• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Barrel,,different twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncmtmike

Passed On
Reaction score
So got the new barrel for upcoming anniversary,old barrel was 1-60,new barrel is 1-32,please tell me my roundballs will shoot out of the new barrel :surrender:

They will shoot out of the barrel, it is up to you to find accuracy and report back on your findings.

TC rifled some of their barrels 1 in 32, I do believe, specifically for patched ball and conical. My brothers TC Hawken is an absolute tack driver with a patched ball. I also know of others who get exceptional accuracy with patched ball and faster twists such as 1 in 28 etc.

mtmike said:
So got the new barrel for upcoming anniversary,old barrel was 1-60,new barrel is 1-32,please tell me my roundballs will shoot out of the new barrel :surrender:
No hands on experience with a 1:32" twist...closest have been 1:48" in shallow groove .45/.50/.54cal T/C factory barrels.
I will say, on the premis that I don't know how a "round sphere" could be "overstabilized", I'd suspect it'll shoot just fine.

This one is Great Plains,hope it shoots good :confused: no cash to restock with "bullets" :nono:

You should be okay. Just adjust the powder charge. Faster twist barrels with a patched ball sometimes won't tolerate maximum velocities and still retain good accuracy but will usually always dial in pretty tight with just the right charge. Some might consider 70 grains to be too weak for deer hunting but I've seen it shoot all the way through them broadside plenty of times.

Maybe start with 50 grains of powder and keep moving up in 5 grain increments until either:

your shoulder can't take it anymore,

you reach the 120 grain max recommendation for the barrel, or,

the grouping gets worse than you can live with..

Mtmanjim is right--1 in 32 twist will shoot patched round ball just fine as long as you don't try to push it too fast. I regularly shoot .495 patched round balls from my 1 in 28" twist .50 caliber rifle with excellent accuracy. Tight patch/ball combination along with light powder charges are required. My .50 rifle works well with 50 to about 65 grains of FFg before accuracy goes south.

mtmanjim said:
You should be okay. Just adjust the powder charge. Faster twist barrels with a patched ball sometimes won't tolerate maximum velocities and still retain good accuracy but will usually always dial in pretty tight with just the right charge. Some might consider 70 grains to be too weak for deer hunting but I've seen it shoot all the way through them broadside plenty of times.
After extensive reading of our hunting forums I would say that the proper minimum powder charge for a .50 while hunting deer is about 50 grains of 2 or 3 F, so long as you are in short ranges, say 60 yards or closer.
Now myself I use the powder charge best suited to giving me good groups, which in my .50 happens to be 80 grains of 3F powder. If I got good groups with 50-60 grains at 60 yards I would use that charge.

The depth of the rifling grooves have more affect on accuracy/velocity than just the rot. If the grooves are shallow too much powder may cause the prb to strip on the rifling. If they are fairly deep they will accept a pretty fast ball.

Why did you buy a 1/32 twist barrel? I would have went ahead and bought a 1/66 or a 1/56 twist barrel if I was going to shoot roundball with it.

mtmike said:
This one is Great Plains,hope it shoots good :confused: no cash to restock with "bullets" :nono:
This sounds like the Great Plains "Hunter" barrel for the GPR rifle. If it's the same one, mine was a 50 caliber version and though I never tried patched RB in it, the most accurate conical I found was a 220 grain Lee REAL bullet in addition to a lubed fiber wad, which gave me 1 inch groups at 75 yards using 90 grains of 3f Goex. Recoil wasn't pleasant though and after 5 shots or so, my shoulder screamed "enough"! This may not help you if you're dead set on sticking with PRB but the point I'm trying to make it that the rifling may not give you good accuracy using a patch and ball combination. I agree with others that 50 grains of 3f would be a good starting load, shooting three shot groups and then increasing you charge by 5 grains and repeating until you find the sweet spot of hit maximum. Good luck!

My wife wanted to surprise me with it,so I promise it will be figured out,might have to swap bullets yes,,but can't/won't fuss at the wife for her not knowing the difference :shake:

GOD only knows how long it took her to save for that barrel :hmm: All she knows about my GPR is that it's right-handed and a flintlock,doubt you could go much further than that,with that info, :nono:

You'll get 'er dialed in Mike. You may have to tinker with patch thicknesses a little too as that PRB/conical twist combination might possibly have shallower rifling grooves than a slower twist for PRB only.

mtmike said:
A target shot at 32 yards off hand with my Jaeger and a 1:28 twist. So yes your new barrel will do just fine.
33cn51c.jpg

who is the co. that sent the barrel. 1 in 32 is a bullet barrel 1 in 48 is a cut off for rd. ball or bullet. if u wanted it for rb. ball send it bck.

Latest posts

Back