• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new fowler build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the starting stages of a new build. I already have a super nice blank of walnut, and need to decide on barrel. looking at a 20 gauge but would like a round all the way barrel. It will be a English gun. It will be used squirrels and turkey. i had a colerain turkey barrel but could not shoot round balls. also thinking of a 16 or 12 gauge. what you gents think?

Bowkill Im a 12 ga fan. I use my smoothbore mostly for turkey so I like all the shot I can get to pattern so its 12 for me. I too am starting a fowler build but I will save my info for another thread so I dont hijack yours. Good luck in your build sir :hatsoff:

16. I have one in the works, and one I bought from Tip Curtis, haven't killed a turkey with it yet.

I was leaning toward a 16 or 12. You giving out any recommendations on a 16? :grin:

Another happy 16'er.

Some makers 16's are lighter than their 20's since both barrels have identical exterior dimensions.

I'm a big fan of the 16ga.#1 I like to be a bit different, #2 as others have stated the colerain 16 ga. is lighter then the 20 or the 12ga.Heres a pic of the 16 ga. fowler I built from scratch last year . I went with the 44" Colerain American Fowler barrel. It is an open choke not the turkey barrel. I opted for this barrel so it could be used for all around hunting if I choose. This was my 1st turkey with this gun. I shot her at 30yrds. with 80 grains of FFF,OS card, 1-3/4 oz. #6's and 1 OS. card and it smoked the bird. The gun is also very forgiving to carry all day when small game hunting.

100_2918.jpg

That indeed is a nice bird and that gun looks very fine. In fact, it looks a lot like mine, which is also an E. American fowler I got from TVM. Though a 20ga, I find them versatile in the extreme.

For the most part no, but in some tight briar patches and such and shorter barrel would make it a bit easier to get around.

Bowkill,

If you want round, you can go with a 20 bore from Barbie Chambers. I think it is a Long Hammock and about 41".
That barrel is more of a fusee type.

For an English fowling piece I would recommend ordering a huge breeched round barrel with flats at the breech from Ed Rayl in 16 bore and about 38". If that is a direction you want to go, pm me and I will give you specifics on what to order.

I really like colerains turkey choke barrels. I have one in the for sale section with a 36'' barrle 20 gauge and thats whats also in my personal gun. Great all around bird gun barrels and shooting buckshot is a hoot.

Back