• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No spark...help!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you tempered the frizzen after hardening it.

As was mentioned, the Siler locks use a thru hardening steel and without tempering it will be brittle after hardening.

Heat up your wifes oven to about 400-440 degrees F and bake your frizzen for an hour. Then remove it and allow it to air cool.

This will produce a hardness of around HRC 58-62 which is still very hard but tough.

If the frizzen was not hardened up into the upper HRC 60's because of the quench, the tempering temperature I gave will still not soften it below the hardness I mentioned above which should give good hardness and good toughness.

Now that your frizzen is sparking nicely, the last thing you want is for the vertical frizzen to snap off of the pan cover when the flint hits it.

I suppose that a lock piece could get buy that wasn't working right. Have 2 siler locked rifles now 1 each a large and a small. These guns cured me of the flintlock blues. To have a lock that worked saved me from going back to cap locks.

Kennyc said:
I suppose that a lock piece could get buy that wasn't working right. Have 2 siler locked rifles now 1 each a large and a small. These guns cured me of the flintlock blues. To have a lock that worked saved me from going back to cap locks.

Oh yeah. I never meant to imply that chambers was selling bad locks. I just happened to get the one in a million that something went awry with.

Even Ferrari has one blow up now and then. Doesn't make them any less amazing.

Latest posts

Back