• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No more New..OLD ARMY'S

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold my first Old Army about 12 years ago in a moment of weakness and regretted it.

When I heard they were going to discontinue them I managed to snag a NIB OA (7 1/2" SS)for a very reasonable price.

It turned the majority of my pistols into safe queens. :thumbsup:

Read the history. I know you consider your self the last word in C&B hand guns. That said, I never stated he did it right after the funeral. It was his son who laid ROA to rest. :(

No matter who did it or why; it's still a darn shame that the last American made B/p pistol is going into history even though the company continues. :(

As much as most C&B shooters like the ROA, Ruger discontinued the revolver as a sound business practice. They sell ten times as many Vaqueros and Blackhawks. You stay in business by making what sells.

Just our of curiosity, how durable are modern Remington New Army Model frames?

Strong enough for Government work. :grin:

I'm not sure why one would wonder about the strength of a Remingtons frame but there must be a reason. :hmm:

If the reason is because one is wondering about overloads or heavy projectiles I would say the frame of reproduction Remingtons is fine as long as it is made out of steel.

The thing I would be more concerned with is the material strength of the cylinder.
If it is made from a low carbon steel, its strength is limited (and the chamber walls are thin).

Without knowing what Ruger uses for their cylinders I'm just guessing but I would suspect that it is probably a fairly high strength alloy that can take a far more abusive load than anything a Italian reproduction can handle.

That's what I was thinking as well.

One advantage of the Ruger Old Army, as pointed out many times in this thread, is that the gun is built like a modern centerfire magnum revolver. Therefore, any amount of blackpowder you fit in the cylinder isn't going to pose a problem.

The Remington New Army is probably the next best thing for shooting high power loads out of a blackpowder revolver. Still, I wouldn't think it can come close to what an ROA can do.

Can someone who owns both an ROA and a Remington post a picture of the cylinders to show the wall widths?

I tried to present both cylinders at the same scale:

Pietta Remington:

p1060009a60.jpg

Ruger Old Army:

p1100001a67.jpg

p1100002a68.jpg

I've got a few thousand full house loads though my 1861 Navy reproduction and it still shoots like a laser.

I've never liked the Ruger Old Army... :idunno:

Different strokes, :idunno:

Ruger firearms is a business and they have to make a profit to stay in business. That is a fact. :v
Maybe, Now that Colt has lost their Mil contract for M4's they will start to build a REAL American Made Cap and ball again.. :hmm:
Oh well I can always dream :)
Mean while I will keep my eye out for a good deal on another ROA.
It's a great excuse to go to all the gun-stores.

Colt Defense and Colt Manufacturing Company are two different entities.

I agree, Colt Manufacturing Company needs to return to their roots.

IMG_0013.jpg

I have the ROA and the 58 Rem. I also have the Euroarms Rogers & Spencer Target. The ROA uses the R&S rammer system up dated but the same type. The ROA uses the .457 ball or 220 Gr. .456 Lee bullet as does the R&S. The rammer barrel latch cup type was also taken from the R&S. The R&S will take loads of over 40 grs. of black powder. The R&S will come closer to the ROA than the 58 Rem. The R&S is less money on the used market than the ROA. It does however go for more bucks than a used Remington. The R&S target is the next thing to the ROA.

Yes a R&S will be less costly than a ROA- and more expensive than a Remy. but the problem is that they are rarer than a Old Army. I have seen 1 R&S at gun shows in the last 10 years (I bought it). Paid a whopping 125 for it. I see Old Armys all the time and Remys too. You would be better off ordering a new one than trying to find a used one. cost in Dixie's latest catalog is $425, and 350 for a kit( same price as a Old Army). And the R&S was not a issued revolver during the civil war but 800 did end up in private hands , so 1 or 2 may have been private purchase.

The R&S target and the standard grades show up often at gun shows etc. in the Northern Rockies.
The ROAs are about every where but they are going up in price every day. There were I believe 9 variations of the ROA, gun collectors are looking for all the rare variants. The ROA for shooters will soon be priced too high for shooting. The ROA as a shooter is the best by far. I like it loaded with the Lee 220 . Gr..456 bullet and 35 grs of triple 7 and a number 10 Remington improved cap. This makes a very powerful load. The Remington #10 fits my #11 and #10 nipples. I have had problems with CCI #11 on ROA #11 nipples.

As for use in the Civil War, I don't know. I know there were no brass frame Remingtons but you see them all the time. The USMC used the Rogers & Spencer as late as the Moro Wars. They were used right along with the modern meachine gun. As you know many of them went west with civilians after the Civil War.

I think my pair of Colt 1851's will suffice my blackpowder shooting needs for the time being. If I do find an idiot selling off an ROA for cheap, I'm definitely going for it.

Hey Eagle Scout, how ya doin??

All of this chatter about powerful Ruger Old Army's got me to thinking about putting 3 out of 5 shots (strong-hand only) into a set of Scott air tanks welded together, at a range of 135 yards with my out-of-the-box Uberti Walker Colt using 52 grains of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad, and a .454 Hornady ball!

I've passed on several Rugers, and will continue to do so. It's just that I like overcoming the obstacles of non-adjustable hammer sights, and I love the big roar of the rifle charge going off :haha: .

If you ever get a chance to make a Walker roar, you'll be hooked on one for sure!

Dave

I have got to handle a LeMat but not fire. I have yet to lay hands on a Walker, but I have my share of shooting high powered centerfire revolvers.

IMG_0056.jpg

The Walker is lots of fun. I like shooting mine also. The ROA is a much better gun to carry in the field. The ROA does not bind up or get the stiff cylinder after 18 rounds like the Walker. :thumbsup:

The Walker is the Model 29 of the Black Powder world :haha: , just add testosterone! :rotf:

Bill Ruger made a great gun, no doubt about it!

Back