• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New one finally done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work, but I expected no less from you. It is about time for you to learn to engrave a little, and I think that gun would look even better with a bit more carving, at least behind the cheek, and a little something on the box cover perhaps. :thumbsup:

I have a couple of other upcoming guns that I will try to make more "spectacular"... :grin:

I know, technically, how to engrave, but am not nearly good enough right now to do it on a gun. I have had very little practice.

"Kit"!!!! them's fightin' words!

The guy supplied the lock, barrel and stock blank. It's a Colerain barrel and Chambers lock. The brass parts are stuff I had on hand already (I have a dresser drawer FULL of triggerguards and buttplates and such).

Thats beautiful.Remember that when you die you said you were going to leave me one of your hats , well , put that gun with it as well!!! :thumbsup: --cheers zodd

Stophel said:
Just got this gun done, finally.

This is another 1750's-1760's "German-American" smoothbore gun. It is done in an "as new" finish, which is HARD for me to do! AF stained (naturally), neutralized with lye, and the grain filled with a spirit varnish of buttonlac and mastic. Top coat is my boiled linseed oil/rosin varnish.
www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks/1760

Tell me what you all think.

thats outstanding chris,i like the finish on the stock.
bernie :bow: :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! i dig the finish on the stock.......any tech threads on how you get it to such a deep,mellow sheen?

as usuall a very nice looking gun and very believable for an early gun, lots of good pics on detail as well, your work is up there with the big dawgs my friend, it is always a treat to see another of your creations :thumbsup:

Great job! How did you get that aged finish on your barn gun? I'm fixing to start my first build and that's the finish I'm after.

Stophel,
Outstanding Job!!!! Very clean lines and without question, you have captured exceptionally well, the architectural details that make the mid 18th C. Pa-German guns so appealing.
I especially like the carving and stock finish. If it shoots as good as it looks, you will not be disappointed...
PA Rifleman

Don Powell said:
Great job! How did you get that aged finish on your barn gun? I'm fixing to start my first build and that's the finish I'm after.

That's a secret I shall take to my grave!

:grin:

Actually, which gun are you talking about? The Berks barn gun, or the pre-rev barn gun (which actually I think is kind of a fantasy piece)? The Berks gun has nothing special done to it. The other one, well, all I can say is NO black paint was used!

Latest posts

Back