• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Never too old to learn........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varsity07840

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First day out this year for whitetail. Gun of choice was a musketoon length rifled Springfield
1842 rebuilt from a shortened original smoothbore.
I still hunted to my stand, pulled off the cap so I could hoist the gun up safely. Recapped with the same cap and settled in. 45 minutes later, a buck sneaked in from behind me giving me a less than perfect shot. I figured it was now or never and pulled the trigger. CLAP!!. No cap ignition. I pulled it off the nipple and looked inside the cap. No primer inside the copper!! Must have been jarred loose and fell out when I yanked it off before. I actually got the chance to recap, but by then he moved into some cover and I didn't
like the shot, so I had to let him walk away. I saw the primer in the cap body when I loaded the gun from the capper, so I know it wasn't a dud.
Next time I'll use a new cap when I get in the stand. Actually, I'm not too disappointed because the shot he offered me had more "Hail Mary" than I would have liked. Probably worked out for the best.

Duane

:hmm: I've saved and re-used many of 'em. Never had that happen but I'll be watching for it now. Thanks for the warning. :hatsoff:

I'm wondering if those were Remington caps. Seems like every time open a tin there are a few loose pellets floating around, already fallen out of the cups before they ever got near a gun.

Thanks for the heads up!

BrownBear said:
I'm wondering if those were Remington caps. Seems like every time open a tin there are a few loose pellets floating around, already fallen out of the cups before they ever got near a gun.

Thanks for the heads up!

They're Dynamit Nobel winged musket caps.

Duane

When I used cap guns, I never trusted the shot to anything but RWS caps. Never had a problem with 20 years of hunting with them.

It takes me only a couple of seconds to visually check my capper after all the caps are in and upright, to see if any are missing the propellant. I have found some with all the brands of caps I have tried. That includes Remington, and RWS. I had a CCI cap where the propellant also was on the side wall of the cap, and I removed that cap for safety reasons.

When I am hunting, I flip my wrist to throw a cap down into the mouth of the tool, glance down to the up-turned capper to give the cap a final visual check, and then put it on the nipple. I have not suffered a misfire because of a defective cap- ever. It only takes a small effort to do a visual check. Oh, I also visually check the capper the night before a hunt at home, to see how many caps are in it. If I have 25 or more, I am good to go. I have extras in my range box in the trunk.

Swampy said:
When I used cap guns, I never trusted the shot to anything but RWS caps. Never had a problem with 20 years of hunting with them.

I usually hunt with a flinter. This year I planned on using a fullstock Hawken, but I had some last minute trouble with it and I didn't have time to shoot it again before the season started. The musketoon was a summer project that went well. It was already sighted in so I figured it was a good opportunity to give it a try. Can't blame the gun, but I guess it's another reason to shoot flint.

Duane

Dang stuff will make you cuss sometimes, but smile ALL THE TIME!

Good luck on him next time!
:thumbsup:
Wess

Back