• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Documentary (sort of) About BP Cannon Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrufflerSteve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The world premier of 'Blasted!!! The Gonzo Patriots of Hunter S. Thompson' will be Saturday the 18th at the Denver Film Festival .

The film maker is trying to have this picked up by some cable channels so hopefully it will be coming soon to a TV in your living room.

I'm in it. The fellow who got the most screen time was wearing a pink suit and a pickelhaube. He also had a dancing all girl crew - The Swabettes. It's hard to compete with that! He had a rather unconventional bowling ball cannon that he used to great effect at point blank range on a variety of objects. He made a few comments that made me wish Claypipe would suddenly materialize next to him in full SCA regala.

OTOH, my naval cannon had the best recoil. We set it up on flat hard ground and I used stout, but safe, loads so that it really moved. I also have a handgonne & Coehorn mortar in it.

I haven't been at all active on this board lately or doing any shooting. Between moving, new jobs & relationships I've had no time.

Steve

Hunter Thompson stole my the idea of my last wish. When people ask me how I want to be laid to rest, my answer has been, "Roast me, Toast Me, Then Shove Me down the barrel of a cannon and shoot me into the wind. That way, everyone there can kiss my ash!"

CP

Claypipe,

Something that may or may not interest you.

My wife and I use the Betzwood section of Valley Forge Park to access the Schuylkill River Trail with our bicycles. After 3 years I finally read the park rules.

According to their literature there are two areas, fields I guess, on the main portion of the park where they permit the scattering of one's ashes. They ask that they be contacted before the time the ashes are to be scattered. They don't want any elaborate affairs. Just some place for the really patriotic to be in sort of holly ground.

It premiered yesterday to an enthusiastic crowd. Most of the Swabettes even attended. It is next going to be shown at a festival in Rotterdam in January.

This certainly isn't a documentary like Artillery Games. Watching the different groups you can see who just got or made a cannon and who has been involved in the cannon communities. There is some appallingly unsafe behavior so education and reaching out to fellow cannoneers might reduce those stories we read about.

Money quote: At the end, all of us who took part were brought up front. One fellow, Paul Stone said, "Everyone thinks Americans are gun happy. We like artillery too."

A trailer for this can be found at Artillery Pictures.

CrufflerSteve said:
There is some appallingly unsafe behavior so education and reaching out to fellow cannoneers might reduce those stories we read about.

You ain't kidding! I just saw the trailer and immediately noticed that the Civil War gun crew member began swabbing the piece before it was searched. :hmm:

Back