• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Recent Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished up this rifle several weeks back. I'll say its a generic Lancaster that has a good bit of Dickert and some Haines in it. I built it from accumulated parts and a clearance sale stock I've had since 2006. The rifle turned out well even though it tossed some challenges my way during the build; including very soft wood, and a buried rot pocket behind the cheek that extends into the box cavity on the offside. That forced me to change my carving elements, but I was able to work around the issue with simplified carving. It's going to be a hunting rifle so I decided on steel furniture even though historically it would have been brass mounted. The barrel is a Colerain 38 inch, Early American, B weight in .50 cal. Lock is a lefty Chambers Siler. Wood was colored with Laurel Mountain Maple stain and Laurel Mountain Ebony stain in a 6:1 ratio. Lock plate, cock, trigger plate, side plate, toe plate, nose cap, thimbles and screws are fire blued. Barrel, buttplate, frizzen and triggerguard are rust blued. I experimented with Mark Lee's Express Blue #1 for the rust bluing and was well pleased. It is easy, fast and it left a deep, nice finish. You don't need a humidity box or a boiling tank. I used a piece of two inch PVC piped capped on one end as my "tank", and poured in boiling water to cure the finish. Finished weight of the rifle is 6 pounds 10 oz.
Very Nice!

Beautiful work especially the repair and carving.
Being right handed it is hard to visualize working on a left hand flintlock , but since my younger grandson is a southpaw I may have to!
Thank you! I think being a lefty does help with building a left handed rifle.

I like everything about the way that rifle turned out. Everything from parts selection, to inlay and carving, final finish and coloration of wood and metal parts. The workmanship on display here is extraordinary.

I think blued barrels are under-represented these days. Yours looks really good!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I like everything about the way that rifle turned out. Everything from parts selection, to inlay and carving, final finish and coloration of wood and metal parts. The workmanship on display here is extraordinary.

I think blued barrels are under-represented these days. Yours looks really good!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thank you very much Bob! I appreciate you comments.

Back