• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to flintlock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm involved in many living history events and educational programs, for me I'm a purist. Also a very avid hunter who grew up around black powder. Rain, snow, heat, humidity never had a problem as I take the necessary steps to avoid moisture issues, example a heavily greased lock cover in wet weather or High humidity days. Until it's time to fire it doesn't come off. Indeed it all comes down to, as mentioned the individual. If you are worried about HC, no priming powder or fancy trinkets to hold it in, just one horn! :hatsoff:

Crewdawg445 said:
I'm involved in many living history events and educational programs, for me I'm a purist. Also a very avid hunter who grew up around black powder. Rain, snow, heat, humidity never had a problem as I take the necessary steps to avoid moisture issues, example a heavily greased lock cover in wet weather or High humidity days. Until it's time to fire it doesn't come off. Indeed it all comes down to, as mentioned the individual. If you are worried about HC, no priming powder or fancy trinkets to hold it in, just one horn! :hatsoff:

Good post. :thumbsup:
I've been a reenactor for many years also. But, probably not quite the purist you, or others are. I have carried a priming horn always. I do use one of those brass spring primer thingys because that is what the original mountain men used. :wink:
As for hunting in wet weather, I always just carried my rifle with my bare right hand over the primed, half-cocked lock. Never had a misfire due to wet conditions doing. Besides, I enjoyed getting my hand chapped to a bloody mess. :shake:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Took my first turkey bird in the rain! While I'm certainly not a fan of wet weather hunting, some of my most memorable trips have been while raining. Never a problem if you just take the necessary steps to avoid the elements. Again, to each his own with 4F, it does obviously have it's place and is valued by each in their own way.

back in the '70s my favorite Uncle (flint guy, Dad was cap guy) taught me to carry a rainy day rifle/musket with the lock in my armpit, muzzle tipped downward.

I use 4f in small pans...out of habit

Back