer distances.

I’m very interested in this project. I considered doing the same thing to my renegade but didn’t want to buy an expensive sight and have it not work.

What kind of front sight are you going with?

Do you know where one of these sights could be sourced? All of them I’ve seen fold backward.

I have shot peeps a lot and they are GREAT for hunting. I found a .125 aperture to allow me to shoot from a half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset...maybe not quite if its cloudy. .150 is better for darker, but that is where I started noticing groups at longer yardages opening up.

Rather than drilling that one out, I'd just get a new one with the larger hole. Save that one for sighting in. I like using a smaller hole for sighting, then put the .125 in for hunting.

It folds both rearward and forward. Not completely but pretty flat. I knew before I ordered it that there still may be an issue with brush getting hung up in it. I don't think it will be difficult to fold it forward and place my hand over it when walking through thick areas. Before shooting or once on stand just flip it reward. Aperture sights certainly work great on my other ML's. One folds, the other does not.

This ML is for stand hunting. I’ll still have to walk through some thick stuff but it’s completely doable.

It can’t be much worse than the Lyman 57 peep.
How do you like that peep on your Crockett Ed?

It doesn't need duct tape. The front wood screw that goes through the tang hole holds it secure enough for now.

First things first. The aperture has to be drilled out. That's my main concern. The way this one is built there's not a lot of meat that can be trimmed. But it might work. I know I can at least make the hole 4X larger. As it is now, its tiny. If I cannot get it opened up large enough to suit me, then its a no go.

My other peeps work very well in poor light conditions.

In the dark woods is exactly why I choose an aperture sight. Its the only way to go in these dark woods in poor light conditions.
My modern big game rifles have aperture sights. Once they are sighted in, the the aperture is unscrewed, and the sights for hunting are basically a ghost ring. Accuracy does not suffer.

I have shot peeps a lot and they are GREAT for hunting. I found a .125 aperture to allow me to shoot from a half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset...maybe not quite if its cloudy. .150 is better for darker, but that is where I started noticing groups at longer yardages opening up.

Rather than drilling that one out, I'd just get a new one with the larger hole. Save that one for sighting in. I like using a smaller hole for sighting, then put the .125 in for hunting.
Indeed. I have been using peeps for the last few years and I have found them to be excellent for my hunting needs, mostly old eyes and vision issues. They flat work the best in low light conditions IF the aperture is large enough. If the aperture is too small, you are defeating the purpose. This is where some people get it wrong and claim that peeps are no good for hunting.

Pretty sure this one does not offer a larger aperture. And looking at it the design closer, I don't think I'll be able to drill out the aperture to the size I need. However, there are a couple of other options I had in mind that looks like it would work. I can remove the aperture and use the screw in hole as a larger aperture. Remove the back plate it connects to and it will be a ghost ring. I have done this before.

I hope to find out more today.

Last edited:
Back