• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gungho

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a 54cal GPR about 2 years ago but now I am thinking of getting a 62 but cant figure out if I should get a smooth bore or a rifled one any help would be appreciated :confused:
Gung

Smoothies are great!The best of both worlds. That big RB will do a number on big game and I was really surprised at the accuracy out to 75 yds with my GM 62 SB.

Load it up with shot, and go after bunnies, squirrel, or birds.I think if given the choice of only having one ML, it would be a smooth bore :thumbsup:

can you expect any accuracy on longer shots with the smooth bore I can get 2.5 to 3" groups at 100yrds with my 54 GPR also what kind of velocities can a person expect with a round ball
thanks
Gung

gungho said:
can you expect any accuracy on longer shots with the smooth bore I can get 2.5 to 3" groups at 100yrds with my 54 GPR also what kind of velocities can a person expect with a round ball
thanks
Gung

you arent shooting PRB's in your GPR? i know for a fact im getting 1650-1900fps with a patched roundball(and before any of you know it alls jump in yes i chrono'd my gun and loads) i would think the only issue your gonna have is the width of that ball. it takes a fair amount of powder to push .62 cal. at any speed.

I only shoot PRB as my barrel has a 1in60 twist it seams to shoot realy good the problem that I have is I love to shoot it and end up going through a lot of powder in a day
gung

gungho said:
I only shoot PRB as my barrel has a 1in60 twist it seams to shoot realy good the problem that I have is I love to shoot it and end up going through a lot of powder in a day
gung
lol,,,,,,,i love my GPR too! but think about it, how much are you using in a day? moving from a .54cal to a .62 cal how much more you would shoot.

gungho said:
I bought a 54cal GPR about 2 years ago but now I am thinking of getting a 62 but cant figure out if I should get a smooth bore or a rifled one any help would be appreciated :confused:
Gung

If you plan to shoot small shot, use it as a shotgun, get a SB. If you plan to shoot solid shot, PRB like a rifle, then get a rifle.
If you can hit something with a patched ball from a SB you can hit it better with a rifled barrel.

Dan

I shoot .58 caliber rifles for PRB. I also have a .62 flint smoothbore that I shoot .600 RB's and shot out of. Personally, I probably won't hunt Big Game with the smoothbore because out here in the sage country, 100 yard shots are quite common and I feel the rifle just does a better job at ranges over 50 yards. I am not willing to risk losing an opportunity on an animal by packing the smoothbore. If I lived in an area that had multiple tags for antlerless, I would definetely love to use it, or in places that have thick cover and closer shots as the rule. I will use my .62 primarily as a shotgun for hunting birds and the rifles for big game. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

if I was to use it strictly as a shotgun would I be beter off to go a little bigger especialy if I wanted to shoot ducks and gees have never shot a flint shot gun but think it would be some kind of fun as I love to tinker and a shot gun would have so much to tinker with
Thanks
Gung

Since you already have a rifle that you are pleased with, if it were me I would go with a good smoothbore--probably a nice long barreled fowler in 16 gauge. It will handle all the usual shotgun game and throw a ball that is big enough to deal with anything you are apt to run across. It will be more effective on geese than a twenty bore. If ducks and geese are definitely part of your plans, then I would go with a long barreled 10 or 12 gauge.

I had heard that "smoothies do it all" and I'd love to watch someone else take after ruffed grouse with a Bess like I did. I think I was one for 24 shots after 200 flushes.

Smoothies do a lot, but some smoothies come closer to doing "all" than others. ;-)

This is very true! My 20 bore fowler with a 42" barrel weighs 7 pounds. A Bess is at least 3 pounds heavier. And a fowler of the same bore and barrel length as a Bess will be at least 2 pounds lighter and have a completely different feel and balance to it. It will feel more than 2 pounds lighter for example. And it will still throw a ball with the same velocity as the Bess if asked to. But as a birding piece there will be no comparison. The fowler wins hands down. :thumbsup:

sorry for the stupid question but what is the difference between a fouler and a shotgun I am fairly new to all of this so you will have to forgive my ignorance
Gung

It's a very good question. I hope I'm up to answering it satisfactorily.

They both perform the same function. A fowler in the truest sense is a long barreled, fullstocked, smoothbore, flintlock birding piece that can also fire patched ball if necessary.

Shotguns are later versions of fowlers often with two barrels instead of one. Barrels are much shorter and the stocks are of the half stock style. They are usually percussion guns. They too can usually handle patched ball well.

These are generalised descriptions and I'm sure others will add anything I left out. I'll just add that few guns are more effective and none are more elegant than a finely crafted fowler.

I go along with those descriptions.

When you say fowler (or "fowling piece") it generally indicates a long barreled (36" to 46" or even longer), smoothbore flintlock bird hunting firearm.

Shotgun is a later distinction and usually a shorter (30" & less) percussion smoothbore.

Musket is a beefier military style smoothbore (though there are rifle muskets).

Trade gun is a fowler on a budget.

And there is, as always, lots of gray area and overlap. Smooth rifles, militia fowlers, coach guns, etc., etc.

Firearm descriptions can also depend on your point of reference and root language: French, English, Dutch, Prussian, Austrian, Holy Romam Empire, etc. There was no Germany prior to 1866 or so. Ain't nuttin' ever easy! :haha:

Ah, but a long fowler in the first misty rays of dawn, in the uplands--perhaps with a favorite dog at your side--how sweet it is! Shotgun is just too prosaic--there is no music to it--it doesn't sing or stir the soul in the same measure as the long and elegant fowler does.

gungho said:
Gung

There is much good in each of the above replies, but since you have an excelent rifle I would suggest you go for a good fowler or trade gun that can be used for small game, bird, and (with ball)large game.
I would personaly look to something of about a 16 bore for excelent all-round versatility.
My 67 cal. trade gun will power a .648 patched ball with enough umfph to dispatch a 200# deer and help it the rest of the way across the creek with 70gr.of 3f. The only thing I could add would be a good double of similar bore for birds (flint of course).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

would a 16 bore be sufficient for water foul such as ducks and geese am learning lots and am looking forward to having a new toy but with the expense I want to make sure that I get the right one
thanks
Gung

gungho said:
Gung

Go ahead and buy both!! As soon as you get your first you'll be hooked. You've gotten some good advice which would be hard for me to top. If you want an all around gun, a fowler is hard to beat. It will cover you're birding needs as well as shoot a round ball respectable out to 50 yards. I know folks shoot farther than that but that's my limitations.

Russ T Frizzen said:
Ah, but a long fowler in the first misty rays of dawn, in the uplands--perhaps with a favorite dog at your side--how sweet it is! Shotgun is just too prosaic--there is no music to it--it doesn't sing or stir the soul in the same measure as the long and elegant fowler does.

Well said, sir! :hatsoff:

Back