• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this 62 smoothbore from Access Heritage this week. I had to do some work on it before shooting it. I drilled the touchhole, refinished the wood, and then tuned and browned the lock. It shoots great and throws a nice spark.

IMG_1219.jpeg

Wonderful looking gun. I got my .62 cal. Royal Navy Sea Service pistol from them, too. I also had to do work on it, including drilling the touch hole, smoothing lock parts and refinishing the stock. The trigger pull force was horrible when I first got it. I've taken it shooting once once and it fired very high every time. Have you shot yours yet, and if so, does it shoot high?

I havent but then again I soldered on a front site that I made from some brass stock instead of using the top of the barrel for reference.

View attachment 317278
Ah! Haven't done that, but maybe I should. What powder load and ball are you using? I've been using .595 lead balls with lubed patches I got from Track of the Wolf, and 30 grains 2fg Swiss powder.

Nice looking pistol. I've always had a soft spot for these smooth bore flint pistols. They are much fun to shoot. The work you did makes the pistol look so much better. Seems a bit of TLC on these India made pistols goes a long way. I guessing the addition of the front sight helps a bunch. In original form, they will shoot high. Very high in my past experience. You would have to aim at the crotch to get a hit in the chest. LOL so to say. Around 35grs. of FF or 30grs. of FFF seems to be a typical good load for these pistols. To me, they are 15-yard or less side arms. But that was probably all they were made for. They are indeed fun to shoot. Speaking of French pistols, here is a 1690's and 1766 French pistols for comparison:

Rick
DSC00029 (Medium).JPG
DSC00671 (Medium).JPG

Nice looking pistol. I've always had a soft spot for these smooth bore flint pistols. They are much fun to shoot. The work you did makes the pistol look so much better. Seems a bit of TLC on these India made pistols goes a long way. I guessing the addition of the front sight helps a bunch. In original form, they will shoot high. Very high in my past experience. You would have to aim at the crotch to get a hit in the chest. LOL so to say. Around 35grs. of FF or 30grs. of FFF seems to be a typical good load for these pistols. To me, they are 15-yard or less side arms. But that was probably all they were made for. They are indeed fun to shoot. Speaking of French pistols, here is a 1690's and 1766 French pistols for comparison:

Rick
View attachment 317362View attachment 317363
Hi, Rickystl - mine is also shooting very high. When you say they shoot high "in their original condition", do you mean without a sight, and that adding the sight fixes it, or are you also referring to some other modifications? If so, I'd sure like to know what those other modifications are - I'm anxious to figure out why mine is shooting so high and how to fix it.

I've been looking for a new concealed carry piece :)

Seriously, you did a great job. I can see my hobby going in that direction at some point. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hi, Rickystl - mine is also shooting very high. When you say they shoot high "in their original condition", do you mean without a sight, and that adding the sight fixes it, or are you also referring to some other modifications? If so, I'd sure like to know what those other modifications are - I'm anxious to figure out why mine is shooting so high and how to fix it.
Hi Doug

These early smooth bore flint pistols were close range weapons. In my estimation, less than 20 yards. Since there is no sight on the barrels, it's hard to know where to point it at the target. As an example, I needed to aim at the bottom edge of the target white paper just to get into the black. LOL They will shoot that high. But you have to remember, back in the period, a man was a BIG target (and still is). So a hit anywhere from the crotch to the head was good enough. Again, these were not target pistols with rifled barrels and sights. They were close range, faster loading, military guns. The addition of the front sight on the OP's pistol should be helpful. With practice the front sight can be filed down to where the pistol basically hits where he points. Smoothbore pistols, like smooth bore fowlers/muskets are pointing guns versus aiming like rifles. In original type form, with no sights, you just have to aim/point very low. Just my experience.

Rick

Hi Doug

These early smooth bore flint pistols were close range weapons. In my estimation, less than 20 yards. Since there is no sight on the barrels, it's hard to know where to point it at the target. As an example, I needed to aim at the bottom edge of the target white paper just to get into the black. LOL They will shoot that high. But you have to remember, back in the period, a man was a BIG target (and still is). So a hit anywhere from the crotch to the head was good enough. Again, these were not target pistols with rifled barrels and sights. They were close range, faster loading, military guns. The addition of the front sight on the OP's pistol should be helpful. With practice the front sight can be filed down to where the pistol basically hits where he points. Smoothbore pistols, like smooth bore fowlers/muskets are pointing guns versus aiming like rifles. In original type form, with no sights, you just have to aim/point very low. Just my experience.

Rick
Thank you, Rick - I will try that next time I shoot (as soon as the rain lets up here in Washington). I've actually built a shooting cradle with measured angles, just to know for sure the angle when the trigger is pulled. I've also ordered some different-sized balls and patches (the ones Compressorguy uses) to see if that makes any difference, since he reports no problems with his pistol.

Back