• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nine shot repeating magazine flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A very scarce nine shot repeating magazine flintlock pistol on the Lorenzoni principle by H.W. Mortimer London, Gunmaker to his Majesty.
All parts are nice engraved. Triggergard in silver. Barrel reblued.
272678_max.jpg

272678_detail2_max.jpg

272678_detail3_max.jpg

272678_detail4_max.jpg

272678_detail5_max.jpg

272678_detail6_max.jpg

272678_detail7_max.jpg

272678_detail8_max.jpg

272678_detail9_max.jpg

:hatsoff:

mykeal said:
Wow. Beautiful piece. What's the date?
There was a Harvey Westlake Mortimer Senior and Junior.I think late 18th Century or very early 19th Century.
Mortimer H. W., Gun-maker to his Majesty, 89, Fleet-str.
H. W. Mortimer, Gun Maker to his Majesty is one of the best known English makers. Songs were sung about meeting a Mortimer (gun) was like meeting death, because of its accuracy. Mortimer was known for quality, accuracy, curved butts that circled toward the trigger and distinctive carving on the butt cap.

:hatsoff:

Now that would be something to have at the range(not the original of course). Someone needs to manufacture that one I like it.

now that is one nice pistol. not having it closer to inspect i am curious as i have never seen one just like this. what is the long silver lever or arm for? and where does the nine shot thing come from?

anyhow, that is really sweet looking

thanks for sharing,

duke21

duke21 said:
now that is one nice pistol. not having it closer to inspect i am curious as i have never seen one just like this. what is the long silver lever or arm for? and where does the nine shot thing come from?

It's been a long time since I've seen drawings of how the system worked. From what I remember, there's a powder reservoir in the grip, and you can see the ball reservoir in the side of the action. As you rotate the lever, a ball is chambered and a charge is measured underneath it before the breech closes. I don't remember how the auto priming part works. All in all, a fascinating piece of technology from the time.

wow that is unique, evidently used an un-patched ball dropped into a chamber that held powder then was rotated into alignment with the bore. held upside down powder fell into the pan for priming at the same motion. imagine the hours of fitting that took. :hmm:

Yeah, those are a real masterpiece of the gun making art. Imagine how flawlessly everything had to fit in order to keep the hot gasses under pressure from sneaking around the mechanism and getting into the powder reservoir. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I'd want to fire one! :haha:

Latest posts

Back