• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New boomer on the way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortstart

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well there goes the mad money! I just ordered 20 x 20 Howdah pistol from Cabelas. Don' t have a clue what I'm gonna do with it. Probably make lots of noise and smoke.
Anyhow, I'd love to hear from anyone on the forum that has one and what they use in the way of loads for both ball and shot. Also, any words of wisdom are always gratefully accepted? Thanks in advance. Bill

Ha! I did the same thing! Mine is supposed to be in today.
I've been reading up and watching youtube vids on the item.
20Ga SXS, no idea what I'll use it for, other than entertainment.

Read the owner's manual, they know about what they manufacturer. There are some folks here who attempt to over load pistols.

"watching youtube vids on the item", I trust the manufacturer more than some back yard video producer.

Richard Eames said:
Read the owner's manual, they know about what they manufacturer. There are some folks here who attempt to over load pistols.

"watching youtube vids on the item", I trust the manufacturer more than some back yard video producer.
You and me both, Sir! I saw one video, where a very incompetent guy, put 100 grains of 2F in each barrel, looked down the barrel loaded when it dropped out a RB and then, handed it to his unknowing "friend" to fire it! Dangerous is an understatement! :youcrazy:

I saw part of that video. Turned it off when he said "100" grains. Don't know what happened. As they say "you can't fix stupid"!

I recently purchased a 12 GA pistol and one online seller of that brand suggests a load of 230 grains cannon powder. Yyyyyikes! DANGER Danger

With all of the stupid idiots out there overloading their muzzleloaders, it's a wonder we don't hear of more of them blowing off parts of their anatomy.

It actually says a lot for the guns being sold.

Well, I'm a Happy Shooter! My Howdah, now known as "Howdy!",
came in the brown truck delivery today! I got the 20 SXS and the ramrod is the captured type as the originals. I'll get it cleaned up and go to the range, once it's not 115o+ outside in AZ! It came in clogged with grease that has since dried up and became hardened.
Which type of ramrod came in on your's?
Just curious as to which ones they were blowing out for cost.

AZ Longrifle said:
Well, I'm a Happy Shooter! My Howdah, now known as "Howdy!",
came in the brown truck delivery today! I got the 20 SXS and the ramrod is the captured type as the originals. I'll get it cleaned up and go to the range, once it's not 115o+ outside in AZ! It came in clogged with grease that has since dried up and became hardened.
Which type of ramrod came in on your's?
Just curious as to which ones they were blowing out for cost.
I agree about a little cooler weather. Tom Knoight built me a .62 cal flint pistol Fired it a few times with ball & now that I'm working on some shot loads for the fusil, I'm ready to try shot from it.

Just got delivery of more castor oil today & want to treat some paper for shot wads with it. If you want, next time we meet up I'll bring you some castor oil & DA to try.

Also got my Loyalist Arms Fusil de Chasse this week. I asked for no stain or finish & now have a great kit gun that I can do extensive woodwork on to make it look non Indian-ish. Compared to Middlesex, the Loyalist has a much better quality lock.

As soon as mine shows up and after I get it cleaned, my start load will probably be 30 - 35 grains and a patched ball. Not interested in trying to make a hand held cannon out of it. The old hands can't take the beating anymore. It'll be interesting if I can get it to shoot with shot in one barrel and ball in the other. I would prefer a non- captured rammer but all of the new ones appear to have the swivel. I'll be waiting to hear how yours shoots.

Ramrod I do not have the pistol you ordered but I do have a 20 smoothbore flint made by Joe Schell. I shoot 30 grns of ffg with shot loads and 30 ffg with a 600 patched ball. Its pleasant to shoot an does all I want it to do.

Hey AZbpBurner,
That sounds great! I was working this weekend and the heat was just too much! I'm really looking forward to October. I'll be working on some shot loads for Hunting with you next time we can meet up! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Well, it's here. The Howdah showed up this afternoon. Looks good except for the in letting around the trigger guard. I've seen better. However, I'll be out shooting it tomorrow for sure. A Z Longrifle, what're you shooting in yours? After reading the manual, my idea of starting around 35 grains is listed as maximum load. Was planning on topping out around 50 gr's. guess not. Still should be a lot of fun.

I'm still working on load data for this beast. So far, I've found these barrels are the same used on the Baker Shotgun model. Being this has no stock, I'm going to max load this at 50-60 grains of FFG. I've owned a Navy LeMat for a number of years, and load the Shotgun barrel, which is actually 18 gauge, with the same powder charge. The LeMat is a lighter weight pistol by about a pound, but isn't overly harsh on the charge using buckshot. Charge weight with birdshot I'll keep with 1oz. or less, and a .610 RB. These are my own loading practices and I do not recommend these for usage in your pistol if you're sensitive to recoil. Also, these are over the factory loading data provided by the manufacturer. Be safe working up your own loads and powder charges!
Safety first and have fun!

Shot the Howdah today. I tried the recommended max loads 35grs. And one ounce of#6's. won't penetrate a soup can at 20 feet. It produces one heck of a pattern on cardboard at that distance though. I only tried one ball with 35grs and managed to hit a growler beer can (empty) at 25 ft. I was gonna stick the barrels in a can of water to clean until I noticed that the spaces between the barrels and ribs are open. Looks like JB Weld time.
By the way, has anybody tried a product called "Wet Ones" for a quick clean up? They are for cleaning your hands. They come in individual packets and when torn into strips do a great job of cleaning up black powder. I use them on pistols, smooth bores, and rifles and they leave very little do when you get home.

I have a 20 gauge flintlock pistol. I generally shoot 40 gr. ffg and 12 4-0 buckshot. In this way, o lack of accuracy is noticed. Don't shoot any anything hard that is too close as the buckshot sometimes bounce off of hard things. Recoil is moderate.

I'm still trying loads in the Howdah pistol. One shot load consisting of 1 1/8 oz. of 6's over 50 gr's 2Fg put 51 pellets in gallon water bottle at 10 yards. Awesome pattern but still not good penetration. A round ball shoots dead center at the same distance. Probably minute of home intruder though. What loads are other happy Howdah owners using?

Cut your shot load down to about 5/8-3/4 oz and the penetration will go way up.

That 1 1/8 ounce load is about equal to a 492 grain slug over 50 grains of powder in a very short barrel.

IMO, that combination won't be moving very fast as it leaves the muzzle.

Back