• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some better sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MH WASH

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to replace the factory sights on my Traditions Hawken. I plan on hunting deer this fall with my muzzleloader and my current sights just dont cut it. I am more concerned with accuracy than authentics. The Lyman hunter sight set has caught my attention. My rifle was purchased in 1994 if that helps.

I am new to the sight and plan on learning alot.

The Williams Firesight is a fibre optic sight(Front and back)That are made to fit many differant types of muzzleloaders.I installed a set on one of my Thompson Center muzzleloaders that I use only for deer hunting.They are great in low light situations.
I found the ad for mine in a Muzzleloading magazine but I'm sure if you search for them on Google you'll come up with the info.

The Lyman Hunter set should have bases for .360" dovetails, which will fit your Traditions. If the bases happen to be bigger (my never-reliable memory tells me there's also a version of the Hunter set with .375" -- 3/8" -- bases), you'll need to file the dovetails in the barrel a hair larger or the bases of the sights a hair smaller. Either way, no big deal -- it's only if you buy .360"-based sights for 3/8" dovetails that the wailing and gnashing of teeth occurs.

Fiber optics give far and away the best sight picture in low light, due to their absorption of any available light, but I've always found the "3-dot" picture on modern handguns and rifles equipped with these sights to be distracting. I'm building a muzzleloader around a CVA Bobcat barrel for a young lady who'll buy an in-line if she's not rescued in time, and this barrel came with Williams sights installed. I can safely say that I don't care for the arrangement, based on having shouldered and sighted the gun numerous times, but that's strictly my highly-biased preference. The sights do show up nicely when the only light in the shop is the daylight that makes it through one very small, very dirty window.

I'm pretty sure Cabela's sells both the Lyman and Williams sight sets through their catalogs and on-line. Dixie Gun Works sells the Lymans, don't know about the Williams, but they're pricey. Brownell's, the gunsmith supply house (also a tad on the high side), sells the Williams, and I'm pretty sure the Lymans as well.

If your looking to get a peep sight check out the Williams sights. I think its the WDOS. Or you can just use the V style rear site instead of the peep. I've done it to my ML. They are very inexpensive and easy to install.

By the way welcome to the forum. I hunt the Colville area for Whitetails. Below is a photo of the sight on my Underhammer.

355883.JPG

Thanks, It sounds like any sight with a .360 dove tail will work. I will have to check out a few supply houses and see whats out there.

MH WASH said:
Thanks, It sounds like any sight with a .360 dove tail will work. I will have to check out a few supply houses and see whats out there.

Right you are, any sight with a compatable dove-tail will work, the only real question is what type of sight does the job for you (what do you like to look at).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I have the Lyman "hunter sight set" on my Great Plains Rifle and they are a lot easier to see (for me) than traditional sights. The white bead on the front sight is terrific.

Well I got the Lyman hunter sights, .360. As it turns out my rifle's dove tail is around .336. So I guess a little file work is in order.

My traditions (kit) came with plastic front and rear sights and I called them to inquire about it. They sent/sold me a set of steel sights for $30~ or so, I don't recall the exact amount.

Anyways, the new rear sight they sent me is nearly identical to a TC contender sight, except for the notch. The front is a tapered post with a bead on top. I like them much better than the original.

Back