• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need stock making info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wszumera

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was searching around looking for tips on how to make a stock from scratch. I didn't do so well since I couldn't come up with good key words.

So if someone would be kind enough to post suggestions on books or web links to give me tips on doing this, I would be gratefull.

Thanks,

Clutch

"The Art Of Building The Pennsylvania Longrifle", by Ehrig, Miller, and Dixon, goes into detail about how to stock a rifle from scratch, or use a precarved stock. Its focus is on hand tools, exclusively, but most of us who do this substitute power tools as we see fit. This book is a must for anyone who's going to build guns.

Hopefully, there are books with similar content that others can recommend. The one I described is the only one I own that contains the information you're after.

Good luck! :hatsoff:

The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Peter A Alaxander is an excellent book with all the information you need plus a ton of illustrations. It can be bought from Track of the Wolf. You can also check George Shumway's website as he has quite a few excellent books on the subject of muzzleloading rifle building.
Good luck with your build. :thumbsup:

Peter Alexander also has a series of videos that act as a companion to his book. Sometimes seeing what he is talking about makes things clearer. The book "Gunsmith of Greenville County" is more detailed though.

I also recommend Shumway's "Recreating the American Longrifle".

Thanks for the suggestions.

I decided to go with "The Gunsmith of Grenville County"

How many that replied have two or more of books that were suggested?

Clutch

Clutch said:
How many that replied have two or more of books that were suggested?

Clutch

I have Gunsmith of Grenville County, Recreating the American Longrifle, The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle, as well as RCA vol 1, and Kindig's book. I refer to all of them, but mostly Art of Building and Grenville. I refer to RCA and Kindig for styling and such. I will probably refer to them more when I get into scratch building for measurements and such.

All of them are excellent books. Grenville is probably the most detailed and informative, and I like Art of Building for its simplicity. I also have Gunsmithing Tips and Projects, which has some really great articles by John Bivens on carving and finishing and such, as well as some good articles on suppository shooters (if you're into that as well).

I have The Gunsmith of Grenville County , The Kentucky Rifle by John Dillin, Rifles of Colonial America Vol. 1 and 2 by George Shumway, Recreating The American Longrifle, plus Thoughts on The Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age by Joe Kindig, Jr. All excellent books. :)

All of them are excellent books. Grenville is probably the most detailed and informative, and I like Art of Building for its simplicity. I also have Gunsmithing Tips and Projects, which has some really great articles by John Bivens on carving and finishing and such, as well as some good articles on suppository shooters (if you're into that as well).

Thanks for the reassurance I likely bought a good first book. I'll likely have a few more from the suggestions in the future.

My home is held down by bookcases :)

Clutch

Clutch, I', a Meechegander also, and I have and recommend both books all the time, plus my collection is always growing. The others speak the truth, they're worth the price. What part of the mitten state ya from. I'm up in Gaylord. Bill

Clutch, I require all my students to purchase and use Dixon's book. It's not as fancy as Alexander's book, but it's got all you need. Mike Brooks has already told you about a labor of love that he has put together for this site. You'll do yourself a disfavor if you don't check it out. Cheers, Bookie

Mike Brooks said:
Here ya go. I did this last winter. Do aa advanced search under both gun building 101 and gunbuilding 101 and my name.
Gun building 101 part 1
There are 7 or 8 parts I think.

That was a good series of posts. My uncle made me burn your 101 to a cd for him. He was really impressed by your posting. I found 7 of them, hope I didn't miss an eighth.

Clutch

Bookie said:
Clutch, I require all my students to purchase and use Dixon's book. It's not as fancy as Alexander's book, but it's got all you need. Cheers, Bookie

Two weeks until the next paycheck. Mr. Dixon's book will be next on my buy list.

Thanks,

Clutch

Back