• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-whitney blankets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minuteman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So where can a fella find a wool blanket that'll pass muster pc wise that doesn't cost over 100$?
I'd be interested in wool or mostly wool blankets that might not pass muster as well. As long as they were the right color and didn't say "product of romania" or something on them.
I can't imagine paying 140$ for an item I was gonna throw on the ground near a fire on a regular basis.
Thanks.

The british marino wool blanket is as good as the whitney and costs, i believe, less than fifty. I bought mine years ago and paid 20 something apiece.
many people are getting the itallian blankets, but I can't vouch for their accuracy.
Northwest traders sells budget blankets that just might be up your alley click here
If you search this site you'll find a similar thread with links to mil surp blankets.

I bought 2 British surplus white wool hospital blankets from Major Surplus and Survival. They advertise them as 100% Virgin wool but one of the ones I got is marked "BLANKET WOOL/NYLON SINGLE NATURAL" on the official British Military tag sewn to the blanket. That one is dated 1994. The one I have dated 1986 doesn't say that. But for $9.95 a piece, you can't go wrong no matter what.[url] http://www.majorsurplusnsurvi...OD&Product_Code=080358&Category_Code=210[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
About 5 years ago, I took a group of Cadets to the big fly-in at Oshkosh. On the way back we saw a sign that advertized the Amana Colonies in Iowa, so we diverted and toured Amana. One of their famous features that I did not know about is their woolen mills.

The Amana Colonies claims that they were a major supplier of blankets to both the Union and Confederates during the Great War of Northern Agression.

I bought several blankets for my use, they are very good heavy blankets, and you can have any of four combinations of colors. Grey with a black stripe is what I got. They are advertized yet on the Amana woolen mills website as the Civil War Blanket-4 color combinations at about $60.

All wool--made in the USA. I like mine.

Bill[url] http://www.amanawoolenmill.com[/url]
I went to the catalog, then to wool blankets, and civil war blankets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please correct me if I'm wrong as I could be but, weren't the old original 18th century blankets made in two halves with a seem up the middle, because of the size of the looms used back then?
Jeff :hmm:

Yes that was common and today you have to go to custom loomers like Wilde, Rob Stone and others to get these "half blankets"--which by the way make excellent matchcoats.

So, the Hudson Bay and Whitney blankets aren't PC because they lack the center seam?

CWC said:
So, the Hudson Bay and Whitney blankets aren't PC because they lack the center seam?

No, they're just fine, there were wider looms available, and remember, these blankets were made in a mill town.

I thought the military surplus coming from Italy was not too far off, they are shades of brown with a tan stripe.

Doesn't scream army, and is 100% wool.

Just an opinion...

Legion

I guess I have a knack for finding blankets. Sometimes I'll find one or more at a garage sale, but more frequently I find them at thrift shops like Goodwill and Salvation Army. Goodwill has an on-line auction site and a search for blankets there almost always yields results.

Have you tried going to ebay? I have bought a couple from there for under $60. Just type in wool blanket hudson bay.

Sadly Russionblood, I found the same thing. that's why I added the "Marino wool" part as I don't think the newer Brit surp makes that claim. likewise, I doubt that the Marino wool varients are as inexpensive as they once were.

I've had great luck looking in "junk" shops. You know those antique shops that aren't exactly classy? Anyway, i've found some great wool blankets for less than 5. The last one i got was a red wool blanket with single black bars on each end. I got for 2 dollars. I think I just get lucky on wool finds. I picked up a Whitney capote at Fort Concho last year for 55 dollars. Hell of a deal!!

I just bought 2 early trapper blankets off e-bay for around 40$ apiece ,they are one of the companys that made HBC blankets.They are 100% wool .

Thanks for all the responses folks. :grin:
I went ahead and bought four of the hospital blanlets from Major surplus and survival and they are a GREAT deal for 10$ each. They are off white ,kinda cream colored, with 2 small blue stripes running the length.They are all wool near as I can tell. One had a tag from '58 that said 100% wool. They are in very good shape and all appear to be (feel like)100% wool.
I was thinking about dyeing them . Any thoughts on appropriate colors?1830-ish :confused:

Congrats on a great deal! :thumbsup:
I think the blankets you orderd are Czeck Surp, but I don't believe I've ever seen 'em that cheap, I could've picked 'em up at my local Army Navy for $17.00 when they were in stock.
The color, as is, is fine BTW.

I have one of them blankets, real nice. A word of caution, if you have a Chocolate Labrador Retriever don't let him lay on it. A lab is always shedding and you will never get the dog hair off from it.
:redface: Trust me,
Jeff

Minuteman said:
Thanks for all the responses folks. :grin:
I went ahead and bought four of the hospital blanlets from Major surplus and survival and they are a GREAT deal for 10$ each. They are off white ,kinda cream colored, with 2 small blue stripes running the length.They are all wool near as I can tell. One had a tag from '58 that said 100% wool. They are in very good shape and all appear to be (feel like)100% wool.
I was thinking about dyeing them . Any thoughts on appropriate colors?1830-ish :confused:

I dyed one of my white blankets blue and left the other one "as is". It takes A LOT of Rit to dye a blanket. I used the equivalent of 4 navy blue packets and mine came out blue-gray.

Latest posts

Back