• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples: To Remove Or Not Remove

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That ramrod thimble should be an easy fix. If you can precisely put it back in place and secure with a small clamp a little heat will fuse the solder or braze and reattach.
The stock cracks look like from the wood drying out and are not in critical areas, but the large caliber will generate some recoil. Good luck whatever you decide.

That ramrod thimble should be an easy fix. If you can precisely put it back in place and secure with a small clamp a little heat will fuse the solder or braze and reattach.
The stock cracks look like from the wood drying out and are not in critical areas, but the large caliber will generate some recoil. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks, Thagomizer. Yeah… I was thinking about using some silver solder to reattach but I’ll try the method you’ve suggested first.

I’ve got another couple cracks in the lock area (one by the breech and another by the lock screw hole), but I have no idea how deep they go. I’ve had had reasonable success in inserting Titebond Ultimate glue using a syringe to repair such cracks in the past.

Nice quality original from a good seller !
I've been collecting & shooting mostly original firearms for a few decades & for safety reasons the nipples should always be replaced as often the vent has opened significantly due to corrosion.
I've seen several original percussion firearms that were fired with oversized vents where excessive blowby caused the hammer to be blown rearward with enough force to sever it from the tumbler.
STUCK NIPPLE & SCREW SOLUTION;
Soaking breech end of the barrel overnight in a 50/50 solution of acetone & auto transmission fluid or brake fluid should free-up the stuck threads.
For stuck lock screws, soak the entire lock overnight. For stuck screws elsewhere place a drop on head of the screw & allow to penetrate.
Once you determine the thread size that will determine if a modern replacement is available, if not will just need to drill & tap to fit.
I personally prefer using quality Treso nipples as replacements, this company makes a wide variety of nipple sizes to fit most commercially built original & replica firearms.
Enjoy shooting your historical pistol !
Relic shooter

Thanks for the acetone/transmission fluid as a penetrant tip! I remember reading about that somewhere years ago, but it was lost in the annals of my mind.

Praise the Lord I was able to get that nipple out! There’s no way I would’ve been able to do it with PB Blaster. It took all my strength as it was.

The nipple is totally clogged with corrosion and even a size 11 cap is too big to seat.

Take heart, my friend. All is not lost!

Hairline cracks won’t necessarily prevent you from shooting if they really are hairlines and not deep structural defects, especially with the light loads you wisely intend to use.

The thimble appears to have been soldered on. Depending on how the rib is attached to the barrel, reattaching the thimble might be a simple soldering job, or it might be complicated. If the rib is screwed or riveted or (less likely) brazed to the barrel, you can clean off the contact points, flux well, and solder the thimble back on with low-temperature, high-strength silver solder. If the rib was soldered to the barrel, it might get more complicated, as resoldering the thimble may melt the solder bond between the rib and barrel. That might be a job for a professional. If you need help, there are very capable people here on the forum who have the skills, if you can talk them into doing it.

The nipple should be pulled. I have had good success soaking the breeches in straight kerosene for a few days. If the nipple won’t turn after that, try heating the bolster with a propane torch. Not too hot… there’s no need to heat anything to the point that it changes color. Just too hot to touch. If the nipple still won’t turn, let it cool, then reheat and try again. The heating/cooling seems to help with breaking the bond.

I have heard of the barrels of some percussion revolvers screwing into the frame with a left-hand thread, but I’m not aware of any nipples with left-hand threads.

The best way I know to check male threads is with a Ruelle Screw Checker. These are available in fractional or metric sizes. I know that Brownells, Lee Valley Tools, and Victor Machine Tools all sell these. I use mine frequently, and recommend them. Once you determine your nipple’s thread size, you can look for a replacement, although if the original nipple is still usable (or fixable), and it isn’t too loose in its seat after you have cleaned it, there is no reason not to use it. I would put a dab of anti-seize grease on it before putting it back. I would be very wary of trying to chase the female threads in the gun’s bolster with a tap. It you don’t get the tap started exactly right, you can booger the threads.

If you hit a wall with regard to the ramrod pipe, the nipple, and so forth, I would recommend contacting Mr. Robert Hoyt. He is best known on this forum for lining and reboring barrels, but he is a very skilled machinist and gunsmith and can help with all sorts of barrel issues, including soldering.

That is a really nice pistol, and I remember seeing it for sale. I even considered buying it. I’m glad it went to someone who appreciates it, and intends to shoot it! I understand that you found some issues with it, but from what I have read, things look fixable.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Idahomie we have no idea if your an experienced firearms collector-shooter or not.

The nice rare original pistol you bought from bornintheussr was a bargain & is far higher quality compared to any commercially
produced off the shelf replica muzzleloader.
I was very tempted to buy it myself as the photos showed the wood & metal to be in nice condition & would
require minimal restoration to be be a shooter.

Having a few decades in buying & shooting original firearms, it's not uncommon to find minor age cracks during disassembly.
Usually these tiny cracks have no impact on shooting safety & can easily be repaired by injecting the cracks with liquid epoxy.
If the crack can be closed by compressing, firmly wrap the area with surgical tubing until fully cured.

Over the years I've bought numerous custom ML rifle & pistol components at much higher cost & most have had flaws in the wood or metal components that needed to be dealt with during the build.

If your attending the Nampa/Boise gun show this weekend bring your pistol along I would like to see it.
I'm an easy to spot old guy needing a full restoration wearing a Trump hat, suspenders & a cane 🤣
Relic shooter

Thanks for your optimism, gentlemen.

I come from a background of collecting and shooting WWII-era firearms; however, this is my first 19th-century piece. I’m still relatively new to muzzleloading, but I’ve jumped in with both feet. I’m currently making my own caps, black powder, and have acquired a decent collection of flintlock/percussion pistols and rifles alike.

Please don’t misunderstand me here; I’m not trying to browbeat the seller. I simply feel that the pistol should’ve been scoured for cracks and those issues either clearly depicted in the listing’s photographs or mentioned in the description. These cracks were glaringly obvious to me the moment I took it out of the box, and don’t quite align with the assertion made in the listing that it’s in “excellent collector’s grade” condition. Or am I being totally unreasonable here? Don’t get me wrong… it’s still a fantastic piece, and I consider myself fortunate to own it, but I simply don’t feel as though it was quite as described.

I was able to remove the nipple after soaking the breech in acetone/ATF (with some effort), so that’s a start.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I received the pistol today, and it’s everything I hoped for in many ways— far more beautiful than pictures can convey. I was, however, disappointed to discover a few hairline cracks in the stock. What’s more -as I was turning the pistol in my hands and admiring its beauty- the ramrod thimble fell off! It's disheartening when an eagerly anticipated item falls short of expectations, you know? Believe me when I say that I handled it with all the tender loving care as a museum curator would.

P.S. For those that are curious, I mic’d the barrel and discovered it to be a .58 caliber (.575, to be exact).
Looks like a nice pistol. Take your time before making the repairs to what look like ‘cosmetic’ cracks in the stock do to the guns ‘born on’ date. Talk to some people who have actually restored old guns about materials and techniques.

Others will chime in, but I’ve been having good success with a low temperature solder called Solder-It. I find it quite strong and with the low melt temperature the job is done before there is any collateral damage from excessive heat.
https://www.amazon.com/Solder-SILVE...fb914ae5905637168e6f103943e93857&gad_source=1

It was shipped I assume. Damaged enroute? Anyway, I have bought from Born in and my item was better than described. It was a replica. If it was a 200 year old replica I would have expected some "xtra" wear. Fix it and shoot it. BTW did you contact the seller before these posts?

Looks like a nice pistol. Take your time before making the repairs to what look like ‘cosmetic’ cracks in the stock do to the guns ‘born on’ date. Talk to some people who have actually restored old guns about materials and techniques.

Others will chime in, but I’ve been having good success with a low temperature solder called Solder-It. I find it quite strong and with the low melt temperature the job is done before there is any collateral damage from excessive heat.
https://www.amazon.com/Solder-SILVE...fb914ae5905637168e6f103943e93857&gad_source=1

Good advice there; however, the crack above the barrel wedge extends into the barrel channel by at least an inch or so. I’d imagine that area sees a fair amount of stress, so it’s got me mildly concerned. The cracks in the lock area are the most unsettling, but they too can likely be repaired. My sister-in-law is a nurse and keeps me in a steady supply of medical syringes. I’ve had good luck inserting Titebond glue via these syringes into cracks in the past, making them virtually imperceptible. The jury’s still out on the long term durability of the repair.

The question now is whether I want to take the risk of a catastrophic failure and damage to the pistol by firing it (my intended purpose from the get go) or if I want to pass it along to another individual as a collector’s piece.

The best way I know to check male threads is with a Ruelle Screw Checker. These are available in fractional or metric sizes. I know that Brownells, Lee Valley Tools, and Victor Machine Tools all sell these. I use mine frequently, and recommend them. Once you determine your nipple’s thread size, you can look for a replacement, although if the original nipple is still usable (or fixable), and it isn’t too loose in its seat after you have cleaned it, there is no reason not to use it. I would put a dab of anti-seize grease on it before putting it back. I would be very wary of trying to chase the female threads in the gun’s bolster with a tap. It you don’t get the tap started exactly right, you can booger the threads.
A Ruelle Screw Checker is great for identifying modern standard screws, but I would not trust it for accurately identifying screws on an antique gun. For a nipple you want to be sure of thread form and pitch diameter, not just that it fits in a threaded hole.

It was shipped I assume. Damaged enroute? Anyway, I have bought from Born in and my item was better than described. It was a replica. If it was a 200 year old replica I would have expected some "xtra" wear. Fix it and shoot it. BTW did you contact the seller before these posts?

I certainly don’t think that was the case. There was no damage to the box to indicate such. While I’m glad to hear that the item you purchased exceeded your expectations, that was not my experience.

We’re not talking about a little “extra wear” here— we’re talking about four very distinct cracks. Had they been disclosed in the listing, it would have been a non-issue. As someone who has sold a number of firearms and high-end guitars online, I go over them with a fine-tooth comb to ensure that the buyer isn’t getting any surprises. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for, do you?

Where in the NRA grading classifications for antique firearms of “excellent condition” does it allow for cracks?

I did notify the seller of the issues prior to referencing them here.

I’ve had good luck inserting Titebond glue via these syringes into cracks in the past, making them virtually imperceptible.
An advantage of epoxy’s like Acraglas is that they will bond to themselves after curing, while Titebond and similar will not, making a future repair very difficult if your original repair ever fails. Remember, any repairs you make are not just to get through the next couple of hunting seasons. This is a 200 year old piece and you want any repairs to last and not create extra challenges for heirs or whoever the next owner is.

Take your time and research the best methods.

What was his response when you contacted him before posting? If it were me I would have given your money back. (If offered the chance)

Apparently it was a consignment item, so he was unable to issue me a full refund. I was initially offered 25% off my next purchase. After balking at that, I was given the choice of either a $100 refund or a “free” Jukar percussion pistol. I took the latter.

If also would wanna know about the return. No idea it was a consignment. That's weird? Guy could post himself n save commission. Will I still say fix n shoot it!!

While I don't believe it is necessary to remove the nipple for every cleaning, I feel it is important to be able to remove it.

I would want to remove it, and then when I put it back in I would apply anti-seize to the threads.

To remove, soak liberally with Kroil or similar break-free penetrating oil. If this does not work, gentle heating with a micro torch can help loosen things up.

I don't recall the post offering it as it's not my cup of tea I wonder if he took it apart?

The listing depicted the barrel out of the stock, but I believe that was the furthest its disassembly went. The lock was incredibly tight in its mortise, and the internals were quite gummed up, so I don’t think it’s been out of there in quite some time.

I don’t really expect a seller to fully disassemble an antique firearm for inspection prior to its sale due to the obvious and inherent risks involved in doing so, but the outward cracks and epoxied thimble should have been disclosed in my opinion, antique firearm or not. That’s just good business. 🤷‍♂️

Back