• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

no more cotton flannel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Wal-Mart yesterday to stock up on some cottn baby blanket flannel. I use this for cleaning patches. I cut my own with a large pair of antique tailors sissors. But, to my surprise, there isn't a piece of cotton flannel in the store. It is all imported polyester now. :( I still have a supply of patches but need to restock. I did try the local Goodwill store for used blankets but their prices were about double that for a new blanket. :confused: I'll have to shop around for a different fabric store out of town and when I find one I'll buy a much larger quantity than my usual two yards.

I cut my cleaning patches with scissors for years then bought a wheel fabric cutter and cutting board. I can cut 500+ patches with the wheel in a fraction of the time it took to use scissors.

The last time I bought some cotton flannel, I think I got it at Jo-Ann's Fabrics. It is a chain store and there ought to be one in your area. They usually keep a supply of all fabrics on hand all year but it may be possible that they don't restock winter fabrics in the spring. Of course, the heavier blanket grade of flannel is most likely either a pure synthetic or a cotton/synthetic blend. I have a piece that I bought at Jo-Ann's to use for general wiping of the exterior of my gun and I think it is a blend because it does not absorb as well as cotton. It still works for my purposes. I would not use it for swabbing the bored because of the thickness. I think that a better choice is regular weight flannel. I think it is sometimes referred to as diaper flannel.

We have 2 fabric stores in town, a Jo-Ann Fabrics and a Hancock Fabrics. They are pretty wide spread so there may be one in your area. They both always have 100% cotton flannel. I look for sales on the stuff, which are pretty frequent. Also, they have further discount days once or twice a month for "seniors". We both qualify. :grin:

Jeff

There was a yard sale at the Sr center next to my office and there was a bunch of sewing stuff and material scraps. I got a piece of natural linen 48 inches x 2 yards for $1.00. also a roll of cotton flannel, from when they but the edge off the finished material at the sewing factories here. Must be 50 yds x 2 inches wide. Got a similar roll of muslin for 25 cents. (stuff is great for tying up tomato plants in the garden too).

I just go to my local St.Vincent dePaul store and buy used flannel bed sheets. you can get them for a couple of bucks. I`ve probably have a life time of cleaning patches by now.

You lucky duck!!!! :applause: I figure that the roll of flannel should give you about 3,600 1 inch X 1 inch patches. The linen out to give you about 3,456 patches for your round balls. That ought to last you a few weeks. :haha:

Our town doesn't have either of those. My wife suggested I check with quilt shops. Went to one and found what I need. But, the price was $8.99 :shocked2: a yard for the same kind of flannel I used to buy at Wal-Mart for $2.99. Didn't buy any. When I got home, wife had an old flannel sheet for me she found in the closet. I'll cut up, should last a couple months. In the meantime I might get to a bigger town where I can buy several yards of flannel to last a while. BTW, I did find on Ebay at good prices. Of course, shipping has to be added but it is a source when all else fails.

That 2.99 price is a thing of the not so far away past.

I picked up Super flannel at our local Wally last fall and it was 5.99 then.

All cotton fabric has see huge price increases in just the last few years.
Cotton is still a cash crop and has simply followed the way of all our Agg products, :idunno:

You can always get one of those net bags used for laundering "delicates" and use it to wash your patches with your regular laundry for reuse.

If someone just has to have some flannel they can always go to a used stuff store like the Salvation Army and find a few donated shirts or PJ's.

Being lazy I buy the precut patches in the 1000 bags. I found the 45 to 60 2 1/4 inch square for $15 a bag of 1000. I have actually thought about the idea above here of washing them. Hang the net bag and wash when filled. I wonder how the washer would smell after. Geo. T.

Washing used cleaning patches sounds dangerous to me.

"YOU DID WHAT ?"

"YOU WASHED YOUR DIRTY STINKEN PATCHES FROM THAT FILTHY GUN OF YOURS IN MY CLEAN WASHING MACHINE?
"

"WELL I CAN TELL YOU THIS MISTER!
IT'LL A COLD DAY IN YUMA BEFORE ANYTHING YOU OWN EVER SEES THE INSIDE OF MY WASHING MACHINE FROM NOW ON!!!

Went by the local goodwill store on the way home yesterday. The only flannel sheets were hand made baby sheets with border frills and too cute to slice up. :idunno:

Haven't been to Wally's to look lately, so can't verify availability . . . But, maybe check out the "ladies sleepwear" section and look for cotton flannel nightgowns. If they have them, get the largest size they have. If someone woould foolishly ask why so big, just tell them you are getting one for their mother :grin: .

I have been saving discarded flannel nightgowns from my wife for years. PM me with name and address and I can send you some of my "extra" remnants if your search still turns up nothing . . . assuming I can remember where I stored them.

Back