• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No more New..OLD ARMY'S

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just found out that Ruger discontinued the OLD Army cap and Ball.
That just makes me Mad :cursing:
The only US made cap and ball pistol is no more :shake:
Have one and it is the best built cap and ball I have ever used.. Yea it's more money, but twice the pistol as any import. IMHO.
Just bought me another one from Gunbroker.
Heck, now that they are no longer made.. they are going to be "collectible" :idunno:

oldarmy said:
Heck, now that they are no longer made.. they are going to be "collectible" :idunno:

Sure, anybody can collect an item they think is "collectible"...

but it doesn't mean they will go up in value. :wink:

oldarmy said:
I just found out that Ruger discontinued the OLD Army cap and Ball.
That just makes me Mad :cursing:
The only US made cap and ball pistol is no more :shake:
Have one and it is the best built cap and ball I have ever used.. Yea it's more money, but twice the pistol as any import. IMHO.
Just bought me another one from Gunbroker.

They stopped and started production of this gun more than once I think you'll find, same way with the Bisley. Let a few years go by and build up a demand for them. Course Bill is no longer there and they are under a newer management, so who knows what they will do this time.

Production stopped in 07 I think. Ruger made up several from parts and Davis distributed them last year(09) You can find them NIB on Gunbroker. $$$

David Teague said:
oldarmy said:

I was being sarcastic.. like the "beanie baby" craze a few years ago :rotf:
Got out-bid on the second one. It was TOO much too pay for used one anyway. :grin:

I still bump into them at gun shows for a good price. Last one I saw was in near mint condition for $250, but I couldn't for the life of me come up with the money. I had already spent more than I should have. I'm supposed to be there making money, not spending it, anyway.

oldarmy said:
David Teague said:
oldarmy said:

I was being sarcastic.. like the "beanie baby" craze a few years ago :rotf:
Got out-bid on the second one. It was TOO much too pay for used one anyway. :grin:

Dual sarcasm. :thumbsup:

You forgot Pokémon cards... :haha:

Here in Michigan they are selling for: 400 blued ones and 500 for the S.S. ones(at gun shows). They are a common sight. I think I counted 4 In Grandrapids weekend before last, and 2 In Kalamazoo this past weekend. I don't own one but when I find one that speaks to me I probably will. :rotf:

I broke down and bought one in stainless about 4 years ago for much less than the blued sell for now, but as far as availability, it seems that there is a steady supply of NIB going at auction sites. I wouldn't sell mine for 3 times what I paid, it's a great shooter and just plain fun to hunt small game with.

I had one many years back and they are good guns, "Ruger tough" and all that, but they aren't a replica of any original gun and they weigh more than a Super Blackhawk so I got to thinking "why not just load up some .44 mags with blackpowder?" That would be lighter and quicker to reload and no less authentic. :haha:

They do seem to be increasing in price asked, but as has been mentioned, there are lots around.
As far as I'm concerned, they are the best. Are they HC, no, but neither are any of my long-guns.

pity to hear that... i have the 'standard' (7 1/2inch) barrel, and i've always wanted one in the shorter version, but never got the $$$ together.

I bought one at a gun show in Fla. several years ago , never been shot but was a gun that got handeled much at gun shop as a demo. :grin: $250.00 . I doubt that you'll ever see as good a revolver on the black powder market again :shake: I swapped it off for a Hawkens style flintlock and a 1860 repro . .44 revolver :grin:
It was a great shooter but unless you compete a lot , don't need anything that good . :hmm: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

CoyoteJoe said:
I had one many years back and they are good guns, "Ruger tough" and all that, but they aren't a replica of any original gun and they weigh more than a Super Blackhawk so I got to thinking "why not just load up some .44 mags with blackpowder?" That would be lighter and quicker to reload and no less authentic. :haha:

Paperwork. I'm a MD resident and under 21, so that's an issue.

They have become very much a collectors gun. In my travels over the past year I have seen the price go way up. I went to 4 gun shows in Arizona last month. The price for blue guns of the 9 variants are going for $500 to $600 with the Yellow Boxs and papers and wrench. The SS models in Yellow Boxs 95% or better $650 to $750. I saw an orginal Red & Black box with papers and nipple wrench {No Gun just box} sell for $150. I bought a new uufired SS in Yellow box with papers for $440 form a guy needing cash. In this area that was a real steal. Bill Ruger Sr. said it was the beat handgun his company ever made. His son dropped the line after his fathers death. The can be fitted with the Karst 5 shot Conv. in .45 Colt and shoot about any load. The lee 220 bullet mold makes a very good load with 35 grs. of #777 and number 10 Rem. cap on the Ruger #11 nipple. They are not a copy of anything but they are a great hand gun with ball or Crtgs. :)

I own just three cap and ball pistols now.
a .36 navy- a .44 walker- both Italian made, and my Old Army.
The old army is a much better pistol then the other two.
More accurate, more reliable. You can put as much powder in the thing as you want, or possibly can.
Not that I do. The Italian's sit in the safe, the Ruger gets the workout. :hmm:
I knew that Bill Ruger loved the weapon.
Maybe it's fitting, that with his passing so does his favorite pistol.

Bill Ruger passed in July of 2002.

The Old Army was discontinued in April of 2007 at the direction of Ruger manufacturing management (with the concurrence of the Board of Directors) because the production assets being used by the Old Army produced a better return when used to build other single action revolvers (probably the NM Vaquero).

The Old Army was not discontinued by Bill's son following his death.

Back