• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northwest Passage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a book for Christmas.. Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts....
Haven't started reading it yet, but it seems to be a story about Major Rogers and Roger's Randers and takes place around the F&I war era....the book was written in 1937...

Hope it's a good read......

GangGreen said:
It's an American classic. Enjoy it.

Absolutely! Roberts' books are great historical novels. Much of the historical research in them is better than in some other histories. After you read Northwest Passage, enjoy Arundel and then the best of all, Rabble in Arms.

Don't forget Oliver Wiswell, after you read Rabble in Arms. It's written from the perspective of a Loyalist, and what I found fascinating was after I read NWP, Arundel, And Rabble in Arms, the author, Roberts, could completely write a book that made the reader cheer for the characters who were pro-British... published first in 1940 as war loomed for the United States.

LD

Kenneth Roberts was a great talent....I have enjoyed many of his books...and all that you mentioned. His character development is fantastic. I like how the books are at least somewhat tied together. Sorry LD...while I enjoyed reading Oliver Wiswell...I have to admit that I found myself rooting against him...and felt almost a sense of justice served in the end as he had to leave for Canada.
As far as Northwest Passage...it is one of my all time favorites.

It's just a slender link, but Rogers recruited his Rangers by powers invested in him by General John Winslow. John Winslow was the great grandson of Edward Winslow one of the Pilgrim Fathers who was born not much more than five miles from my front door.
Rogers died in virtual obscurity a penniless drunkard in Southwark London where he is buried, I mean one day to visit and find his grave.
The bush craft and survival expert, Ray Mears who presents a series of TV programs did a program devoted to Rogers and his life story, a short section of which was filmed as Ray stood at Rogers grave side.
I've never read the book Northwest Passage, but I have seen the film several times, and I look forward to seeing it again.

Back