• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New ramrod, install tip?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbhg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Cracked a ramrod recently and just bought 1 to replace it.
Do you have to put the brass tip on the new rod or can you use them w/o them?

The gun is a transitional jaeger from D.Pedersoli,
can you get away w/ the 1 or just shutup and put them both back on?
I also picked up a steel loading/cleaning rod for a majority of the duties, so the new rod should last longer.

If you are out in the woods with just the one ramrod and you need to pull something out of the barrel you will need some way of attaching to the ram rod. The brass ends with the threaded holes make it real easy.

So my advice is to just do it. Pin it with a 1/16" brazing rod cut to length and peened over on both ends along with the epoxy.

Many Klatch

If you don't want the brass to show on the end, then just install the accessory end (to attach jags and such) and have that be the part that goes down into the stock. That leaves the end by the barrel bare. You don't neccessarily need the brass end to push the ball down the barrel.

Many years ago in a backcountry camp I was sitting near the campfire, cleaning my rifle. I carelessly laid the ramrod down beside me. My clumsy partner stumbled up, stepped on it, and snapped it in half.
I had no choice but to make another on the spot. I found a green stick and whittled on it until it fit. I even cut a small hole in the other end of it so that I could thread a cleaning patch through it.
As the stick dried, it warped. However, it worked okay for the four days left of our hunt.
Back at home I made a new ramrod from a hickory dowel, and cross pinned the brass tip to it. I've been using that same ramrod for 10 years now.

One tip is fine and common on many rifles, a rammin' stick with no brass ends was common for poorboy rifles. I guess they never dry balled back then. Definitely pin that tip on though.

All of my rods, except the range rods, have tips pinned on both ends. One is 8X32 and the other is 10X32. That way if I have to borrow a jag or puller it won't matter what thread size my partner has.
Mark

Back