• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New German rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, here's the latest. It took me a lot longer than it should have to get done. I got so far behind for everyone. This is a gun I restocked for someone. A "Pistor" rifle. I convinced the guy to go "civilian" with it, and he let me ditch the hideous Brown Bess military sideplate. He just had to keep the funneled rod pipes, though. It ends up as your basic, common North/Central German rifle of the 1730's-1750's. There are several points on the gun that I am not happy with, but these things I had no control over (vent liner, lock position, deep front sight dovetail, etc.). None of which really kill my soul, though.

It's MUCH better than it was before (in my opinion!)

Click the link and then cycle through the photos by hitting the box marked "next" in the far right (or bottom, depending upon the screen layout).
[url] http://photobucket.com/albums...locks/?action=view&current=Underside.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir.....you must have been told so many tymes
how good your craftsmenship is and being as
good as you are you don't need people to tell
you what you already know..A complement to me
was that someone appreciated my work..I do sir
appreciate your work...I also appreciate your
ability to display your talents..Something that
I still must learn..I heard of a class I can go
and learn..I do now have a digital camera.....
.....Hope I learn what I need to be able to
share as well as you do........I don't think i
will get that good...Thankyou for sharing...

Beautiful in every respect! Is that stump cut English Walnut? Whoever selected the stock blank has an excellent eye. Notice that the grain runs down the wrist angle to the butt plate! The grain coloring makes me think English as opposed to American Walnut :hatsoff:

Do you have a copy of the new book Steinschloss-Yagerbuchsen, Kunstwerke der Buchsenmacher aus dem 18.Jahrhundert? Mein Freund Ron Ehlert sent me a copy less than a week before he died. I'm betting that you have a copy, but if you don't,you NEED to :thumbsup:

Everyone should have the "Jaegerbuechsen" book. This is what ALL gun books should be like!

The wood is American walnut. VERY nicely colored. A bit of curl. The wood is relatively hard, but was rather coarse, which was odd (generally, the coarser it is, the softer it is). After filling the grain, it looks all the world like nice European walnut from near the stump.

I have another blank rather like it, obviously off the same tree. It has less curl, but even more vivid colors, with the red, black, and tan (even almost white) stripes.

That will do nicely. Beautiful work. :hatsoff:

Be warned - I hit "Browse" instead of "Next" and I got an image of "Pantiestheclown" from someone else's Photobucket submission. :shocked2: I like your work better. :winking:

Nice! What lock is that? TRS? or the Davis lock? How long is the pull? The sideplate is extreamly cool! I resently came up with that Buttplate and trigger guard, I can hardly wait to use them.
I figure the majority of the jeagers that made it here during the 18th century looked about like yours.

The hardware is The Rifle Shoppe stuff. If it were my gun, I would use a buttplate rather taller (and maybe even a bit wider). Pull length is my "standard" of about 13 1/2".

The sideplate is a blatant copy of the plate on a German rifle in RCA...I think the one right before the Pistor gun. I like that gun much better than the Pistor rifle anyway! Love that octagon nosecap.

The lock is a Davis lock, which was what I was sent, duly (and heavily) modified to look better and function better. One of the big problems with this and other locks, is the lockplate nose being too low. Many old European locks have an upward curve on the front end to bring the nose into line with the front lock bolt. This one was really wide, and really low. I fixed that. The frizzen spring is something I got from the Rifle shoppe years ago and never used. The cock is...well, I'll see if you can figure out where it came from... :winking:

Great work, Chris. :bow:
I hope that it shoots like it looks.Or is it still a :hmm: virgin.
Oh, btw, what cal. is the Jäger?

Der Fett' Deutscher said:
Everyone should have the "Jaegerbuechsen" book. This is what ALL gun books should be like!

You are absolute right with that.It's an a magnificent book.
:thumbsup:

It's .54 and still hasn't been fired. When I got it in it's original stocking, the triggers wouldn't even function at all, and it couldn't fire! I'll give it a few test shots in a few days.

Back