• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New flintlock movie Comming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to be a pretty good movie if they ever release it. I can handle the religious aspect of the movie for the simple fact, that is what it was like for some--just like it is today.

Matt85 said:
from my understanding the movie is heavily based on religion and faith. :td:

just not my cup of tea.

-matt
Agreed. It sure looks like its pitting the christian god against savage godless beasts... I think I'll pass.

It looks pretty good to me. A lot better than most of the manure they come out with today.

I'm not too hung up of the "Noble Savage" bit after reading Empire of the Summer Moon" or "Indian Depredations in Texas" and a couple others. So if this movies shows how it really was, that's alright with me.

Oh, come on now Snakebite, don't be hard on the redman. We all know that abduction, rape, genocide, slavery, torture, and cannibalism ain't no big thang' as long as it's not a white man perpetrating it against some other race!

People /tribes and civilizations have been butchering and enslaving their neighbors from earliest recorded history.

Certainly people of European ancestry do not have anything close to a monopoly on the practice, but seems that we have a monopoly of the blame.

All that said....Movie looks pretty good!!

Mike Brines said:
Looks good. I don't watch many movies, but this might be a keeper.
Don't cry, Cynthialee!! I have one like you at home. Have to keep a box of tissue close by.
yeah CynthiaLee, so does my wife :surrender:

creek

Has anyone been able to find this movie anywhere to watch it in full? I can't seem to find it anywhere ,has it actually been released?

I am having trouble getting access to the trailer.What is the name of the movie? -Smoothshooter

I'd enjoy seeing it but I will wait for it to hit Redbox where I can see it for $1.50. They haven't made a movie yet that I want to see badly enough to pay $8 each to get in and then the jacked up prices for a drink and popcorn. Just for my wife and me to go to a movie today costs $25 to $30 if we get any munchies. I might pay that for good seats at the Second Coming but for a movie so some jackass actor can get $5 or $10 million for acting in it.....not a cotton' pickin' chance. If it's good, it will make it to Redbox soon enough. If it's not, then it sure wouldn't have been worth the cost to go see it in a movie theater. Just sayin'. Others may disagree....... and that's okay.

I agree Snakebite. After reading The Frontiersman and other novels my feelings are that the "noble savage" was not and they gave as good or better than they got. They were used as pawns by the British who paid bounties for white scalps. I've read first person accounts of atrocities that were so bad as to chill my bones. I've let my wife read a few of these but the worst I tell her not to read. I can't imagine the fortitude of the people who lived through these times.

rdillion said:
I've read first person accounts of atrocities that were so bad as to chill my bones.
Most people would be surprised at the brutality of life in the 18th century in the white world, but it's something that is never discussed. The punishments handed down by the legal system amounted to atrocities in many cases. People were branded, had their ears notched or nailed to the stock and then cut off, they were tortured, broken on the wheel, burned alive, racked, drawn and quartered, etc., and it was all legal, the will of the people. And most of it was done publicly. So, I imagine they saw what we now call Indian atrocities in a different light than we do.

Spence

:) Yeah makes our modern media witch hunts for calling someone a name look very sad .AAAHHH you used a word from the forbiden zone . :rotf:

I don't think I can compare seeing someone branded to finding your six children scalped and piled up like garbage. The mother who had her infant torn from her arms and thrown into a fire probably felt as bad then as a mother would in these times. :2 I say again that I admire the fortitude of these people. I wish more people would take the time to discover the true history of this country. :hatsoff:

I checked their Facebook page, and they posted an image of folks "on the set" yesterday..., so seems like it's still in filming, not post production yet..., I'd bet more on April 2014.

my feelings are that the "noble savage" was not and they gave as good or better than they got. They were used as pawns by the British who paid bounties for white scalps. I've read first person accounts of atrocities that were so bad as to chill my bones. I've let my wife read a few of these but the worst I tell her not to read. I can't imagine the fortitude of the people who lived through these times.

I think we need to recognize that "nobility" among people practising absolute warfare (intentional slaughter of any living person on the opposite side) occurs when the attacker/winner shows mercy and compassion. The attitude of the 17th, 18th, and 19th century Europeans and Americans was that any peoples without civilization (large towns/the wheel/writing) were expected to simply slaughter any enemy they found, in as grusome a manner as possible, and the Indians were thought to classify the "enemy" as any person on the opposing side from infant to very elderly.

Then those in contact with the Indians discovered the Indians adpoted some non-Indian captives into their families, and treated them as equals, some attaining rank among the population. This confused the stereotype, and further when at peace there was often hospitality from Indian to the Europeans that would not have been shown between differing European groups, nor from European toward Indian, in many cases. This caused more confusion. So the idea of the "noble savage", which was a sub-group thought to be among the vast group called "Indians" was thought up to explain away the confusion.

I will wait for it to hit Redbox where I can see it for $1.50. They haven't made a movie yet that I want to see badly enough to pay $8 each to get in and then the jacked up prices for a drink and popcorn. Just for my wife and me to go to a movie today costs $25 to $30 if we get any munchies. I might pay that for good seats at the Second Coming but for a movie so some jackass actor can get $5 or $10 million for acting in it.....not a cotton' pickin' chance. If it's good, it will make it to Redbox soon enough. If it's not, then it sure wouldn't have been worth the cost to go see it in a movie theater. Just sayin'.

Funny, I never worried about what another man made in his private work, as long as he wasn't defrauding or a thieving to get it. Now a public servant is different, but a private person who is an actor, doctor, plumber, dentist, accountant, lawyer, inventor, engineer, etc and etc... nope, never saw it as my business to be concerned, nor to complain, nor to boycott. :shocked2:

As for not seeing it in the theater, well unfortunately the dollar rules in the production of movies in Hollywood and independent films. So IF you want more films in this genre..., you will only see them if they make what the producers and investors see as "good money". So if we all wait to rent from Redbox..., we will probably continue to wait. Let's see it's been 21 years since LOTM, 20 since The Broken Chain made-for-TV-movie, ..., I wonder why such a long gap between those productions about the Eastern Frontier and this one..., when there are so many stories yet unmade such as The Deerslayer, Rabble in Arms, or Oliver Wiswell, or remade such as Drums Along The Mohawk or Northwest Passage ....,

from my understanding the movie is heavily based on religion and faith.

just not my cup of tea.

It appears so far to be more of the explanation of why and how the captives survive to include their mind set, rather than an endorsement of a specific religion hidden in a movie where folks wear funny clothes. People in survival situations often draw on a mental source to overcome the physical difficulties. Some are determined to return to loved ones, some are determine to "complete the mission", some are determined to excape and return in the future to seek revenge, and some turn to their religion. In the movie Castaway Tom Hanks often stares at the photo of Hellen Hunt (who plays his fiancé), which gives him the mental toughness to fight to survive and to escape his island. Would you have disdain for that movie had he talked to Jesus from time to time instead of inventing a companion out of a volleyball named Wilson? Should folks have disdain for that movie becasue he didn't pray and instead talked to "Wilson"? :hmm:

OR, perhaps should we go and see the movie for ourselves, and then decide whether it was an authentic part of the character's culture for that time period, so belonged in the movie, or was simply a roundabout endorsement of religion.

LD

Back