• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple charger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Were I to dry load, is there a flask-like device that can trickle a small amount of powder into the breech by way of the threaded hole into which the nipple is screwed, nipple having been removed?

I use the pan charger intended for flintlocks. The model I have has a tiny spout and drops 3 grains of 4f. Handy to have in a range box, but I never carry it in the field, even if it is small.

on a percussion all you do is remove the nipple, dribble in powder, smack it on the side to shift it over, add more if theres room, reinstall nipple, cap and fire it off. You can use the pan charger for a flintlock if you really need it. Some times it takes me around 15 grains to fill my drum, so that little pan charger isnt of much use to me.

FML said:
You can use the pan charger for a flintlock if you really need it. Some times it takes me around 15 grains to fill my drum, so that little pan charger isnt of much use to me.

Actually it's perfect with its spring loaded plunger. Especially with 4f, it just takes 2 or three presses (6 to 9 grains) to get the right amount, right where you need it with no spilling. Slick, quick and easy.

Do a search for: TRESCO, Nipple Charger, 4F Dispenser, 11-06-40, it fits over the nipple on a rifle or pistol.

Looking at the nipple charge and then at the tiny hole at the bottom of a nipple, I don't think you could get enough powder through that to take care of a dry ball. Seems to me the pan charger could do double duty and fill your pan and fill the fire channel when the nipple is removed on a dry ball as previously suggested.

garra said:
Seems to me the pan charger could do double duty and fill your pan and fill the fire channel when the nipple is removed on a dry ball as previously suggested.

That's the way it works for me. Funny thing. I abandoned it as a pan charger for my flintlocks, preferring to use my horn in the field. So it lives in my range box against the day I have to pop a nipple and add powder. In the field (hasn't happened yet) if I dry ball with a capper I plan to slosh powder from the horn for that too. But don't leave home without a nipple wrench!

Naphtali said:
is there a flask-like device that can trickle a small amount of powder
Sure, it's called a powder horn. The small amount of powder needed isn't really the trickling device,, it's the "trickler" or do we call him a trickelist?

In the field away from the range and all the niceties in a range box, that would be me.

If asked, my daughter would probably vote that I be called Tricklebrain though. :rotf:

When at the doctor's, and you get your ears inspected, ask for the little plastic funnel that they throw away when they're done. Just right for getting powder into the nipple hole.

Richard Eames said:
Do a search for: TRESCO, Nipple Charger, 4F Dispenser, 11-06-40, it fits over the nipple on a rifle or pistol.

That Tresco Nipple Charger was sold based on the myth that the tiny bit of powder placed in the nipple cone would improve ignition. I believe that most test have determined that it slows ignition. The best way to clear a dry ball is to remove the nipple, add powder from your horn, reinstall the nipple, make sure the ball is seated on the powder at the breech, cap and fire the ball out. 3 to 5 grains of powder will send a dry ball out the barrel.

That Tresco Nipple Charger was sold based on the myth that the tiny bit of powder placed in the nipple cone would improve ignition. I believe that most test have determined that it slows ignition.

The only times mine is used is when I get a failure to fire when I know I have not dry balled. TC patent breeches can mysteriously get crudded up at times. Especially in humid weather. Nine times out of ten it will make the rifle fire. The other time I will remove nipple, dribble in some 4Fg, replace nipple, charge it and fire. I won't question the possibility it will slow ignition on a good load. But, I have never used it in hopes of getting a 'better' ignition.

Back